cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Global Shipping Prog vs Ship-It-Yourself - International buyers

We have used the GSP exclusively, but now, with some outside websites/other ways we sell, we see international shipping can be cheaper for the buyer outside of the GSP. Has anyone turned off the GSP, or never used it, and just ship internationally yourself on Ebay sales? Pros/Cons? I am already pretty familiar with the GSP, so no need to explain that part. I like the GSP/it works, but wonder if it chases away buyers sometimes. I have had international buyers leave things they bought without paying, because the shipping was too expensive. Thanks!

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

There's more room for fraud outside the GSP. 

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

We have only on a couple of occasions used GSP - you are right the postage costs do work out a lot more on the whole for the buyer, so much so we had one of our regular customers we refunded £10 /$12 which was the premium ebay had charged him on GSP, against us shipping it direct with tracking etc. To that end 99.9% of our overseas mail goes via the post office, or courier services (eg UPS) After a while you know which countries are "riskier" to send too, in which case we invoice the customer with tracking/registered post straight away. In many cases these customers know how reliable or unreliable their postal service is and in many cases before we have had the chance to send invoices after an auction they have messaged and asked to have tracking etc. Our postal system in the UK will refund if parcels are lost up to value of £20 with no tracking, and up to £250 on overseas parcels (with small premium for insurance to this value) which are always registered. Couriers you can obviously insure to what ever value you want, but we have never had a problem. Delivery times (prior to Covid) for most of the world where within 7 days on standard Royal Mail services, obviously a few days longer at the moment.

thats our experiences hope it helps.

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

@outlet_values wrote:

We have used the GSP exclusively, but now, with some outside websites/other ways we sell, we see international shipping can be cheaper for the buyer outside of the GSP. Has anyone turned off the GSP, or never used it, and just ship internationally yourself on Ebay sales? Pros/Cons? I am already pretty familiar with the GSP, so no need to explain that part. I like the GSP/it works, but wonder if it chases away buyers sometimes. I have had international buyers leave things they bought without paying, because the shipping was too expensive. Thanks!

About 40% of my sales (were) int'l. I've offered USPS int'l 1st Class, Priority and Express for the 10 yrs I've been selling w very few problems. As far as which countries I ship to, I go by the USPS eDelcon (electronic delivery confirmation) list. There are a few countries outside that list I will still ship to, such as: Sweden.

In that 10 year period, I had just 2 buyers ask me to use the GSP to ship their pkg. They said they like knowing up front all the costs involved so when they receive their pkg, they don't have to worry about the extra charges, ie: customs, taxes, etc. and possibly having to leave their home to pick up the pkg.

BUT, just yesterday, I removed all the USPS shipping methods and inserted GSP only. Why? bc of the pandemic. Things keep changing almost daily to make int'l shipping too unpredictable. About a week ago, I shipped a pkg to the UK, one of the most reliable int'l countries to ship to, but the pkg had to land in Germany 1st b4 heading to the UK, and they rejected it and sent it back to the US. It is now in limbo until Germany starts accepting and transporting pkgs again.

As I understand it, once the GSP pkg is delivered to the eBay consolidation warehouse, we (sellers) no longer have to worry about it. The worries get transferred into eBay's hands. Correct me if I am wrong.

If things go back to 'normal', I will switch back to USPS choices. So much more economical for the int'l buyers.

I expect to lose even more int'l sales having done this, but the worries are not worth it for me.

Hope this helps and good sales to everyone!

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

I have used GSP and shipped myself.  I never did sell a lot overseas so I can't say one sells better then the other.  Now I pretty much just use GSP.  It's simple for me, I don't have to worry about the overseas part.  The cost maybe running some customers off but I don't care.  If I was trying to make a living on EBay I might feel differently but with 1 or maybe 2% of my sales being on EBay, I just it the simple way for me.  

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

One pro outside cost I would say is speed.  The pandemic has messed up the speed of my shipments now, but normally when shipping USPS first class the package would be to the buyer in 7-10 days from shipment.  I doubt GSP can get it to the customer as quickly when it has to make stops along the way.  I use to have problems a while back with some shipments not arriving but that was before GSP and USPS has improved over the last decade that way and other countries finishing the route has improved.  Still this does happen from time to time but I can't remember the last time I refunded internationally.  I ship about 5-10 items a week internationally.  I have noticed the Ebay international shipping program which lowers the cost slightly internationally has had some problems when I ship with them.

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

If you prefer lots of worry and lots of risk due to the high overseas shipping cost if someone returns a package etc, then by all means ship it directly yourself. If not, don't even consider anythng other than Ebay Global Shipping since Ebay assumes that risk and that worry.
Message 8 of 23
latest reply

I have never used the GSP.I have many repeat buyers I ship to directly.Having GSP is like a big red flag that says I am not serious about international sales.I do not see why someone would want to buy with the GSP much less do it again with the same buyer.I get lots of repeat customers who enjoy combined shipping.the GSP does not offer combined shipping.  I always enjoy the low risk of international shipping and am rewarded for it with extra money in high bids.Sellers who offer GSP are too timid to take the risk and are then overlooked by the serious buyers

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 9 of 23
latest reply

I have never used the GSP.  I find it is too costly for the buyer for low cost items, as it seems a better value if the item price is $100 or more.

I ship internationally, when I do have a sale, using the USPS.  Items 4 pounds and under I ship First Class Package International, and for over 4 pounds I ship Priority International.  I only ship to a limited number of countries based on their excellent postal system, and have blocked countries with a poor postal system.

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

I use both whatever the buyer prefers. On a rare occasion I had the buyer demand I use a certain way to ship while they paid for a different shipping method. In that case I cancel quickly and without regrets, as this is not acceptable. International shipping is on most occasions safe and if the item is above 50$ or sometimes less I insure it, depending on the buyer and their location. If a 20$ item gets lost or stolen or whatever else can happen I don't care too much. I also block foreign buyers very quickly if I can see a pattern of bad behaviour.
Message 11 of 23
latest reply

Hi, very interested in yur comment ,does the GSP only base on US?
Message 12 of 23
latest reply

It's available to sellers in the US and the UK.

"Those who enter the arena unarmed or unprepared are quickly dispatched."
Message 13 of 23
latest reply

I agree. With GSP I don't have to worry about custom forms,etc. I ship the same as to a US address and Ebay handles the rest, never had a problem in all these years. I may miss some sales by not mailing directly but not a big deal, better sleep at nite no worries with GSP.

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

I used GSP when it first came out but quickly realized it was costing buyers more and was slow.  I do care that any buyer gets the fastest and most cost efficient shipping.

I've used USPS for international shipping to many countries (I don't block any) and never had a single problem.  When you print the shipping label it includes the required customs label/labels and is no more difficult than printing a domestic label.  It's not like the old days when I had to fill out the customs forms by hand.

Message 15 of 23
latest reply