cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got an eBay message from the "Vocabulary Police" on one of my listings

I received an eBay message telling me this is not an album:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/186016837198

My understanding of album (by definition) is a multi-page thing where you can put things (like stamps, photographs, and in this case coins).

It folds over itself instead of opening like a book. Does that make it any less of an album?

(Looking for feedback before I reply, I feel a lot of snark coming on, but I don't like to be snarky and wrong at the same time). If there's a better definition for this "album" let me know, I would consider updating the listings because accurately described items are easier to find in search.

C.

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Got an eBay message from the "Vocabulary Police" on one of my listings

@sin-n-dex 

Back in the 1950s, we called them "albums."

I recall having 2 Whitman Lincoln Cent albums, as well as a postage stamp album (which I had acquired as a premium from cutting out the red "sicle" balls from Popsicle wrappers), plus a matchbook cover album.

Albums -- folders.

Six of one -- half a dozen of the other.

Sounds as if your eBay "friend" is quite the nit-picker.

Bet they yell at the TV set during "Wheel Of Fortune," too.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 29 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

I see similar ones listed as folders, but I can’t imagine making an issue over this either way.

Message 2 of 46
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

I see similar ones listed as folders, but I can’t imagine making an issue over this either way.

I guess it kind of acts like a folder (folding onto itself). To me a folder is a cardstock thingy I put in my filing cabinet to hold receipts and invoices.

An album by my definition (which is not necessarily correct) is an empty book-like thing that you can put collectibles in. I didn't think it mattered how an album opened and closed... but I'm asking in case I'm very wrong to call it an album, in which case I can update the listings and listing template. I've got a bunch more to list, so at minimum I can do them differently if this isn't an actual album.

C.

Message 3 of 46
latest reply

I did a search for Whitman Vintage Album (which is kinda what these are, they are from the 1960s). I see 579 matches, some of them are like books (or more appropriately albums). I see some as "album folders".

And here comes the snark... I pointed out to the person who messaged that many other people call them albums and asked him if he's taking the time to message every seller to let them know what they're selling is not actually an album.

I get messaging someone when their listing is wrong (and I appreciate that), but messaging me when I use the same terminology as many others leads me to wonder if said ebayer has nothing better to do than message on hundreds of items. Kinda like that guy that sent me dozens of messages to correct the "lot number" of my listings when the "lot number" is just my internal reference to find the item. Has no bearing on what someone else calls it.

C.

Message 4 of 46
latest reply

I thought those were 'folders', too - we called them that when I collected pennies as a kid, anyway.

But yeah, seems kind of a picayune thing - 'album' works just as well.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 5 of 46
latest reply

Whitman describes it as an album.

I'd kindly tell them you are simply relaying the description as it is described by the manufacture.

I'd suggest they contact Whitman if they are incorrectly describing their products.

Message 6 of 46
latest reply

I'm old but we used to call them coin collecting folders. It's in the right ebay category so I guess the problem is with your title and description? 

The bots must be hard at work today because I got a priority message telling me that something was in the wrong category. I have absolutely no clue how it got in there. Most of my items are buried under Collectibles>Religion & Spirituality > Christianity > Jewelry, which is where they should be. 

Message 7 of 46
latest reply

I remember these from collecting coins as a youngster and we referred to them as "Albums".

That being said, it does say Coin Folder on it.

Message 8 of 46
latest reply

@robbie31415 wrote:

Whitman describes it as an album.

I'd kindly tell them you are simply relaying the description as it is described by the manufacture.

I'd suggest they contact Whitman if they are incorrectly describing their products.

At the coin shop we refer to them all as albums, all different kinds... different manufacturers.

Anyway this is good info. I tried to search to see what Whitman calls them but I didn't get anything conclusive since they are showing me pictures of current albums and not the vintage ones that I sell. I did notice on eBay there are 579 matches for "vintage whitman album" and many of them look like what I have.

C.

Message 9 of 46
latest reply

@gloryglorygifts wrote:

I'm old but we used to call them coin collecting folders. It's in the right ebay category so I guess the problem is with your title and description? 

The bots must be hard at work today because I got a priority message telling me that something was in the wrong category. I have absolutely no clue how it got in there. Most of my items are buried under Collectibles>Religion & Spirituality > Christianity > Jewelry, which is where they should be. 

The message I got was from another eBay member, not a bot message from eBay.

I use templates to list these and they should all be under "supplies". I don't know which subcategory offhand, but I would have picked something appropriate to describe what I have.

C.

Message 10 of 46
latest reply

And here comes the snark... I pointed out to the person who messaged..

@sin-n-dex 

LOL.  When I read your OP, I thought you got a message from eBay, not some random member.  At least you know whatever your term was, it was  visible and seen, which is a good thing.  Use both terms from now on, after you make note of the 'policeman's' ID' for future reference.  

I remember years ago when I sold here and was basically a newbie.  I would get lots of "HOW DARE YOU ASK SO MUCH FOR THIS?" type communications...i.e. auction for $200 opening bid.....LOL...let it run and got $1000+.....no worries.  

Message 11 of 46
latest reply

Why do you care what it should be called?

The correct way of dealing with this is to block the source of the message from buying anything from you.

A response is useless, and if the goal was to annoy you, you will trigger the a*hole's victory dance.

Message 12 of 46
latest reply

Coin holder of dimes....something like that.

I love the phase "vocabulary police"....so funny.

There are a very few who are snarking on here....as we both know who he is. I kinda think the ones who are snarking actually don't sell anything anymore. LOL. And they use these paste and enter  eBay rules on posting.

Message 13 of 46
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

And here comes the snark... I pointed out to the person who messaged..

@sin-n-dex 

LOL.  When I read your OP, I thought you got a message from eBay, not some random member.  At least you know whatever your term was, it was  visible and seen, which is a good thing.  Use both terms from now on, after you make note of the 'policeman's' ID' for future reference.  

I remember years ago when I sold here and was basically a newbie.  I would get lots of "HOW DARE YOU ASK SO MUCH FOR THIS?" type communications...i.e. auction for $200 opening bid.....LOL...let it run and got $1000+.....no worries.  

I actually sell a lot of them. We get collections in them all the time, the coin shop staff take the collections out to try and package (or melt) whatever it's appropriate to do with those coins. They give me all the "albums" and I go through making sure there's no bad damage or writing or anything making it unsellable. The more rare the type of album the more tolerant I am of faults. We don't see many Cent albums because the shop will sell those off as whole collections in the album, but Dime and Quarter ones are so frequently seen I take nothing less than excellent for listing.

C.

Message 14 of 46
latest reply

@tobaccocardyahoo wrote:

Why do you care what it should be called?

The correct way of dealing with this is to block the source of the message from buying anything from you.

A response is useless, and if the goal was to annoy you, you will trigger the a*hole's victory dance.

If I'm annoyed, it won't last long... I suppose the point of asking was to determine if the member was giving me actual information that would help me improve my listings. Seems like he isn't (unless I want to add folder in the title, and I'm not sure I have room for that... stating "no coins" is pretty important or some fool will buy one expecting coins).

C.

Message 15 of 46
latest reply