cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I do no longer buy on ebay

To make it short and clear

I am extremly concerned about my privacy.

Anyone can see what I just purchased! It could be sensitive things. They could see if I have children for instance.

Buyers can see what I purchase for reselling.

They could see if I buy expensive items.

And so on.

I do not want anyone to see what I purchased this information is no ones concern.

I consider it a ridicule ebay is showing this information. What is it good for even? There might be legal protections about my privacy.

Again to make this short, I do not wish anybody to see what I just purchased or to be able to see what I usually purchase, where I purchase (the kinds of items).

Therefore I do no longer buy on ebay, besides few things I still do.

It has nothing to do I do no longer wish to purchase on ebay, I am extremly concerned about my privacy and consider my purchases are nobodys concern, including price item sellers or any purchasing patterns.

Id request ebay if they come accross this information to change this asap

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: I do no longer buy on ebay

to OP -

but you do sell on ebay according to your other thread - the PP card thing? 

Message 16 of 31
latest reply

@hitechworldtrading, as several other posters have noted, no one can see what it is another buyer has purchased.  Since you seem a bit paranoid about what it is others can see, I'm not going to post a screen shot of your feedback page as a buyer, so I'll post what mine looks like if you or anyone else but me were to view it:

Anonymous FB.jpgAs you can see there is absolutely no information about what I bought from any of the sellers listed.  Some might try to surmise based on the seller's ID, that I may have bought a certain type of item.  However, in most cases even that supposition would be wrong.  As for example, one might think the item I purchased from seller "nationalbookseller" was some sort of book.  It wasn't at all, but instead was a face cream.

If what you're concerned about is that your buyers/customers might be able to determine what it is that you are buying, as noted above they can't.  But if you don't want them drawing conclusions, the remedy is simple:  Don't buy on your selling account.   Set up a separate eBay ID/account specifically for your own buying activity.

If you're concerned your employees or family members will see what it is you're buying, again the solution is simple.  Don't leave your computer up and running and logged into the account you use for buying.  Or conversely, don't give others the login credentials to your buying account.

As for the rest of the world having prying eyes?  I don't know what else I can tell you to assuage your anxiety about that.  I've looked at your feedback as a buyer and I have no idea what it is you bought.  Your feedback page is as nondescript as mine is above and as is everyone else's on eBay.

It's only when you are logged into your own account and you call up your own feedback page can YOU see more details about whatever it is you purchased.  If you want to test it, go to a completely different browser you've never used to access your account (or clear all your cookies/cache on your usual browser) -- AND DON'T LOG IN.  Find your username via "Advanced Search," click on your feedback score, then the tab "Feedback as Buyer."   You'll see the same "sanitized" version of feedback left for you as a buyer as my screen shot above.

Hope this helps.

Message 17 of 31
latest reply

If you are worried that someone in your household is monitoring your use of eBay, you have several options.

• Don't leave feedback
  • Ask your sellers and buyers not to leave you feedback
  • Change your eBay ID. You will keep your feedback
  • Don't tell anyone your new ID.
  • Open a new account and don't tell anyone. You will need a different credit card to do this, but you can attach it to your current Paypal account.

However, you might want to talk to your doctor or pastor about your concerns.

LOL! 

That will work for the feedback route to what you've been buying. 

It is possible to go from the buyer f/b page to the seller f/b page (where the item involved is shown) and often figure out which item it was the buyer left f/b for from it.  But if no one knows your buyer ID, and therefor cannot get to your f/b page, then they can't tell anything.

But there's another problem.

eBay records everything you looked at based on your IP address.  If someone else in your household goes to eBay (even on a different device, and not logged in to any account), eBay will offer up the items recently viewed on your account to that device.  I know this the hard way, after my wife used her tablet to look at video game controller cables on eBay with my 11 y.o., and eBay showed them "products" I'd viewed on this account...  in an effort to figure out for another seller and the Product Catalog team why the #1 selling item in Magazine > Back Issues that was being shown on all Magazine > Back Issues Product Pages was actually a spray-on "sexual wellness" product for men. 

My browser automatically clears the cache and cookies everytime it closes, so it wasn't that, and I never have used that device anyhow.  So far as I can tell, there is NO WAY to prevent this from happening, so I'd advise everyone to be careful what you look at on eBay if you don't want to have to explain it to family members or anyone else who may access eBay from your premises/connection.

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 18 of 31
latest reply

If what you're concerned about is that your buyers/customers might be able to determine what it is that you are buying, as noted above they can't. 

Did you buy an Aretha Franklin Christmas CD? 

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 19 of 31
latest reply

@livadia wrote:

@hitechworldtrading, as several other posters have noted, no one can see what it is another buyer has purchased.  ... If what you're concerned about is that your buyers/customers might be able to determine what it is that you are buying, as noted above they can't.  .... As for the rest of the world having prying eyes?  I don't know what else I can tell you to assuage your anxiety about that. .....

The seller's feedbacck shows the listing titles.  We can see that you've bought Aretha's Christmas album, Debbie Mumm Santa spreaders, Betsy Wetsy, etc.

Message 20 of 31
latest reply

Everybody could determine, including the following but not limited to

-You have children

-You are rich (luxury items, gold, etc)

-You have an expensive car

-You buy home/house security items (they could know what kind)

As a seller you even have to display your address + name, perfect, full exposure to anonymus. Best leave the door open as well (basically everyone is good). Its a great self service pumpkin sale. Just deposit the money after taking the item.

It is actually hard to believe ebay is showing this information to anonymus.

Message 21 of 31
latest reply

@hitechworldtrading  If you "Buy" only and not sell I think you can make your account "Private" and nobody will see what you purchase on eBay.  Not sure about otehr sites.

When shopping at brick & mortor stores I recommend some type of mask or dark sunglasses and one of those fake nose and glasses things ...

nose.jpg

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 22 of 31
latest reply

auctionpet
Guide
This is one of the reasons I post all my items as private listings. I know there are people like the OP with concerns. No one is able to see what the item is in either buyer or seller feedback in the event any is left.
Message 23 of 31
latest reply

Several people suggested creating a buying id.  Another suggestion would be to check out as a guest every time.  It basically issues a new id for each purchase, so they aren't linked together.  The downside is that it becomes much more difficult to track your purchases.

Message 24 of 31
latest reply

It is all too much complicated.

When ebay started it was an auction site for once off things people had on their attic and so forth, used vehicles and stuff. People were believed they need reputation as a buyer, and they were egible to receive negative buyer feedback.

Many things were amalgated into ebay such as Buy now and GTC, as well negs for buyers were abolished.

Also when you study negs of large chinese sellers which I do for a long time to understand patterns of fraud and deception, youll see its pretty half baked. Some items show, some have a link, some are blank, and after 6 months, its different.

Totally Machiavellian, adding lots of small authoritan and superflous detail and variation in order to be in control.

I also know Aliexpress. Buyers can for instance add photos of merchandize received to item pages. They could write detailed comments if they wanted to.

To me all of this doesnt apply. I feel harassed each time I get nagged to rate DSR or leave FB and all the like.

I only want the item, pay and receive and that will be it.

Same for supermarket chains with their 1% off to let them know your spending patterns, and 10% student discounts (applied to extremlt overpriced items). I never understood what point theyre trying to make.

Cocacola and all the like billboards all day long everywhere such as you never heard of soft drink beverage cans, but if you see the billboard, best with large *BLEEPS* immediately you decide you need cocacola and leave all be jump to the next available store and buy 20 cans at least...

Totally useless. I go shopping anyway, and browse all the supermarkets and over time, try many things, always rotate brands because it becomes boring.

Yes I know theres people who for 20 years buy one and the same brand, one kind of jam, Irish breakfast perhaps every day and that will be it.

But most advertising and reward schemes, even the bright colors printed on the packages are totally useless.

However, as a  buyer, you pay for the administration, creation and processing of all these things.

Typically, white label products are 20% to 50% cheaper, and often its exactly the same goods.

These advertisers and marketers dont add any value but they of course receive salaries and this is rolled into the price.

On ebay I found sales do little next to nothing. 

What is important primarily and Ive learned it the hard way, the title has to be crisp and stunning, no baiting or superflous word. The picture has to be sharp and with perfect light and only about the product.

The price has to be "good".

It is a formula for success. I started from scratch, having some years experience on US ebay.

It collapsed pretty much due to several factors.

So I made new listings using the inventory on ebay UK.

I put efforts into making good pictures, to the point titles and descriptions no frills, and tried to make them a good price.

After a little more than a month, its quite a success. The sales conversion rate is quite good. There is no requests or bad FB (only very little marginally). Comments are outstanding which I receive.

All without special promotions, sales, frree shipping and other frills.

Without guaranteed 3 day delivery or free intl returns (totally rubbish and not needed by 98% of buyers).

I did buy some items again but they just dont understand, they think I could buy small parts for $1 and resell for $1.10 and could make a fortune. They dont understand the parts may be bad or may not sell. So there has to be markup.

Sometimes in the past when I sourced packages for resale goods on ebay, they did almost feel deceived, also not counting the long hours I spend well into the morning hours almost every night, to search for hard to find items. They also dont see I dont just dropship or resell chinese only but its a wide variety of goods from many different origins, and all prices are negotiable.

Last not least, I always help buyers when they have questions or dont get on with the parts they purchased, it is only a few percent of buyers, but I care for the smallest purchase and dont turn them away. So service is available if needed and it would cost tremendously to have a paid staff to do these services.

This is also a concern, they could see things I buy for resale.

Or is it I should rather create a blog with links to good deals? What is the point of all this? It takes ages to search for things, and put them together like a real world market in a way that makes sense, so I could get combined orders, large orders. Often a single seller stops selling the part in question and I need to get supplies from elsewhere pretty much every few months. For about 1000 items, its a large amount of work.

Yet some 2nd world place buyers see I sold for a large sum, or purchased at low price for resale and they almost get furious, perhaps decide to do a scam purchase. I dont know but often I got a feeling like that.

So I almost do no longer source on ebay. not to speak the price is 20% to 30% higher. There is some where it is same, or lower, and a few where it still makes sense to purchase here for resale.

For myself I dont care if they see I bought new laser toner or stuff like that.

But I also just simply dont want anonymus to see what I purchase. 

Same like we wear garments because we dont want public arousal, uncontrolled interactions, or giggling by strangers. We have this custom for good reasons, and Arabs even cover their faces and heads even go further.

Allowing anonymus to see how many transactions I am having (through amount of FB), when and what I sell and for how much, what I buy incl price and item descripton. It is analogous to go without garments in the public and say, theyre basically good, they wont freak out, incl children as well perhaps.

Well we dont, special population groups do that, but the ordinary people do wear garments and are reserved to have their phone number seen , their name known and all.

I feel exposed and I dont see any reason what it should be good for. That is the problem.

I think they should not be able to see how many transactions I am having, if my sales recently increased or decreased. Neither the value of a sale I made. And of course not, what I am purchasing for resale.

The primitive feedback on ebay is a remnant from the early days when it was all about auctioning once off attic things and used vehicles and all the like  and build a reputation as a buyer (as for auctions) to be welcome to bid, or less welcome.

Buyers should receive negative feedback of course, when theye misbehave.

We should see how many requests they have opened, if any. We should be warned if they opened a request with us before + be able to cancel the sale (high risk). Nothing the like.

As for me, once a request ends with a refund, this will be the end of the professional seller customer relationship. Why should I sell to them again? Beg them they could hound me again?

If the price is right, products are unique, well described, no time wasted with lamentations or superflous information, buyers will come.

If the items are cheaper at other places, if there is complicated procedure, tremendous amount of unneeded information as well stock photos, they will go somewhere else.

Ive taken a look at thousands of sellers on ebay and other avenues. Theres many bad ones, in terms of sales performance (sales conversion rate, inventory value compared to monthly sales).

Mostly stock photos, bad deals, totally overpriced, and without any affection to the items. Loads of such.

They are a ballast for ebay, a burden, they clog up search results and have relatively few sales.

They are the bottleneck. They make people leave ebay after looking and perhaps never come again.

The sellers who dont ship items on purpose, the items getting "lost" all the time in the post, the fake goods en masse (everything is fake products), the poorest quality products (often refered to as junk),

DO THEY ACTUALLY EXIST?

ALICE IN WONDERLAND PERHAPS.

You get what you pay for. I bought a bluetooth mouse some months ago, the battery spring is bent, the scroll wheel broke. Yesterday I openend it and the scrollwheel is thin plastic cheaply made (of course).

If it is pushed down its quite obvious it will break soon.

I have put some superglue and joined the broken parts, no problem.

Also I had to superglue the plastic shell since it needs to be tight. But it works again, no problem.

I got the chinese wireless mouse at very low price incl shipping, good deal, and I showed the appropiate affection to my product received.

How appropiate is it to want to return intl something that costs 5  dollars? Or get a full refund? When I used it for some months, and I was well able to fix it. I got what I paid for, functional, cheaply made of course, but not even looking bad. It does the job well.

So yes I do still buy but certain things I would rather not buy on ebay, and privacy concerns is a big reason. It is simply not anybodys concern what I buy. When I want others to know what I buy, I put it on social media. But these onliner feedbacks are just **bleep**.

Study them. You see the bad language full of insults and lousy grammar. I doubt it is people youd want to consult in real life. I doubt some small town US shop owner would argue, rather produce a baton or the like. Theyd have to leave.

In Ireland its so rough every tiny shop needs a security guard, hard to believe but it is like that. Youd be kicked out in 10 seconds they  dont bother. Here on ebay, they can harass, stalk, start a bogus purchase, open requests or fake returns. NO HELP AVAILABLE.

No button "THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THIS CUSTOMER". It should exist.

It is joke to have to call and having to spell some 30 letters weirdo username. It can be quite hard to spell unusual words on the phone and intl lines can be extremly low quality so you dont even understand regular talk properly at times, have to ask to speak loud and slowly and repeat.

Id just hate to spell weird usernames on the phone. Or random ones as such when they buy as guest...

This is a big conglomerate of problems and things amalgated and half baked and all is somehow related.

Message 25 of 31
latest reply

Well thats maybe how you see it.

In the past I shipped to Israel a few times.

A) Things did not arrive (so they said) and the requests were opened.

B) Some day, it caused arousal at the post office. It was just a scene and specific looks and attitudes displayed. From that day I always remembered the staff guy. It could be he was right wing or whatever. It could be he discussed the transaction in a pub.

Well it could be white mice but I always feld uncomfortable after that when I saw him.

Not in the UK but plays no role.

I had to exclude them from buying since I could not deal with the circumstances involved or arising from further purchases.

How would you react? Why would you want to be believed of as affiliated with them when in fact you dont have any connection. Rather guess you wouldnt want to.

Or how about when you buy and sell and have children, you buy things for them and they (your buyers) will be aware of your demographics. For sure youve had some bad buyers over time, requests, and fraud. Why would you want to expose your demographics to them, almost invite them to come to your home, or take the fraud further.

There is certain things that should be protected with privacy against anonymus strangers.

In the japanese countryside people leave doors open theres no locks. But also theres only toll roads so you couldnt move without being seen. The prisons are the worst of the world a place where you wouldnt want to be. And of course in the cities, there is locks as we have them.

In the US countryside you have pumpkin sales because its small communities where people know each other.

Try put some drink cans boxes on the 8 mile and ask to deposit the money. Seriously. I guess it wont be working out.

When you buy home security you wouldnt want anybody to know what kinds you use to protect you from intruders. Things like concealed recording devices. If your babysitter sees the item on your ebay facebook (everybody are friends), theres no point to concealed survelliance. 

Or everybody knows your firearms memoriabilia tobacciana habits just when they get know of yur ebay.

For sure, 98% wont even look at it at all. Even crooks would hardly boil down to play ebay feedback to find victims.

But the opportunity is there. They can see all, can learn about your demographics and all. Things that should not be exposed, are exposed.

Statistically, it already happened, bad buyers noticed some demographic detail or habit or purchasing pattern, and decided to do something like for instance an addtionall fraud or external fraud, or pass your information or sell it. Think how many transactions, it is only a question of statistics so these opportunities are and already have been exploited in some instances.

Id gamble on it this already has taken place a few times.

Or ask that way, what does prevent such a thing? What protection or help is available against exploiting your habits purchasing patterns or demographics?

We should be well able not to give any of this information to anonymus strangers.

It is not a question if authorities could access or see this information. The problem is this information is available to anonymus strangers, like a one way mirror so you dont even know at all.

I certainly dont want anybody to know I own concealed video recording devices.

The buyer should be well able to choose if anything about the purchase is shown to the general public, anonymus strangers who do not even need to log in or to have any account.

It seems to be one of the fundamental problems, you could do so as buyer but are not allowed as seller so you have to keep showing it, or need seperate accounts. Which is annoying and I already use 2 accounts. I now found I could use both with one browser but 3 accounts?

Think about this situation where you need a seperate laptop and internet connection for each internet portal you use.

One laptop for buying, one for selling or something like that.

Why cant they sort it out properly so even if you sell you can still choose differently for your buying.

And to have FVF refund as well if you purchase for resale (exists in real world, so called VAT free for business purchase).

As in many instances, it looks like they dont think into a real world seller international with many items selling for years. Rather domestic, specialized, few items, high price. Then they speculate for years what return ladies for used garments they dont need for their survival may require to have even better and easier returns. They put estimates intl but same as putting a FRAGILE sticker on a package doesnt prevent it from breaking, it doesnt actually make intl shipping faster or has any influence at all.

It looks like they dont think into the actual situations but rather what we should do or what the buyers supposedly are looking for how they shop.

I dont know maybe more buyers come but I have seen avenues where they dont come that much and around for years and if Id be seeing their items first Id never come back to ebay. Id be scared about all the lamentations, predicates for sellers, requests to rate and do feedback, all the complicated options.

Pretty pointless for instance in the UK "nearest first" but people do actually see these first so no wonder, I get many sales close to my city. Where is the point as the postal is next day nationwide. It would make sense for pickup but not for shipped.

Such things are countless on ebay, something real world and some Alice in Wonderland dream world, some translation of real world into ebay situations and how to deal with problems.

I hope some ebay staff will pickup on this privacy problem and sort it out properly to the end, so it is bulletproof. Even if you also sell, you dont need two accounts if you wanted to buy something, and have privacy concerns.

And consider the exposure for how many transactions, the poor oneliner feedback, no item show or disppears, others can not see photo of product received as proof how bad it is. As seen on Aliexpress.

BTW their seller ratings are well lower than on ebay, 97% or 94% are nothing special, but they say NOTHING about the shop or product, it is mostly nonsense. Never making a buying descision from feedbac score.

It might be different for auctions of once off things or bad vehicles but this is now mostly GTC Buy Now, and factory made items as well business sellers.

This needs to be changed and needs to become something different rather like on Aliexpress, they could write a detailed review, and upload photos, and this is per item, well making sense.

Theye could give proof of broken products or bad quality products received.

I have never seen any proof for the countless bad FB on ebay for chinese often I can only see title but no link, and often its just RAW bad FB without correlation.

Id like to see detailed info connected to a bad FB incl, long explanation, photos from buyer, as well original listings, in order to be able to recognize bad products on the market.

The FB as it is doesnt keep the community informed and safe, it makes the sellers a target for bad buyers, leaving a score for $2 same weight as $1000, no approval, no warning, no help (OK you could ask to have FB removed in some instance this is possible).

If weighted against the value my deviation from 100% is not 1.5% but 0.1% only.

Even these, are almost all about intl shipping which I do not control.

About the items its maybe 0.02% to 0.03%

On Aliexpress some 5% deviation can be quite normal and says nothing, never a factor to decide buy or not. I know the items are pretty much same or similar only different sellers. There is no such Alice in Wonderland thing as factories having avail especially bad or fake items for 1000s or 10000s of individual sellers.

There is distributors they only want to sell full boxes and no after sales services because this is very costly.

And then smaller sellers who provide these services or at least supposed to be.

But all the chinese market, is pretty much all the same items.

And I dont talk about used garments.

It is a shame how right now they go down the lavatory, two samples here I buy from them and theyre not that bad

https://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&ftab=AllFeedback&userid=robothome&iid=33216...

https://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=icstation&iid=352455872092&de=off&it...

What alerts me and caused me to write posts here again I have noticed their transactions dropped to abot 1/2 in 2018 and this seems to be an epidemic going on here on ebay, there is many affected in the same way.

Bad FB also increased during 2018 quite a lot.

I could by now clearly recognize it.

I could learn how many sales my concurrence is having, if their sales are decreasing or increasing, easily. no need even to log in.

Message 26 of 31
latest reply

@hitechworldtrading  Thanks for putting the time in to write that reply ... mine was being honest as well as humorous because you seemed serious on one hand but a little paranoid on the other.  eBay allows Buying accounts to be set for Private so nobody can see what the Buyer is purchasing.  But if you want to Sell on eBay you need another ID to do that because Selling accounts can not be Private.

The 2nd part of my reply, with the picture of the disguise, was meant to be a little humor, sorry if it offended you, that was not the intention.  I was however making the point that when people purchase things in public stores they are often captured on video tape at checkout, there is a store receipt generated listing what is purchased even if paid with cash and on and on ... so sadly, whenever someone goes to a public store anything they do there needs to be treated as public for all to see.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 27 of 31
latest reply

Thanks for your reply no I dont Im not offended at all.

Of course when I couldnt buy food even Im scared but when sales are good, I also feel good.

Theres some tendency to roller coaster and has been for a year or more.

Only the change to more domestic sales was a game changer in that matter. Like a spider in a house, considering the following: No birds, no rain, no freezing. Perfect! No INR no foreign language insults no after sales contacts. Much easier than international.

I had my US account on hold and from what I can see, no possiblity to recover. But I quickly listed almost all domestically, starting with what I thought would sell fastest. After only a week or so, I saw it could work and then put maximum efforts into a full scale fresh start. Well I also still have the US avenue open and it does recover somehow and theres no new requests recently.

I changed the shipping provider and it was considerable effort. Soon their first invoice will be coming and I have some money in the bank.

When sales are good and I can pay bills, there is not much that could make me feel uncomfortable.

I hope the buying feedback will be removed some day, it is canned congrulations which I do not read at all.

I never leave feedback when buying recently and I think I never left negative feedback at all. Its just too much efforts to think about some insult or reprimandation. For sure if the purchase was really outstanding bad Id probably refer to it at other places online or when talking to people if there is opportunity.

Id carefully consider their other products on sale such as not to have any affairs with them if theres no good reason.

Message 28 of 31
latest reply

Break out the tinfoil hats people, they are coming to take us away!!

Message 29 of 31
latest reply

Yes we can see what you buy............no we don't care

Message 30 of 31
latest reply