cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How come my sales dried up almost overnight?

Hi all,

I've been actively selling on eBay for several months. Everything had been going well. I had been making sales, became a "top-rated seller", and then only made a few sales this week. Just when I assumed it was time to push, everything seemed to dry up. This happened after I had been adding new listings every day, had no negative reviews (I got my first neutral review a couple of weeks back), and got out all of my orders on time. 

Is this normal? 

The only thing that happened was I had been trying to update my listings to be a "top-rated seller plus" but have yet to be able to crack the code. Every time I tried to update listings, it would revert to a previous version of the listings. I did talk to tech support but to no avail, which was frustrating -- but that's another story.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Best,

Devin

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: How come my sales dried up almost overnight?

In a nutshell YES.  Sometimes whatever you are selling will sell regularly and then times it won't.  It is simply the nature of internet sales.  It is unlikely you will have a regular amount of sales day after day 365.  

You have a lot of competition in the category you sell in.  

Use the slow time to see if you can improve your listings.  Titles being the most important.  That is 80 characters that will reap you the most buyers.  When you create a listing title, think like a buyer.  What would you put in the search box to find this item?

Put the most important words at the front of the title.

Like this one:

1971-72 Topps #86 Johnny Green G/VG scratches

I would suggest: 

Johnny Green #86, Cincinnati Royals, 1971-72 Topps Some Scratches

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

In a nutshell YES.  Sometimes whatever you are selling will sell regularly and then times it won't.  It is simply the nature of internet sales.  It is unlikely you will have a regular amount of sales day after day 365.  

You have a lot of competition in the category you sell in.  

Use the slow time to see if you can improve your listings.  Titles being the most important.  That is 80 characters that will reap you the most buyers.  When you create a listing title, think like a buyer.  What would you put in the search box to find this item?

Put the most important words at the front of the title.

Like this one:

1971-72 Topps #86 Johnny Green G/VG scratches

I would suggest: 

Johnny Green #86, Cincinnati Royals, 1971-72 Topps Some Scratches

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

It's not you. It's not eBay. It's not even online selling.

It's retail.

January is a slow month.

A butcher friend used to call January 'hamburger month' because even those customers he knew were wealthy bought fewer expensive cuts in January than at any other time of the year.

There are exceptions *.

Use the time to list new product, source new product, review older listings, do inventory and check that eBay has not relisted or dropped listings unexpectedly.

*December is my dead month, while stamp collectors buy a lot in January. Bad weather, and a cozy hobby.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

@dev93 wrote:

Hi all,

I've been actively selling on eBay for several months.

...Just when I assumed it was time to push, everything seemed to dry up. 

Is this normal? 

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Best,

Devin

"For several months" as in the holiday season of 2023 or even back in Sept during back to school season? If yes, then yes. This is normal.

Every year my strategy is much like the opposite of a hibernating squirrel. Gather enough nuts during the fall and winter (end of the year) in order to make it thru the spring and summer (beginning of the year).

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

For me it isn't normal.  Historically speaking the couple weeks after Christmas, through January and until about mid February were my highest selling times of the year.  January always being my biggest month for sales all year.  

I've been selling for many years and this has always remained true until now.  While sales are OK, they are not what I'm use to seeing.

With that said, I've always notices slower sales MONTHS before going into a Presidential election.  So much indecision by many voters, not to mention the politicians.  It concerns people.  And this election is building up to me very similar to that one of 2020 and that is concerning to many.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

How come my sales dried up almost overnight?

Because people stopped buying what you are selling almost overnight.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

I sell collectible and obscure items and this January, like most Januaries has shown a sales improvement over the holiday period.

A quick look at your sales shows that you have been selling mostly low end items from your inventory.

It would not be surprising if beginning collectors, who are the buyers for these common cards, have picked through your inventory and are no longer interested in what you have listed.

A constant supply of new inventory, may be required, and the same cycle as you have seen the past few months may be repeated.

Selling 99 cent, $1.99 and other low end inventory often only works for you and the buyer if they see multiple items they want from you. These commons may get purchased from some other seller who has them and other cards the buyer wants, that you do not.

Every new seller, who does not have an endless amount of new inventory to list, eventually hits a low sales period.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

From my tenure on eBay I have gleaned that there are all sorts of listing "games" (just my nomenclature). I can go days without a sale, and then suddenly.... I'll have five or six sales within a 24-hour period; Tthen once again, the iron curtain of doom is lowered, and no sales for days.  The really strange thing is, these sale boom clusters always seem to be with-in a two or three state area.  People can guess, surmise, deduce, and rationalize, but when push comes to shove, we will likely never know all of the why's, and were wherefore's of eBay's innner clockwork.  

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Thank you. Yes, lots of competition. I will try playing with the titles of my listings and look to see how I can evolve as a seller. I really appreciate the help.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Has nothing to do with Titles..

#55 Topps Willie whoever has 250 OTHER listings...so you are in a very saturated market...

NOT to mention, you are Also NOT the cheapest...

If I were looking for that card, I would put those words in, then 'filter' lowest w/shipping and you are NOT the lowest so you would lose that sale. 

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Thank you so much for these insights. Actually, I have a ton of inventory and am in the process of listing it to make sure I can manage it. 

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Interesting. I guess more will be revealed and I'll keep plugging away.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@stainlessenginecovers wrote:

Has nothing to do with Titles..

#55 Topps Willie whoever has 250 OTHER listings...so you are in a very saturated market...

NOT to mention, you are Also NOT the cheapest...

If I were looking for that card, I would put those words in, then 'filter' lowest w/shipping and you are NOT the lowest so you would lose that sale. 

I do think it does have something to do with titles - when those 250 listings come up, the OP wants to be at the top of them as often as possible. Thinking about how the buyer would search (which would probably be the player's name first) will help that, whatever drill down they use. I know it's essential in my category which is super over saturated. Also, I wouldn't be so certain that in a collectible an individual would be necessarily looking for the lowest price.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@dev93 wrote:

Thank you. Yes, lots of competition. I will try playing with the titles of my listings and look to see how I can evolve as a seller. I really appreciate the help.

I'm glad I could help.  I didn't look at any of your descriptions, but while you have time take a look at them.  If your font is small, increase it so it is easier for buyers to read.

Having more words that buyers may put in their search can help your sales.  Of course no guarantees, but it certainly can't hurt anything.

Good Luck.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply