cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm really freaking depressed due to the new rash of buyers.

Over $500 in the hole this month on my bank account.

No returns means nothing anymore, and if a buyer buys for instance a piece of software for Mac, opens it and discovers they own a windows computer, your SOL.

Buyer's don't read, they don't research, they don't lift a finger, and eBay now pretty much expects me to be Amazon or Walmart and eat returns.

The agents that work for them now all read off scripts, won't listen, and won't help.

Had someone buy a printer off me, and despite having to deal with the death of my grandma, they claimed they weren't a "tech person" and I spent over 3 hours helping them, but it was apparent from the get-go that despite spoon-feeding them advice, they just wanted their money back.

I got a bit irrational due to grief and told them my grandmother died, and what do I get in reply? "Knock it off with your **bleep** sob stories". I even sent them a copy of the obit that had my name in it.

I'm really sick of this world and a lot of the people in it, who have zero, and I mean NO EMPATHY whatsoever for anyone else, and they would press a button if it meant they got $1M but everyone they knew died.

They don't care about you, they don't care that you use the money from sales to feed your family and pay bills..they want their item and they want it now.

There are just way too many selfish, entitled **** in this world anymore, who are long overdue for an attitude adjustment.

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

While Im sorry about your grandmothers passing, what does that have to do with helping your buyer? And to send him the obit is well..kind of strange.But you are right about one thing, buyers want their item, and they want it now.No excuses.i see in one of your negs that you claimed you were in the hospital and your buyer called you on it..doesnt make you look too good.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 25
latest reply

I am so sorry to hear you are having to deal with the grief of losing your grandmother and the added stress of demanding customers.    Some customers can be real jerks and sometimes forget that "we are people too".

You should treat yourself to something nice and hopefully that will help cheer you up.

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

If you ever thought that "no returns" meant anything significant, then you were, frankly, delusional.

If/when a buyer claims an item to be not as described or defective, and opens a case for same, the seller is required to send the buyer a prepaid return label if he wants it back.

When the seller receives it back, he's required to refund in full.  Your interpretation of "no returns" is a little surprising, given your experience here.

Sorry about the buyer's going off on your grief, but maybe he's heard that too many times and has quit believing it.  

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

Sorry for your issues at hand...I do hope things get better for you.  You can't let people get the best of you...it's really not worth it in the long run.

Take a breath, settle down, have a glass of wine and see what tomorrow brings.  

My condolences to you and yours concerning the passing of your beloved grandmother. 

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

@bargainsandbaubles 

Really sorry to hear the passing of your grandmother,  they are very special people in our lives.

I understand your need to vent and it's ok, it's a very challenging world and sometimes it's not very friendly. 

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

@bargainsandbaubles wrote:

No returns means nothing anymore, and if a buyer buys for instance a piece of software for Mac, opens it and discovers they own a windows computer, your SOL.

Buyer's don't read, they don't research, they don't lift a finger, and eBay now pretty much expects me to be Amazon or Walmart and eat returns.

The agents that work for them now all read off scripts, won't listen, and won't help.

Had someone buy a printer off me, and despite having to deal with the death of my grandma, they claimed they weren't a "tech person" and I spent over 3 hours helping them, but it was apparent from the get-go that despite spoon-feeding them advice, they just wanted their money back.

I got a bit irrational due to grief and told them my grandmother died, and what do I get in reply? "Knock it off with your **bleep** sob stories". I even sent them a copy of the obit that had my name in it.

I'm really sick of this world and a lot of the people in it, who have zero, and I mean NO EMPATHY whatsoever for anyone else, and they would press a button if it meant they got $1M but everyone they knew died.

They don't care about you, they don't care that you use the money from sales to feed your family and pay bills..they want their item and they want it now.

There are just way too many selfish, entitled **** in this world anymore, who are long overdue for an attitude adjustment.

@bargainsandbaubles 

First and foremost, now is the time to focus on you and your family.  All the rest is just white noise/static and not productive.

Perhaps place your listings on time away for a few days so you can mentally reset from all that you have been thru recently?  I know it seems counter-productive with everything happening, but when we are stressed/emotional, etc - we tend to make emotional decisions, not business decisions.  

Some Buyers are mean and that is being kind.  

I solve all sorts of stress with chocolate or pie.  If I can combine the two - look out!

I do not have advice as regards your return issues.  Personally, having a no return policy seems to work against a Seller - offering 30 day returns, Buyer pays to return, works very well for us.

Yes, returns are really tough sometimes - especially when the light bill, rent, grocery bills are due.

Years ago, a sage Seller who was in a group with us told us she set aside $2 from every sale for returns.  I do now also and have oddly, probably 15 years later, never increased the amount.  In fact, my handling fee is $2 for this very reason.  

At the end of the year, I carry a portion of that forward for returns from the Holidays and then when a return does occur, as it always will it seems, there is something set aside to hopefully work to offset it.

Hoping tomorrow is a better day for you and that the wonderful memories you have of your Grandmother carry you thru this difficult time.  God bless.

Katz

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 7 of 25
latest reply

"I'm really sick of this world and a lot of the people in it, who have zero, and I mean NO EMPATHY whatsoever for anyone else, and they would press a button if it meant they got $1M but everyone they knew died.

There are just way too many selfish, entitled **** in this world anymore, who are long overdue for an attitude adjustment."

I am sorry that you feel this way, but understandable at this sad time of grief for you.

One of the drawbacks of this new age of online selling is the loss of personal interaction.  It is highly impersonal, and at times this feels brutal. 

It is a challenge not to take the hits personally. 

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

@katzrul15 

You made me cry katz

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

@earthdreamer wrote:

One of the drawbacks of this new age of online selling is the loss of personal interaction.  It is highly impersonal, and at times this feels brutal. 

It is a challenge not to take the hits personally. 

I first started selling in 2007, but really haven't had as many issues since Covid.

I really think all the time at home people had away from other people, has had some sort of psychological effect on social interaction.

Between 2007 and 2020, I had about four issues that prevented me from shipping, either health or other factors, and literally everyone was apologetic and understanding.

This year wasn't really my year, I had Covid, a kidney stone that would of required surgery had it been any bigger, costochondritis, and of course my Grandmother's passing more recently.

This time, despite some orders only being 3 days outside of my handling time, people lost their minds and went off on me anywhere from 15-30% of orders each time this happened.

You go into stores now and morale is terrible because employees are sick of it too.

Almost every other time I'm in line at customer service, I see grown ass adults act like little kids when they don't get their way. It's absolutely mind numbing how little patience people have anymore.

I read a lot of seller stories on Reddit, and often how people go nuts at an estate sale, you didn't see this kind of behavior in such frequency before Covid.

I also partially blame eBay, because eBay tried way too hard to become Amazon, and eBay was originally meant for smaller sellers, but I noticed when they started allowing commercial accounts and established brick and mortars or .com's like Toy's R Us, Best Buy, etc sell on their (which makes no sense as they have their own site already), they really set the bar high for a lot of individual sellers or sellers with a couple employees.

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

@katzrul15 wrote:

@bargainsandbaubles wrote:

@bargainsandbaubles 

First and foremost, now is the time to focus on you and your family.  All the rest is just white noise/static and not productive.

Perhaps place your listings on time away for a few days so you can mentally reset from all that you have been thru recently?  I know it seems counter-productive with everything happening, but when we are stressed/emotional, etc - we tend to make emotional decisions, not business decisions.  

Some Buyers are mean and that is being kind.  

I solve all sorts of stress with chocolate or pie.  If I can combine the two - look out!

I do not have advice as regards your return issues.  Personally, having a no return policy seems to work against a Seller - offering 30 day returns, Buyer pays to return, works very well for us.

Yes, returns are really tough sometimes - especially when the light bill, rent, grocery bills are due.

Years ago, a sage Seller who was in a group with us told us she set aside $2 from every sale for returns.  I do now also and have oddly, probably 15 years later, never increased the amount.  In fact, my handling fee is $2 for this very reason.  

At the end of the year, I carry a portion of that forward for returns from the Holidays and then when a return does occur, as it always will it seems, there is something set aside to hopefully work to offset it.

Hoping tomorrow is a better day for you and that the wonderful memories you have of your Grandmother carry you thru this difficult time.  God bless.

Katz

(I solve all sorts of stress with chocolate or pie. If I can combine the two - look out!)

rtggf.jpg

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

I'm sorry to hear you're having such bad luck.

I'm really surprised to hear when someone has such bad luck with buyers.

Most of my transactions go off without a hitch.

In the last 4 months I had approximately 400 transactions and I only had 1 return.

Hopefully things will get better.

So sorry to hear about your Grandmother.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 12 of 25
latest reply

My therapy is donuts, whipped cream and Chardonnay.

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

@moondogblues wrote:

My therapy is donuts, whipped cream and Chardonnay.

Nothing there that I would say no to!

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

wow

Message 15 of 25
latest reply