cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm fed up with GTC

This is the 2nd month in a row that I am getting nailed for HUNDREDS of listings that I wanted to end that were automatically relisted.  I am pretty sure I had over 24 hours from now to end those, but they got relisted anyhow and I'm stuck with the fees.  Looking at the listings they have 31 days 16 hours plus left before they end.  I started them initially on May 29.

Where did I go wrong?  I thought the ebay press release was that if I started them on May 29 then the 29th would be the day they get relisted every month, yet here I am on the 28th and they were relisted.

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: I'm fed up with GTC

@mistkistcranberry wrote:

Where did I go wrong?  I thought the ebay press release was that if I started them on May 29 then the 29th would be the day they get relisted every month, yet here I am on the 28th and they were relisted.

You thought wrong.

The way I read the update, July is the last month for renewals using the old rules, and August is the first month for the renewals under the new rules. 

• Item listed on May 29
  • Relisted June 28 (based on old rules)
  • Relisted July 28 (based on old rules)
  • Will relist August 29 (based on new rules)
  • Will relist September 29 (based on new rules)

From the Spring Seller Update: 

"EXAMPLE: Listing created prior to July 1, 2019
A Good 'Til Cancelled listing that was created on January 30, 2019 and has renewed every 30 days (i.e., March 1, March 31, April 30, May 30, and June 29), will renew on July 29. When it renews on July 29, subsequent renewal dates will be set based on the day the listing was created (January 30), using the new monthly calendar schedule. Thus, the next renewal dates will be August 30, September 30, October 30, and so on.

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2019-spring/marketplace-updates.html

I will admit that they chose the worst possible example, because the July 29th renewal is due to the old rules, not the new rules - but it just happens to also be the same as the original listing day. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 10 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

This is the 2nd month in a row that I am getting nailed for HUNDREDS of listings that I wanted to end that were automatically relisted.  I am pretty sure I had over 24 hours from now to end those, but they got relisted anyhow and I'm stuck with the fees.  Looking at the listings they have 31 days 16 hours plus left before they end.  I started them initially on May 29.

This eBay scheme to generate fees needs to end.

You can contact:  The FTC's Bureau of Consumer Protection

Just replace the G in GTC with an F Smiley Indifferent

Message 2 of 37
latest reply

There are many sellers that are having a tough time with this change.  So you are in good company.  I'll share some things with you that you may or may not know that will help you better manage your listings in the fashion you feel is best.  Whether that is to leave your GTCs along and let them renew or end them before their renewal date.  The choice is yours.

Are you using the Seller Hub?  In the Seller Hub under Active listings you can clearly see how much time is left on any given listing.  That is the information you want to go by when deciding when you want to end a listing.

As of July 1st, changes were made to when a GTC renews as announced in the Spring Seller Update.  Many sellers were very upset by the 30 day renewal date and it was represented on many threads back in March and April mostly.  Ebay listened and they change how / when listings renew.

As of July 1st, the date your listing would renew in the month of July is driving by the ORIGINAL start date of your listing.  So if your GTC listing was originally started on May 12th, it would renew on July 12th.  This change makes listing only renew ONCE per calendar month.  So in July and August you may see some different renewal dates due to the renewal dates being driven by the date the listing was originally created.

But you can see the correct information in the Seller Hub which will only help you to better manage your listings.

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2019-spring/marketplace-updates.html

I hope this helps.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 3 of 37
latest reply

According to my ebay page, these listings started in the afternoon (our time) of May 29.  They were ended and relisted today at the same time, but today is July 28.  I was just getting on ebay tonight to end all those listings before they were supposed to automatically relist in the afternoon tomorrow July 29.

It's the same batch of listings that I got nailed with last month as well.  Now they are saying there are over 31 days and 15 hours left before they end (I'm guessing at the time they prematurely relisted today it said 32 days until they end).

Message 4 of 37
latest reply

@greg5000 wrote:

This eBay scheme to generate fees needs to end.

You can contact:  The FTC's Bureau of Consumer Protection

Just replace the G in GTC with an F Smiley Indifferent

The FTC has nothing to do with this whatsoever.  What is it that you feel could be reported to the FTC for action?

Certainly you can contact them, but they have nothing to do with this nor can they do anything to get Ebay to change this policy.

Ebay has every right to make this decision for their company.  It doesn't matter if we like it or not.  There is nothing illegal about it.  It was a business decision by Ebay and we have the choice to deal with it or not.  

Amazon has been GTC forever.  

Message 5 of 37
latest reply

According to my ebay page, these listings started in the afternoon (our time) of May 29.  They were ended and relisted today at the same time, but today is July 28.  I was just getting on ebay tonight to end all those listings before they were supposed to automatically relist in the afternoon tomorrow July 29.

It's the same batch of listings that I got nailed with last month as well.  Now they are saying there are over 31 days and 15 hours left before they end (I'm guessing at the time they prematurely relisted today it said 32 days until they end).

I've actually read about another seller that uses My Ebay instead of the Seller Hub with the same or similar problem.  

Let's see if we can get some clarification on this as it is definitely and issue that needs to be address.  Sellers need to be working with accurate information.

@Anonymous 

tyler@ebay 

Message 6 of 37
latest reply

The seller hub will show under 'active ilstings' a line item that is "ending today" - if the 'my ebay' is the one I'm thinking of, I wouldn't trust its accuracy due to it's possibly not being updated as I thought eBay was phasing it out.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 7 of 37
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

I've actually read about another seller that uses My Ebay instead of the Seller Hub with the same or similar problem.  

Let's see if we can get some clarification on this as it is definitely and issue that needs to be address.  Sellers need to be working with accurate information.

@Anonymous 

tyler@ebay 

I think I may be the other seller you are referring to. It's not happening the way you describe. Ebay is relisting them EARLY, with 32-36-40 day renewal times so that they renew on "the original date they were listed" in August. They seem to be renewing them early only to catch sellers who thought they had time left off guard and rack up fees. I see NO OTHER reason for them to be renewing early with 32-40 days left.

We called them out on the 30 day scheme, so while they are "correcting" that, they decided to do a one month quick money grab.

I would advise all sellers to look at how many of their allotted listings they have left this month, and do it ASAP. It might be way different than what you think.

Message 8 of 37
latest reply

GTC were based on a 30 day cycle...........2 days in May, 28 days in July..........so they end and relist at the time you listed on 7/28....

Message 9 of 37
latest reply

You thought wrong.

The way I read the update, July is the last month for renewals using the old rules, and August is the first month for the renewals under the new rules. 

• Item listed on May 29
  • Relisted June 28 (based on old rules)
  • Relisted July 28 (based on old rules)
  • Will relist August 29 (based on new rules)
  • Will relist September 29 (based on new rules)

From the Spring Seller Update: 

"EXAMPLE: Listing created prior to July 1, 2019
A Good 'Til Cancelled listing that was created on January 30, 2019 and has renewed every 30 days (i.e., March 1, March 31, April 30, May 30, and June 29), will renew on July 29. When it renews on July 29, subsequent renewal dates will be set based on the day the listing was created (January 30), using the new monthly calendar schedule. Thus, the next renewal dates will be August 30, September 30, October 30, and so on.

I will admit that they chose the worst possible example, because the July 29th renewal is due to the old rules, not the new rules - but it just happens to also be the same as the original listing day. 

Message 10 of 37
latest reply

If you use My Ebay selling page, do you have yours sorted "ending soonest"?  Mine shows a count down timer, so I check them first thing every morning.   So far I have had no problem ending in time any I do not wish to roll. 

Message 11 of 37
latest reply

I am sorry, but the Seller Hub tells you in no uncertain terms how many listing are ending on that particular day.  In red.  Don't blame eBay if you are not using the tools it gives you.

et.jpg 

Message 12 of 37
latest reply

It's all clearly explained in the 2019 Spring Seller Update. @luckythewinner has already posted the relevant verbiage, but here's a link to the update, in case you haven't read it yet.

Message 13 of 37
latest reply

Thank you, it makes sense to me now.

I read the spring seller update and saw the first box that says listings will end and relist the day they were created.

Then I read the second box and saw what would happen to my listings that were created after the 28th to see what would happen in February.

Then I read the third box and figured it didn't matter to me because I didn't have any listings as GTC in January like it said, I never used GTC until I was forced to at some point in April so that box didn't matter.

Thank you for clarifying for me.

Message 14 of 37
latest reply

I'm also concerned about that
Message 15 of 37
latest reply