cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't blame eBay after I saw this

Copied from Yahoo Finance today,

Signs of an increasingly cautious consumer and looming recession aren't helping America's dollar store chains.

While dollar stores have previously thrived in times of economic uncertainty due to their low prices, this time around is different.

On Thursday, Dollar General lowered its full-year forecast for both sales and earnings, with earnings per share now projected to decline as much as 8% on the year.

"The macroeconomic environment is more challenging than the company had previously anticipated, which the company believes is having a significant impact on customers’ spending levels and behaviors," Dollar General said in its release.

A week earlier, Dollar Tree cut its profit guidance with management noting their business is "not immune the external pressures affecting all of retail."

Shares of both dollar stores have now fallen double-digits in the past week.

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: I can't blame eBay after I saw this

Dollar stores create food deserts and exploit impoverished communities by creating the illusion of affordability by selling items that seem like a better deal but are actually in smaller formats or lower in quality than regular stores so I’m not mad their predatory practices are not as profitable anymore.

https://www.businessinsider.com/dollar-stores-face-backlash-exploitative-practices-2019-9?amp

Message 2 of 28
latest reply

General Dollar may have "low" prices but they aren't offering anything cheaper then most big retail stores and/or better quality. I can't say these stores are thriving or anything as I don't go to them, but I go to other retail stores and they are packed, all the time, Home Depot, Walmart, Target, Menards, Tractor Supply.... around here anyways... that's 5 other large retail stores you can buy anything General Dollar or Dollar Tree has in any of those other stores + a lot more...one stop shopping perhaps? 

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 3 of 28
latest reply

Could it be staffing issues? I ask because I was in a smaller, older dollar store and the clerk was telling me the newer large dollar store built in the same plaza just closes down totally at times because they have no employees to staff the store. Surprised me. We also seem to have more news stories of the local large city dollar stores getting robbed, etc. than I recall in the last few decades. On the other hand, the Lowe's, Home Depot, other retailers on the same road seem to be fairly busy. 

Message 4 of 28
latest reply

We were in a food desert before Dollar General and Dollar Tree built (4) stores here.  And all are busy stores.  When I need something quick, it's nice having it within walking distance. 

It might be a few cents cheaper at Walmart, but the 40-mile round trip doesn't make it so. 😁

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

There are some items that I know I can often find at a dollar store selling for less than elsewhere.  But then again, I don't eat any of the food items they sell.  I have a hard time understanding how they are responsible for a "food desert".  The long shadow of a Walmart will probably have a far greater impact on neighboring communities.

Message 6 of 28
latest reply

Did eBay make some similar statement or decision?  I didn't understand what you meant.

Message 7 of 28
latest reply

Actually, Dollar General has been in the news because they are closing dozens of stores due to violent crimes. This is not surprising since they, like similar retailers (Family Dollar, Dollar Tree etc.) keep staffing to an absolute minimum.  Since many of these stores are in impoverished neighborhoods, they seem to have become an easy target for a desperate demographic. 

Message 8 of 28
latest reply

@pls-consignments wrote:

Actually, Dollar General has been in the news because they are closing dozens of stores due to violent crimes. This is not surprising since they, like similar retailers (Family Dollar, Dollar Tree etc.) keep staffing to an absolute minimum.  Since many of these stores are in impoverished neighborhoods, they seem to have become an easy target for a desperate demographic. 

@pls-consignments  and did u see the You Tube video of the Dollar Store employee (woman) who got so fed up with the serial thief at her store, she went after him in her car and got fired?

Yes, many brick and mortar stores have and are taking heavy financial hits and the employees emotional hits. I don't blame not a one for closing down their stores, Walmarts, Whole Foods, Dollar stores, etc.

They tried to improve certain neighborhoods and got rewarded with violence and thefts.

Message 9 of 28
latest reply

One of my reasons for shopping Dollar General is that it's easy, close and quick for small purchases.

Who wants to drive to WalMart, then walk a mile inside the store for shampoo, trash bags, birthday cards?  

Message 10 of 28
latest reply

@pls-consignments 

I work part time for my brother in law and we are not too far from a Dollar Store.  I was there one day picking up some random things.  I told her I saw the yellow cop tape around the building earlier that week so I asked what happened. The manager told me they're getting robbed 5 & 6 times a month if not more.  She also told me she handed in her 2 weeks.  Sad. 

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

Being addicted to coffee, we'd just walk into Family Dollar and automatically grab a Folgers. Because it was "cheaper" than our grocery store. Then our grocery store had a sale and I bought a couple of the same brand. Brought them home, unpacked them and set them on the counter next to my dollar store coffee and noticed the size difference!  Regular grocery store has 27.8 ozs at 11.99. (regular price)= 43 cents an oz.
Dollar store? 10.50 for 19.2 oz. 53 cents an ounce. Crooks.
Even worse? I save a bunch of the empty canisters for assorted uses and looked at them. In the couple years or so the "dollar " store cans shrunk from 24.2 ozs to 19.2 while the price went up 2.50? 
So I now only buy a few staples from dollars stores anymore. Like bread and milk. Those are always priced low to draw people in to buy their overpriced crap.
Crooks.

Message 12 of 28
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

One of my reasons for shopping Dollar General is that it's easy, close and quick for small purchases.

Who wants to drive to WalMart, then walk a mile inside the store for shampoo, trash bags, birthday cards?  

not for me, we have 2x Walmarts here, one on each side of town, and everything is pretty easy to find for most part. Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of wally-world or anything, but I can go there and get everything I need and go home. If I go to Dollar General, Dollar Tree etc.. (which is like hardly ever) walk in and walk out with nothing usually. Anything they have I can get cheaper elsewhere in larger quantity. Sandwhich bags, Clear Wrap, Tin Foil... for the amount they give on most things compare to the price, your paying more then just buying normal size elsewhere per quantity given. And I wouldn't touch their food offerings with a ten foot pole so no need there. Not saying these stores aren't useful for people, they are, just not for me. Their #1 issue is theft and they are not in any better situation as other large retailers like walmart who have closed stores across the country due to it. How to drain america's well being? In the top 5 of methods, employ a do not prosecute agenda for thieving , allow it run rampant and cause stores to close, limiting items and jobs to their communities. No One, not even huge corps like walmart can swallow the millions and billions in losses! 

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 13 of 28
latest reply

"Improve"??
Naw....they smelled "profits".
There were zero altruistic motives involved. Let's be realistic here....

Message 14 of 28
latest reply

@joliztoyco wrote:

"Improve"??
Naw....they smelled "profits".
There were zero altruistic motives involved. Let's be realistic here....

duh, of course businesses are not going to open to lose $$, but let's be realistic here, certain neighborhoods are high risk, no matter how you paint it.   

opinions, we all have them

@joliztoyco   BTW- I c u sell Monster High dolls. I have a few new in box. Do u think they are popular now?

Message 15 of 28
latest reply