cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I HATE WATCHERS AND "SEND OFFER TO WATCHERS"

AM I THE ONLY SELLER WHO HATES WATCHERS?

I THINK IT'S TERRIBLE THAT EBAY HIDES THE IDENTITY OF WATCHERS - AS SELLERS I BELIEVE WE HAVE A RIGHT TO KNOW WHO IS WATCHING US AND IF THESE WATCHERS DON'T MAKE A PURCHASE WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO BLOCK THEM.

SADLY, THERE ARE PEOPLE WITH NOTHING BETTER IN THEIR LIVES THAN TO BE NUISANCE WATCHERS ON EBAY.

IF EBAY ELIMINATED THE WATCHER FUNCTION THEN THERE WOULD IN THEORY, BE ONLY BUYERS.

Message 1 of 66
latest reply
65 REPLIES 65

Re: I HATE WATCHERS AND "SEND OFFER TO WATCHERS"

Just curious.  Do you watch something that is only $8?  If yes, why?  I have 7 on an $8 OBO item.  For what reason?  They can afford it.  Since they are not buying it, why bother?  Is it really worth watching to see if it sells?  

Message 31 of 66
latest reply

@cards_coins_collectibles wrote:

Thanks for the input, it's all that much more valuable from someone who has the sales to back it up congrats on your success.

I like to think my prices reflect the quality and vintage of the products but your correct about the attraction to all types.

Your correct in that I don't have to sell my items therefore I'm not willing to take less than I believe they are worth just because the ebay market can't afford those prices right now.

Best Regards

Happy Holidays

Your item quality is absolutely incredible. I can't even imagine how one ends up with an all grail store like that. I just didn't know what your end goal was with the stuff. If you are happy waiting however long it takes then you are doing it right. 

I have a limited amount of space and ebay is my only income so I generally price things to move, even if they are great things.  I can generally find stuff faster than I can sell it. So I just want it gone, every time. Churn and churn. I would be more aggressive about product turnover but I know my out of print gaming specialty always has a limited market. It isn't like clothes where if you are doing everything right you can drop the price 10-20 percent every month and turn it all over every 90 days.

Message 32 of 66
latest reply

I see watchers on eBay as being no different than the "Is this still available" people on FB.  Give you that small percentage of hope that it will sell.  Useless!

Message 33 of 66
latest reply

Do you watch something that is only $8? If yes, why? 

I watch many items to keep track of the item in case I want to buy in the future. Not everything on my Watch List is something I need right now. Some things are parts for projects that have not been started yet, or part of a set that I might purchase if the other parts become available at some point. Or a spare part for something that might break or need replacement at some point but that I do not necessarily feel the need to have additional spares on hand at all times.

Do you have any movies on your Netflix watch list that you have not seen yet? Why have you not watched them already?

Message 34 of 66
latest reply

@sakic92710 wrote:

Just curious.  Do you watch something that is only $8?  If yes, why?  I have 7 on an $8 OBO item.  For what reason?  They can afford it.  Since they are not buying it, why bother?  Is it really worth watching to see if it sells?  

I currently have hundreds if not thousands of watchers on $1.99 trading cards. 

I have one friend who is anything put poor who has a little hobby of watching 99 cent shipped Chinese stuff just to see how low of offers he will get from those sellers.

Message 35 of 66
latest reply

Not gonna read through this one, but you DO know you're going to have a lot more watchers now, right?

Message 36 of 66
latest reply

I am totally with you, they are competitors spying on you, I hate watchers and send offers to them, I ignore. If someone is going to buy, they buy, set best offer to accept automatically with what you will take for item, and don't be bothered.

Message 37 of 66
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

At the retail store I work at, I hate when people come and just browse. They are a nuisance.

We should have a policy where if you come in the store, you MUST buy something.

And no window shopping, either.  How dare someone strolling down the street think they can just stop to stare at the merchandise in the wndows for awhile and then resume strolling.  THE CITY SHOULD PUT A LAW INTO EFFECT TO STOP SUCH NUISANCE BEHAVIOR!

-

Message 38 of 66
latest reply

@sakic92710 wrote:

How do you know they can afford it? I know I can’t afford an $8 non essential right now.

She ❤︎ Her ❤︎ Hers
Message 39 of 66
latest reply

Honestly, this is just looking for something to get upset about. What does it matter?

Message 40 of 66
latest reply

Cards_coins_collectibles,

Why would anyone as a seller hate watchers? Having watchers tells me that there is interest in my items. They don’t costs anything. It isn’t like the more watchers you have the more you have to pay eBay. 

It is bothering you because of your curiosity I think. I’m sure you have heard what happens to the curious cat? Let’s just say it didn’t end well for the curios cat.

I watch many items as a buyer for mainly a couple of reasons. It’s something I may want to buy but not now. It could be something that I think is over priced and waiting to see if the seller will lower price or auction off. I’ve had many sellers send me offers on things I’m watching and l buy because of how good the offer is.

Message 41 of 66
latest reply

Richards*Rock*Collection,

Why even accept offers? It’s telling your buyers that you will take less! I will always make an offer on an item I want to buy even at full price when there is a best offer option. If I get a auto decline I nibble until I find where the automatic accepted price is. It’s usually not too difficult to figure it out just think like the seller. Why pay more than you have to?

Message 42 of 66
latest reply

My watch list is very long, and some of the items have been on my list for more than 5 years.

The list acts like a mini autobiography for me, it reminds me of all those things I once wanted, and have now moved on, or they have lost their importance to me. 

Maybe in time I will circle back and want them again, kind of like the fashions go in cycles. 

Message 43 of 66
latest reply

It tells buyers your price isn't firm & maybe, if they offer $5 less, they might be the new owner.  If the online market shows it sells for $50, I will list it for 50 OBO.  If someone wishes to get it for $42, I am a reasonable person.  Just don't waste everyone's time by offering $25.   🙂  

Message 44 of 66
latest reply

" HAVE A RIGHT TO KNOW WHO IS WATCHING US AND IF THESE WATCHERS DON'T MAKE A PURCHASE WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO BLOCK THEM. "

More like subject them to  merciless torture?     That all got added because early on eBay was all "nibble" bidding.  Sellers could watch bids come in and the selling price go up.  Once that form of bidding became less common, the watchers and views section was added to give sellers changing numbers to look at.

Message 45 of 66
latest reply