cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From the chat with Griff today

This is a surprise to me. Only use eBay messages.

""Happy to clarify! To quote the Knowledge Base article I shared previously:

"A partial refund can lead to a defect if there are no eBay messages between you and your customer that show the reason for the refund."

To rephrase this, if there is communication on eBay explaining the reason for the partial refund, a defect will not be recorded slight smile""

Prov 20:14 It is naught, it is naught, saith the buyer: but when he is gone his way, then he boasteth.
Message 1 of 178
latest reply
177 REPLIES 177

Re: From the chat with Griff today

So a refund of overpaid shipping sent via paypal with a message that it is a refund due to shipping overcharge and no message sent using ebays system is now a defect? YES?NO.... Please selct one....

Message 106 of 178
latest reply

Consider...I list some auction items with BIN and free shipping with BIN.
Note in my listing says rebate after payment, which I do through paypal.
Where's does that fall in the list of potential sins?
Message 107 of 178
latest reply

I don't have a clue. I don't like doing refunds,but ebays system doesn't work correctly so I either keep their money or refund. The last lady I would have preferred to have kept the $65.00,but noppers I returned it.....

Message 108 of 178
latest reply

This is starting to really frost my cookies.

Message 109 of 178
latest reply

ebay employees have a very hard time answering simple yes or no questions. They prefer to put a bunch of spin on it so the reader still doesn't know what the answer is....

Message 110 of 178
latest reply

If trinton is so worried about keeoing buyers on ebay - here is a prime example of ebay allowing their double standards to drive buying to other sites.  Recently I bought a book I had been looking for - paid immediately.  And right below it I saw a related book that was priced very cheap and I bought and paid for it.    Both sellers are booksellers with very high feedback and are registered in the US.

So just now the shooting star seller with the very underpriced book refunds my payment - no explaination.  I see the refund roll in and go to neg them and there is no transaction.  A few minutes later, I get a message that the seller canceled the transaction because the book is damaged - uh-huh.  So I dig around their feedback and they have negs and many of them say that the items are shipped from China.

So I can't neg a lying seller who gets away with something that would damage a small seller in the USA's account.  Now if I was a rule breaker, I would buy another book off them just to neg them - but since I'm not, now I got no recourse, so it's going to be a long, long time before I buy on ebay again.  Amazon sells books.

(*Bleep*)
Message 111 of 178
latest reply

That is what I thought Triton. There has to be a record of what went on with the partial refund.  I have often wondered when I have issued a partial after the sale on Pay Pal to someone how this is linked to the actual transaction on Ebay. 

Message 112 of 178
latest reply

So I guess I've been unkowingly "doing it right" all along. I only ever send them a "you have a refund in your PP" note through eBay msges as I know people often ignore the PP notes they get in email about the item has shipped etc.

I also never bother calling CS (something I do my best to avoid) about a FVF refund as I deduct that when I'm calculating the refund.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 113 of 178
latest reply

@tunicaslot wrote:

I've thought a lot about these "hidden policies" and I think what they are referrirng to is the criteria Ebay uses before punishments like revoking MBG privileges or revoking buying privileges all together. The statement by a seller on a Facebook group the other day, shows an example of yet again - another "hidden policy" that I was happy to hear but surprised was in place. 

If a seller uses buyer requested to cancel a sale so as not to get a defect - and that buyer calls in to report that seller  - Ebay makes a note of that - should this happen twice in one month - the selling privileges are suspended.

We often hear CS say - the situation is being investigated but we can not release the results of the outcome as it would be too easy for buyers and sellers to skirt these policies so as not to get caught.

Do we have a right to know the policies - probably so - but for those of us that abide by the rules - they wouldn't affect us anyway. If bad buyers and sellers knew how far they could push the envelope - I've no doubt they would - so I'm more than happy not knowing and have Ebay do away with these people.

I can see THAT being used to bring down competition, so thanks but no thanks. Could also be used by snarky buyers if they knew that was a policy.

Message 114 of 178
latest reply

Exactly right--partial refunding through Pay Pal without any record of WHY, on Ebay, could cause a lot of problems. 

Message 115 of 178
latest reply

@mannusma0 wrote:

This is starting to really frost my cookies.

Have you tried clearing your cache and restarting your computer?

Works 93.75 % of the time

Prov 20:14 It is naught, it is naught, saith the buyer: but when he is gone his way, then he boasteth.
Message 116 of 178
latest reply

So wait - are you saying this IS a policy - shared with the FBookers and not in general?

Message 117 of 178
latest reply

@lookng2015 wrote:
So wait - are you saying this IS a policy - shared with the FBookers and not in general?

tunica said statement from a seller  on FB.  So it should be taken with a grain of salt.

But when the new community heads took over, they made it clear that they would be hanging on FB along with other social media.  So they could let something slip about some 'hidden' policy that they will hope we don't hear about or realize the importance of.

And the comments upthread about retraining CS, last year there were a couple of ebay employees talking on social media about how CS will totally be revamped and how proud they were of it and how sellers will love it when it will be rolled out.  It was experimented with but never rolled out.

There is a lot of talk about things all over, but it never ends well for sellers.

(*Bleep*)
Message 118 of 178
latest reply

@retrose1 wrote:

If trinton is so worried about keeoing buyers on ebay - here is a prime example of ebay allowing their double standards to drive buying to other sites.  Recently I bought a book I had been looking for - paid immediately.  And right below it I saw a related book that was priced very cheap and I bought and paid for it.    Both sellers are booksellers with very high feedback and are registered in the US.

So just now the shooting star seller with the very underpriced book refunds my payment - no explaination.  I see the refund roll in and go to neg them and there is no transaction.  A few minutes later, I get a message that the seller canceled the transaction because the book is damaged - uh-huh.  So I dig around their feedback and they have negs and many of them say that the items are shipped from China.

So I can't neg a lying seller who gets away with something that would damage a small seller in the USA's account.  Now if I was a rule breaker, I would buy another book off them just to neg them - but since I'm not, now I got no recourse, so it's going to be a long, long time before I buy on ebay again.  Amazon sells books.

Amazon's search works, too.

I'll say it again: eBay's not trying to be Amazon, eBay is trying to be AliBaba with none of the functionality.

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 119 of 178
latest reply

@retrose1 wrote:

@lookng2015 wrote:

tunica said statement from a seller  on FB.  So it should be taken with a grain of salt.

But when the new community heads took over, they made it clear that they would be hanging on FB along with other social media.  So they could let something slip about some 'hidden' policy that they will hope we don't hear about or realize the importance of.

And the comments upthread about retraining CS, last year there were a couple of ebay employees talking on social media about how CS will totally be revamped and how proud they were of it and how sellers will love it when it will be rolled out.  It was experimented with but never rolled out.

There is a lot of talk about things all over, but it never ends well for sellers.

But I'm sure it will be "good news for sellers".....

Message 120 of 178
latest reply