cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From the chat with Griff today

This is a surprise to me. Only use eBay messages.

""Happy to clarify! To quote the Knowledge Base article I shared previously:

"A partial refund can lead to a defect if there are no eBay messages between you and your customer that show the reason for the refund."

To rephrase this, if there is communication on eBay explaining the reason for the partial refund, a defect will not be recorded slight smile""

Prov 20:14 It is naught, it is naught, saith the buyer: but when he is gone his way, then he boasteth.
Message 1 of 178
latest reply
177 REPLIES 177

Re: From the chat with Griff today

People could be partial refunding without going through the Ebay system with an explanation of why the partial was given. Sellers communicating somehow with buyers perhaps outside of the system promising them discounts IF THEY PURCHASE THEIR ITEMS AFTER THE SALE? Does that make any sense? I am somewhat confused as well about the process here.

Message 46 of 178
latest reply

I also give my customer a partial refund on shipping if they didn't wait for my invoice.  Did it this week. 

Since this was done on PP and they are separate companies, how does ebay get involved in refunds? 

I must be confused.

Message 47 of 178
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

People could be partial refunding without going through the Ebay system with an explanation of why the partial was given. Sellers communicating somehow with buyers perhaps outside of the system promising them discounts IF THEY PURCHASE THEIR ITEMS AFTER THE SALE? Does that make any sense? I am somewhat confused as well about the process here.

That doesn't really make sense.  Why refund them some money if they take more of your stuff. 

If I was negotiating with a buyer after the sale to buy more of my stuff, then I would let the payment stand and haggle for a send money to friends payment for the rest.

(*Bleep*)
Message 48 of 178
latest reply

griff@ebay.com@Anonymous

Can we get some clarification here please?

Since WHEN does a PARTIAL refund earn the seller a defect? And if it does, WHY?

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 49 of 178
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@*eponymous* wrote:

@siayan wrote:

I demand a second opinion.

What is the defect for? What is the name of this defect?

I am goingto sneak this question in on the next chat. See if we get the same answer.

While you're at it, ask the same thing for Trinton's statement in yesterday's chat that refunding more than 20% of the transaction disqualifies it for an "automatic" fvf credit.  Of course, we know that there is no automatic credit (instead of cash, which is what the seller paid!) of fvf on ANY partial refund!

@Anonymous"A full refund = a full credit of FVF. Anything less will either be prorated or only be for the value of the item depending on what the circumstances are. Anything less than 80% would not automatically receive a fee credit."

Hello everyone, I apologize for the long post but I wanted to address everyone's concerns in one response so we can clear up the confusion that has occurred here. As a result, I may repeat some points a few times within this post.

I want to start out by being clear that while a partial refund without explanation within eBay messages can lead to a defect, this is not a new procedure. This has been in place since we began recording defects. A refund is typically an indication that there was something wrong with the transaction, which is what a defect represents. If a refund is issued without explanation either in eBay messages or through a Cancel Transaction/eBay Money Back Guarantee case, then we may have reason to believe there was an issue and record a defect.

I understand that this may not have been a situation that anyone here has run into so it may seem new or indicate a change has occurred, but this is not the case. If you have not run into an issue with a partial refund recording a defect, then you have been taking appropriate steps to communicate with your buyers. 

@*eponymous* it looks like we got this flipped around a little. When I mentioned that anything less than 80% would not automatically receive a fee credit I was indicating refunds that were less than 80% of the total sale price, not refunds that were more than 20% of the total sale price. Refunds that are less than 80% of the sales price would not automate a Final Value Fee Credit. 

You mentioned refunds that are less than 20%, but this would not be completely accurate. Less than 20%, 20% and anything between 20% and 80% would not automate a fee credit. A partial refund of up to 80% issued through a Return Request would provide a Final Value Fee credit proportional to the amount of refund issued. This would be automatically issued without any further steps required from the seller. For refunds of 20% or less of the sales price, our customer service team can review for potential credits. If no Return Request was opened and a partial refund is being issued of 80% or more, just reach out to Customer Service so we can have a credit reviewed.

@siayan, I spoke directly with our Policy team on this topic to ensure I was providing the correct information. You will receive the same answer if you ask in future chats. We have recorded refunds through PayPal without an associated Cancel Transaction or eBay Money Back Guarantee case as Seller initiated defects since we began recording defects. A separate classification for partial refunds would not be necessary. As I've mentioned earlier in this post, if a seller refunds this is a sign that something went wrong with the transaction. A defect is a record of a transaction that did not go ideally. If you have not run into an issue with this kind of defect in the years that we have been recording defects, this is an indication of how infrequently this kind of issue arises.

Asking that an explanation be recorded within our system for a refund has always been our expectation and since you cannot offer a partial refund through a Cancel Transaction, nor would it be the appropriate case format for most situations (such as shipping discount refunds), we expect there to be some record within messages to explain the partial refund.

@bubbleman2010, contacting a buyer to say, "Shipping was cheaper than estimated so I'm sending you a partial refund via PayPal. Thank you for your purchase!" would not result in a warning about taking transactions off the site. These warnings are related to sharing contact info or otherwise seeking to set up a sale off of eBay. Notifying a buyer of a partial refund would simply be good communication and serve to keep eBay informed of what is going on in the transaction, both being something that we expect.

@retrose1, as we have discussed in other threads, our expectations are made clear to sellers, there simply may be specific scenarios that are not outlined. The example I believe you are referencing is a conversation regarding a sellers expectations for return shipping when an eBay label cannot be provided. I misspoke in that thread when I referred to how we handle specific situations with the word "policy". While internally our guidelines and workflows are referred to as policies, I should not have used this word as our Community uses the word policy as a synonym for expectation. Though it is not specifically stated on the eBay site how a seller can cover return shipping when an eBay label is provided as this is ultimately up to the seller, it is clearly stated that we expect a seller to cover the cost of return shipping when an item does not match the description. If an eBay label cannot be provided due to the transaction being international or the item not being eligible due to it's dimensions, then a seller would still be expected to cover return shipping costs. I apologize again for the confusion that my word choice caused in that conversation and am happy to discuss this further with you via email or over the phone if you would like. Just let me know how you would prefer to discuss this so we can work to be on the same page on this topic.

@keziak, while eBay and PayPal are separate companies we do communicate about certain matters to better protect our communities.

---

In short, it should come as a surprise that eBay would need to see why a refund was issued to a buyer. Communication is a clear expectation of ours. You are all empowered to issue a partial refund where you see fit, just take a few seconds to send a message about why. Do what is right for your customers and we will support you. 

Message 50 of 178
latest reply

What about when the sign that something went wrong is that eBay's cart failed to allow the buyer to Request a total? Not exactly the seller's fault if the buyer then has to pay full shipping and be partially refunded is it?

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 51 of 178
latest reply

A refund is typically an indication that there was something wrong with the transaction, which is what a defect represents.

So, a buyer receives a partial refund for a misrepresented piece of junk but as long as there is "communication", the seller does not receive a defect.

A seller has "...if shipping is less than estimated, the difference will be refunded..." in the seller's description.  The seller refunds a buyer for overpayment of shipping, which is an excellent way to conduct business and please a buyer, by the way, and that seller receives a defect?

Wow.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 52 of 178
latest reply

Allow me to add:  A buyer and seller cannot now communicate about a discounted shipping price prior to purchase because that results in suspensions for supposedly attempting to conduct an off-ebay sale.

Wow.  Wow.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 53 of 178
latest reply

I've thought a lot about these "hidden policies" and I think what they are referrirng to is the criteria Ebay uses before punishments like revoking MBG privileges or revoking buying privileges all together. The statement by a seller on a Facebook group the other day, shows an example of yet again - another "hidden policy" that I was happy to hear but surprised was in place. 

If a seller uses buyer requested to cancel a sale so as not to get a defect - and that buyer calls in to report that seller  - Ebay makes a note of that - should this happen twice in one month - the selling privileges are suspended.

We often hear CS say - the situation is being investigated but we can not release the results of the outcome as it would be too easy for buyers and sellers to skirt these policies so as not to get caught.

Do we have a right to know the policies - probably so - but for those of us that abide by the rules - they wouldn't affect us anyway. If bad buyers and sellers knew how far they could push the envelope - I've no doubt they would - so I'm more than happy not knowing and have Ebay do away with these people.

Message 54 of 178
latest reply

Do we have a right to know the policies - probably so - but for those of us that abide by the rules - they wouldn't affect us anyway. 

Did you read my examples above?

I want to see a show of hands of those who knew that a partial refund of $2.50 for shipping costs for a $100 sale would result in a defect if the seller and buyer did not "communicate" about the refund.

This is a company that is allowing the sale of refurbished disposable diapers due to inept programming; I do not believe that ebay/paypal messages are being "read" to determine if a defect is given.   

This would also mean that ebay has complete and total access to a seller's paypal transaction details, until of course a seller has a problem and both companies claim to not be able to "see" the transaction on the "other" site.

I don't even believe this secret defect policy even exists.

Sorry, but this whole thing has cheesed me off more than most of the shinola around here.  I'm going to have to go play golf instead of work this afternoon, to calm down.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 55 of 178
latest reply

What exactly is this partial refund defect called? 

In the official page on seller standards there are two defects listed:

1. Out of stock defects

2. Case closed without resolution defects

I can't find anything published on the site - especially in the detailed information about what constitutes seller defects & rating seller performance about partial refund defects - is there a link to the official policy that folks are missing? 

Message 56 of 178
latest reply

sharing - I did indeed read your posts and I can tell you that I have - like bubble - refunded through Paypal is shipping was less than stated. I simply put a note in the PAYPAL refund - that too much was charged for shipping and I am refunding that portion. 

I have never to this point - contacted a buyer through Ebay messages before doing that and I have never received a defect for doing a partial refund of shipping costs this way. In the future - I will cover myself and notify the buyer through Ebay messages as well as putting a note in the Paypal transaction.

Did you receive a defect for doing the same thing or is this a post you read written by another seller that this happened to? Since Trinton has clarified it - I'll follow procedure - had I received a defect - I would have taken it up with Trinton or Alan and find out what the issue is as it wasn't explained very well.

Message 57 of 178
latest reply

@threshold.sales.group wrote:

1. Out of stock defects

I can't find anything published on the site - especially in the detailed information about what constitutes seller defects & rating seller performance about partial refund defects - is there a link to the official policy that folks are missing? 

I would like to know this, too.

Message 58 of 178
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@*eponymous* wrote:

@siayan wrote:

I demand a second opinion.

What is the defect for? What is the name of this defect?

I am goingto sneak this question in on the next chat. See if we get the same answer.

While you're at it, ask the same thing for Trinton's statement in yesterday's chat that refunding more than 20% of the transaction disqualifies it for an "automatic" fvf credit.  Of course, we know that there is no automatic credit (instead of cash, which is what the seller paid!) of fvf on ANY partial refund!

@Anonymous"A full refund = a full credit of FVF. Anything less will either be prorated or only be for the value of the item depending on what the circumstances are. Anything less than 80% would not automatically receive a fee credit."

Hello everyone, I apologize for the long post but I wanted to address everyone's concerns in one response so we can clear up the confusion that has occurred here. As a result, I may repeat some points a few times within this post.

I want to start out by being clear that while a partial refund without explanation within eBay messages can lead to a defect, this is not a new procedure. This has been in place since we began recording defects. A refund is typically an indication that there was something wrong with the transaction, which is what a defect represents. If a refund is issued without explanation either in eBay messages or through a Cancel Transaction/eBay Money Back Guarantee case, then we may have reason to believe there was an issue and record a defect.

I understand that this may not have been a situation that anyone here has run into so it may seem new or indicate a change has occurred, but this is not the case. If you have not run into an issue with a partial refund recording a defect, then you have been taking appropriate steps to communicate with your buyers. 

@*eponymous* it looks like we got this flipped around a little. When I mentioned that anything less than 80% would not automatically receive a fee credit I was indicating refunds that were less than 80% of the total sale price, not refunds that were more than 20% of the total sale price. Refunds that are less than 80% of the sales price would not automate a Final Value Fee Credit. 

You mentioned refunds that are less than 20%, but this would not be completely accurate. Less than 20%, 20% and anything between 20% and 80% would not automate a fee credit. A partial refund of up to 80% issued through a Return Request would provide a Final Value Fee credit proportional to the amount of refund issued. This would be automatically issued without any further steps required from the seller. For refunds of 20% or less of the sales price, our customer service team can review for potential credits. If no Return Request was opened and a partial refund is being issued of 80% or more, just reach out to Customer Service so we can have a credit reviewed.

@siayan, I spoke directly with our Policy team on this topic to ensure I was providing the correct information. You will receive the same answer if you ask in future chats. We have recorded refunds through PayPal without an associated Cancel Transaction or eBay Money Back Guarantee case as Seller initiated defects since we began recording defects. A separate classification for partial refunds would not be necessary. As I've mentioned earlier in this post, if a seller refunds this is a sign that something went wrong with the transaction. A defect is a record of a transaction that did not go ideally. If you have not run into an issue with this kind of defect in the years that we have been recording defects, this is an indication of how infrequently this kind of issue arises.

Asking that an explanation be recorded within our system for a refund has always been our expectation and since you cannot offer a partial refund through a Cancel Transaction, nor would it be the appropriate case format for most situations (such as shipping discount refunds), we expect there to be some record within messages to explain the partial refund.

@bubbleman2010, contacting a buyer to say, "Shipping was cheaper than estimated so I'm sending you a partial refund via PayPal. Thank you for your purchase!" would not result in a warning about taking transactions off the site. These warnings are related to sharing contact info or otherwise seeking to set up a sale off of eBay. Notifying a buyer of a partial refund would simply be good communication and serve to keep eBay informed of what is going on in the transaction, both being something that we expect.

@retrose1, as we have discussed in other threads, our expectations are made clear to sellers, there simply may be specific scenarios that are not outlined. The example I believe you are referencing is a conversation regarding a sellers expectations for return shipping when an eBay label cannot be provided. I misspoke in that thread when I referred to how we handle specific situations with the word "policy". While internally our guidelines and workflows are referred to as policies, I should not have used this word as our Community uses the word policy as a synonym for expectation. Though it is not specifically stated on the eBay site how a seller can cover return shipping when an eBay label is provided as this is ultimately up to the seller, it is clearly stated that we expect a seller to cover the cost of return shipping when an item does not match the description. If an eBay label cannot be provided due to the transaction being international or the item not being eligible due to it's dimensions, then a seller would still be expected to cover return shipping costs. I apologize again for the confusion that my word choice caused in that conversation and am happy to discuss this further with you via email or over the phone if you would like. Just let me know how you would prefer to discuss this so we can work to be on the same page on this topic.

@keziak, while eBay and PayPal are separate companies we do communicate about certain matters to better protect our communities.

---

In short, it should come as a surprise that eBay would need to see why a refund was issued to a buyer. Communication is a clear expectation of ours. You are all empowered to issue a partial refund where you see fit, just take a few seconds to send a message about why. Do what is right for your customers and we will support you. 

If, as a seller, I decide to give my buyer a partial refund for any reason I deem necessary, why does eBay even shoehorn its way in and get involved?

eBay's micromanagement is misdirected. That micromanagement should be laser focused on site issues. I think that then there will be MORE than enough work to keep everyone busy without feeling this totally misdirected need to jump in between buyers and sellers to complicate things. This way, everyone at eBay could be  busy rather than just looking  busy and making this place a nightmare of needless minutia.

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 59 of 178
latest reply

@threshold.sales.group wrote:

1. Out of stock defects

I think we have a winner, "What exactly is this partial refund defect called? "

Answer- A Partial Refund Defect

I think we have the answer and I am good with that. I know where I stand.

But I would really like to know

Come on Trinton, did you really know that before yesterday? A simple yes or no would do.

Prov 20:14 It is naught, it is naught, saith the buyer: but when he is gone his way, then he boasteth.
Message 60 of 178
latest reply