cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feeling Suspicious About a Buyer. Should I be concerned?

I recently listed a piece of clothing for over $850 and the buyer has paid to my PayPal which I did check and was on hold.  So far so good but when I looked further into detail, I noticed this buyer has the same address but different name as another of my recent buyers.  I messaged this buyer if he knew or was related to the other buyer and he said no.  Now I am very suspicious.  Should I ship?  What happens if the item is delivered to him and he disputes and claims he never got it or something was wrong?

Message 1 of 72
latest reply
71 REPLIES 71

Re: Feeling Suspicious About a Buyer. Should I be concerned?

Yes it says I should ship to the address on PayPal

Message 16 of 72
latest reply

That's what I was thinking that the warehouse should not be considered residential but maybe the maps are outdated...

My other transaction was flawless, no problems.

Message 17 of 72
latest reply

@bennzho-9 wrote:

So far no problems but it's just he's kind of pushy in the messages.  Like he wants the package to be shipped very fast.

IMHO... if they're pushy? Dump 'em. Cancel & BBL. Not worth an $850 write down or legal expenses to go after them. 

Message 18 of 72
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

Did you check your paypal account.

Is the money in there and you got an OK to ship.

IMO, ship according to the time line in your listing.  Do not let buyers intimidate you into making a mistake.

And make sure because it is over $750 value to get online shipping confirmation.  It is a must.

Make that "online visible SIGNATURE confirmation". Smiley Wink

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 19 of 72
latest reply

Use all the available search sites to see if you can track in real time exactly what the address is used for.

You say it is a warehouse.  Are they a reshipper?

And remember to use online signature confirmation.

The rest is up to you to decide knowing what consequences you may face.

Message 20 of 72
latest reply

@bennzho-9 wrote:

I'm leaning towards a reshipper since it looks kind of like a warehouse but what I'm suspicious about is that the buyer has 3 names in his name (M** H* Y**) and 2 of the names are the same as the previous buyer which he says he has no relation to.  The previous buyer was (H* S** Y**), as you can see they had the same last name/middle name.

Actually it is beginning to sound like a reshipper or a bidding service. Some- but not all- of them will ask you to note the item number on the package. If they asked you for that they're a reshipper for sure.

You can Google the buyer's name or their eBay user ID to see if anything shows up too.

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 21 of 72
latest reply

@gramophone-georg wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

Did you check your paypal account.

Is the money in there and you got an OK to ship.

IMO, ship according to the time line in your listing.  Do not let buyers intimidate you into making a mistake.

And make sure because it is over $750 value to get online shipping confirmation.  It is a must.

Make that "online visible SIGNATURE confirmation". Smiley Wink

Yes, Gregg, I stand corrected.innocent

Message 22 of 72
latest reply

Thanks for the replies and the help!  I searched again and found it was a reshipper/forwarder.  

But if I may ask, do I request an online viewable signature confirmation on eBay or at the post office/UPS.

Message 23 of 72
latest reply

When you do the label there is a box to check for online signature confirmation.

Message 24 of 72
latest reply

What happens if the item is delivered to him and he disputes and claims he never got it or something was wrong?

Then it takes the same course as any other eBay dispute.  Buyer gets full refund, you get negative feedback, you get transaction defect, you get threats from eBay about limiting your selling abilities and all that blah blah we're all accustomed to.

Message 25 of 72
latest reply

Once it leaves the reshipper on ebay seller is completely covered.

Unfortunately, paypal has not caught up yet.

Message 26 of 72
latest reply

Anyway, you think I should be fine though correct?  He has no negative feedback.

Message 27 of 72
latest reply

So Paypal won't use eBay to solve the problem even though eBay has me covered?

Message 28 of 72
latest reply

You can do everything right and it still can go wrong.

There is no 100% way for a seller to protect themselves otherwise we would all be doing it.

Message 29 of 72
latest reply

ebay and paypal are two separate entities, each with their own rules and protections.

Message 30 of 72
latest reply