cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Foreign buyer with US address- Selling jewlery

Selling a diamond ring.  I had the listing as US shipping only.  The buyer has a US address (it appears to be a forwarding/parcel company), so I'm assuming that I mail it to this address and the addressee (company) will forward it to the buyer in the UK.

We have received the funds into our account- I guess I just have some trepidation over this sale.  The buyer has 402  ebay transactions in the year or so they have had an account with nothing negative showing.  Am I just being overly paranoid?  The selling price is $1050, so how/what would be the best way to protect ourselves?  I can just see the purchaser opening a claim saying either they didn't receive it or the item wasn't what it was described (it is), etc.

HELP!

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Its not paranoia. Its reality on ebay. If you are going to sell expensive stuff be prepared to ship it and hope. Here is what i do.

Have a friend of family member video tape the packaging inside the usps. Be sure you are also under the post office camera incase authorities need it later from a 2nd view. Clise the package. Fix label. Film the addy on the label. Film handing the package to postal employee. Film receipt. I then remove the funds immediately from paypal. The video means nothing to ebay but authorities and courts love video and witnesses.

You usually cant track a package once it leaves the states and overseas buyers very often use this as a convenient way to scam saying they never got it or package was empty. With police reports and proof of filing mail fraud ebay will occasionally give in and not help the scammer get away with it. If you got money that ebay can reach though.....you will be chasing them to and find them much less likely to give you the time of day once they have it.

Its probably not a scam with that much feedback in a year. Just be prepared to protect yourself and your money....ebay will not.
Message 2 of 36
latest reply

I ship to forwarding companies frequently. The nice thing is, once you ship to the forwarder, they take care of everything (i.e., getting the item to the overseas buyer) - your job is done.  Don't forget sig confirmation!

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 3 of 36
latest reply

Reading Feedback Left for Others can be a clue-- but you can also look at what your buyer has also been paying for.

On the whole though, forwarders are not a problem, and the Money Back Guarantee effectively ends on the forwarder's doorstep.

Use Signature Confirmation and you should be fine.

Message 4 of 36
latest reply

Hi, I think chances are good that this is a legit sale. Once the forwarder sends the package on, the buyer loses his Money Back Guarantee privileges. Because items shipped to another address after original delivery are not eligible for MBG coverage. So if there is a problem, they won't be able to open a claim on their end when it reaches foreign shores. (At least that is the way it is supposed to work.)

And you are aware that the item needs Signature Confirmation because the transaction is over $750? That is eBay's requirement for you to keep your seller protection against a Not Received claim on the domestic leg of the shipment. That is the only seller protection that eBay currently has (unless you offer free returns-- then there are more). Other than that, you need to look after your best interests. Ebay covers the buyers' interests, sellers are on their own for the most part.

So you are not being paranoid. Sellers need to be cautious when selling high dollar items. And in actuality, the time to assess your risk tolerance is not after the sale, it is before you even list the item. There is risk to selling online, and that cannot be changed. All you can do is try to mitigate it and make yourself an unattractive mark for the unscrupulous. You should know that the way the Money Back Guarantee is set up, that any seller can lose any item at any time. Fortunately, most buyers are honest, and contact with the undesirable element is less likely to happen.

But still, it does happen, and sellers need to prepare themselves. Inexperienced eBayers with expensive items are the main target. Having a higher feedback score makes a seller less attractive, scammers will conclude the seller has more experience and might pass them by. It is important for all sellers to know the policies and procedures that eBay has. The scammers know the policies and how to manipulate them for dishonest ends. You need to know what they know in order to better assess your risk.

Ebay has instituted practices that punish sellers who don't complete the transaction. Defects are levied for seller-initiated transaction cancellations, so deciding the risk is too great to complete your sale puts you in a Catch-22. Once the sale has taken place, your options for risk mitigation are limited. You either ship and take the risk of losing the diamond and/or the funds, or you get a defect on your account. Enough of those and your standing on eBay is tarnished and selling privileges are compromised. 

In my own selling, the few occasions i sold high dollar goods in that range of $1000+, I found those buyers very easy to work with. No returns, no bad feedback, no loss of time or finances. No scams. So I think you will be alright. Just weigh the advantages against the disadvantages. Is it worth it to you to complete this sale? The UK has a stable postal system. The buyer is an established eBayer. The funds are in your PayPal and you checked the balance by going directly to the site thru your browser (not thru a link in an email). Ship it with Signature Confirmation to the US address on file with the payment. Insure the package--this protects you in case of loss in transit.

Good luck to you in your decision. Come back and let us know how it went.

Message 5 of 36
latest reply

Ebay doesn't look at video.  It's a false sense of security.  If they're using a reshipper you're responsibility ends once it leaves the reshipper.

Message 6 of 36
latest reply

@kataggr-44 wrote:

Ebay doesn't look at video.  It's a false sense of security.  If they're using a reshipper you're responsibility ends once it leaves the reshipper.

Except through Paypal  or their credit card as their rules are different than Ebay's

Message 7 of 36
latest reply

@def_squad1   It's important that you know your rights when the buyer uses a reshipper.  You (the seller) are responsible for getting the package safely delivered to the reshipper, end of story, period, the end.  After that it's on the reshipper. 

If the buyer opens an INR claim on eBay OR Paypal supply the tracking confirmation number to whichever site the INR was opened on.  Then call and ask the claim be closed if it doesn't close automatically.

If the buyer opens an INAD (not as described) claim, call and inform the appropriate CS agents the item was shipped to a reshipper and get the claim closed. It may take more than one call. Inform the buyer they must contact the reshipper as they are now responsible for the claim.

If the buyer opens a credit card "not as described" work with Paypal, and in this case the video evidence may help you, but probably not. 

Overall sales that ship through a reshipper are typically safer than some of the domestic sales.  It takes more work on the part of the scammer to get their money.

Videos as described really only help 1) when filing a police report or 2) small claims court.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 8 of 36
latest reply

You seem really well versed on this topic...so please clarify something for me.  Another poster said paypal rules differ when using a reshipper.  Does that mean if a buyer files snad on paypal, they can return the item and get their money back even after it leaves the reshipper?  Does the seller have to pay shipping?

Message 9 of 36
latest reply

The UK residents tend to be very honest on eBay, and they do love jewelry. Just make sure you have insurance for the full amount in case the item gets lost. I like UK buyers and the UK postal service, never had a single issue, and it is uber fast.

Message 10 of 36
latest reply

@cashvaluerecovery2011 wrote:
Its not paranoia. Its reality on ebay. If you are going to sell expensive stuff be prepared to ship it and hope. Here is what i do.

Have a friend of family member video tape the packaging inside the usps. Be sure you are also under the post office camera incase authorities need it later from a 2nd view. Clise the package. Fix label. Film the addy on the label. Film handing the package to postal employee. Film receipt. I then remove the funds immediately from paypal. The video means nothing to ebay but authorities and courts love video and witnesses.

You usually cant track a package once it leaves the states and overseas buyers very often use this as a convenient way to scam saying they never got it or package was empty. With police reports and proof of filing mail fraud ebay will occasionally give in and not help the scammer get away with it. If you got money that ebay can reach though.....you will be chasing them to and find them much less likely to give you the time of day once they have it.

Its probably not a scam with that much feedback in a year. Just be prepared to protect yourself and your money....ebay will not.

All that will prove nothing in court, because videos can be faked, tampered with, there is no proof of what was handed to the post office wasnt the same box but devoid of it's contents, not to mention it seems rather convenient that the seller just happened to decide to film all that and then claim they got ripped off.

The time to consider whether or not you have the potential to get ripped off is BEFORE you list. After it sells, you ship and pray.

Message 11 of 36
latest reply

On eBay your job is done as soon as tracking shows signature delivery.  

That doesn't prevent them from filing a claim on PayPal or dispute a charge with  their credit card co.

Some country conditions prohibit  valuable items like diamond and gold jewelry to enter their country.  What country is the buyer in?  I know if the package not deliverable they do not have to return it.  Customs can confiscate it.  Then they liquidate the items. 

Message 12 of 36
latest reply

I said twice in my reply that ebay doesnt use video. Its not for ebay. Its for authorities and for use in a court case if needed. It can help authorities to take your case seriously so that they file paper work that ebay might take seriously.
Message 13 of 36
latest reply

@cashvaluerecovery2011 wrote:
I said twice in my reply that ebay doesnt use video. Its not for ebay. Its for authorities and for use in a court case if needed. It can help authorities to take your case seriously so that they file paper work that ebay might take seriously.

But the buyer is in the UK, doubt a video will help. In the US-sure, it will be the evidence with authorities, not eBay.

Message 14 of 36
latest reply

It would have to be a high $ amount to make it worth going to court....The authorities around here would tell you its a civil matter and then motion you away.  I had a videographer at my son's wedding and she showed me before and after film.  It's easily manipulated.

Message 15 of 36
latest reply