cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Business account? Or call to get selling limit increased?

I usually only sell a few items a month, but I have to move next year and I've begun aggressively selling items from my collections / household that I don't want to move.

I've reached my selling limit for September in # of items and I also seem to be getting near to reaching the dollar limit for the year(?).   It says I have a limit of $5000 and right now I've sold $4139 worth.  Since I have a couple collection items worth a lot of money, that is concerning.  When does this number reset?  January 1st?

Anyway, the site is suggesting that I either upgrade to a business account or call eBay to request a higher limit.

What kind of requirements come with a business account?  Will eBay flip out when I finish downsizing and once again am only selling a few items a month? 

One page says something about being required to enter UPCs for every item . . . but I typically sell vintage items.  I don't know the UPC for a Keyper sold in 1984, etc.   Is there a mechanism to get around putting the UPC for vintage items?

Thanks for any help!

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

eBay finally called me back, and raised my monthly limit to 180.  🙂

View Best Answer in original post

Message 10 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Seller limits are MONTHLY limits, and can adjust upward automatically or on request.

Mine for example are 1000 items or $30,000 per month (I never have come even close to that 🙂

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/selling-limits?id=4107

Business account? I know nothink.

UPC's for vintage/OOAK? "Does not apply"
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

@sapphireseal wrote:

I usually only sell a few items a month, but I have to move next year and I've begun aggressively selling items from my collections / household that I don't want to move.

I've reached my selling limit for September in # of items and I also seem to be getting near to reaching the dollar limit for the year(?).   It says I have a limit of $5000 and right now I've sold $4139 worth.  Since I have a couple collection items worth a lot of money, that is concerning.  When does this number reset?  January 1st?

Anyway, the site is suggesting that I either upgrade to a business account or call eBay to request a higher limit.

What kind of requirements come with a business account?  Will eBay flip out when I finish downsizing and once again am only selling a few items a month? 

One page says something about being required to enter UPCs for every item . . . but I typically sell vintage items.  I don't know the UPC for a Keyper sold in 1984, etc.   Is there a mechanism to get around putting the UPC for vintage items?

Thanks for any help!

@sapphireseal, if you're just selling personal/household items you don't need to upgrade to a Business Account.  Business Accounts are generally for sellers who sell a large number of items on a regular basis, buy/produce items for resale, etc.   See:  https://www.ebay.com/help/account/account-getting-started/setup-verify?id=4191

eBay doesn't impose any yearly selling limits on sellers, though they do allow sellers to sell "X" dollars/"X" transactions PER MONTH.   My guess is that your *monthly* selling limit is $5,000 and you've sold $4.139 in the last year.  If that's the case, you have nothing to worry about and there's no need to contact eBay to request an increase in your monthly selling limit.

For more info about selling limits and how to see what your current limits are, go here:  https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/selling-limits?id=4107

Regardless of what sort of eBay account you have (Individual vs. Business) if you're selling vintage items, don't worry about having the enter UPC codes.   UPC codes didn't exist when most vintage items were manufactured so it's a non-issue.  eBay may *try* to come up with a coding system for vintage items eventually, but there is none at the moment so you can just leave any UPC code fields that may be present in a listing form for a vintage item blank.

Hope this helps.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

@livadia  You're right about the dollar selling limit;  I was reading the page wrong and it turns out I don't have anything to worry about as far as that goes.  🙂  Phew!

Thanks for the info about vintage items!

Although I'm okay as far as a $$$ limit goes, I have run into my limit of "100 items" per month.  I guess I will stick with a personal account, but try to get eBay to raise my monthly limit.  I have a lot to sell before I move.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@sapphireseal

It isn't clear from your post and I am a bit confused about your comment saying you have you "hit your limit of 100 listings per month."  Non-store accounts usually come with 50 free listings a month though sometimes eBay will run a promo giving non-store sellers some extras which could account for why you have more than 50 to play with in a given month.  Or maybe you have a "Starter Store" subscription which comes with 100 listings per month?

If you reliably want more listings a month, you might consider/upgrade a store subscription.   The Basic store level would give you 250 listings a month.  Cost is $21.95/mo if you sign up for an annual subscription; a bit more per month if you don't want to be locked in to a year-long contract but you could try a store subscription for a few months and see if you like it.

Store subscriptions come with several "perks" including the ability to put your listings on vacation and at the Basic level and above you also get a $25 coupon good for eBay-branded shipping supplies every quarter.   For more info see: https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/run-your-store/subscriptions-and-fees.html#m22_tb_a1__2 

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@livadia

I'm not sure why I have 100 listings a month, but that's where it currently stands.  I think I originally did have a limit of 50.  It was several years ago so I don't remember how I came to have 100.   (I feel like I just clicked a link that said "increase your listings" or something, but I don't exactly remember.)  I don't have a Starter Store, just a regular account.

A store would not be worth it for me.  Most months I sell maybe a couple items, or none.    But right now I am aggressively downsizing my collections in anticipation of moving so I have a lot to sell in a short amount of time.

I called eBay this morning, got the automated voice menu, and requested that they call me back . . . They said it would be four minutes wait, but that was 45 minutes ago.  Yikes!

It's a bit frustrating that there isn't an easier way to do this.  

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

EBAY raised my selling limits on my other account this AM. This was a new account 4 months ago.
from 1,000 items to 1300 without me asking.

Curious
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Don't confuse your number of monthly free listings with your monthly selling limits.

Two different animals entirely.
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

I have 100 listings per month, not free listings but 'total listings.'

I actually had more than 100 FREE listings this month, though (if I had had the ability to use them all).  As I had my usual 50 free listings, and then eBay sent me a promo offer for 100 free auction-style listings.

But, once I listed 100 items that was it, I could no longer use the remaining free listings.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

eBay finally called me back, and raised my monthly limit to 180.  🙂

Message 10 of 10
latest reply