cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feedback comment's baffling display of willful ignorance

Screen Shot 2023-12-05 at 2.50.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-12-05 at 3.19.39 PM.png

Because this comment came with a positive mark I'm not angry or even irritated, just ..... troubled(?)  by not only the ignorance itself but the explicit invitation for anyone reading to observe it - "see photo".   

And no I don't think she's a non-U.S. buyer; the address was a regular domestic one, and her name is Diane, a not-so-popular name for people as young Zoomers, so it's not like she could be more familiar with the newer quarter obverse design that just came out a few years ago, although there are plenty of the older ones still in circulation. 

Oh and there's also a ruler right there.  

Just saying, if you bought something for which the in-person size was disappointingly surprising, and you went back to look at the listing to see if you were somehow misled, wouldn't you want to be SURE before you aired a grievance about it?  And even if that WAS a dime, then why BUY an item barely bigger than a dime, if you think that's "too small"?   

Incidentally, I do sometimes shoot a second photo of an item with the metric side of the ruler, if I believe it's one that might attract foreign buyers.  And I have about a half-gallon of foreign coins so I may even be able to use one of those, if the item has a very specific national identity, in which case someone from that nation may consider buying.  

Curious, does anyone here have a non-currency object you use for a foolproof size reference?  Cuz apparently there are coin fools out there!  😆

Message 1 of 57
latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

Thanks for sharing! I needed the laugh.

Message 2 of 57
latest reply

Omg that’s hilarious if that’s a dime I’d love to see your buyer’s idea of a nickel. lol 

Message 3 of 57
latest reply

That is exactly how I would have pictured it.  Makes your buyer look like a fool!  

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 4 of 57
latest reply

Too bad she did not use the new picture feature in the FB

Message 5 of 57
latest reply

I should have titled this 'Buyer instructs feedback readers not to believe their lying eyes'. 

Message 6 of 57
latest reply

I'd try to buy some "dimes" from her..........

Message 7 of 57
latest reply

LOL Thank you for that!   😃

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 8 of 57
latest reply

@gurlcat wrote:

Curious, does anyone here have a non-currency object you use for a foolproof size reference?  Cuz apparently there are coin fools out there!  😆

An Egg?? Although you might get a buyer that thinks it's a Prepubescent Duck...

Message 9 of 57
latest reply

@tobaccocardyahoo wrote:

Too bad she did not use the new picture feature in the FB

It's possible that she did, but if I understand correctly eBay is just storing those images until they iron out whatever kinks (?) and then they will drop them on all the feebacks retroactively. -Somebody correct me if I'm wrong about that because I'm actually really curious about it. 

Anyway in my feedback reply I seconded her suggestion to see the photo, pointed out what is different about quarters and dimes, and said "If anything I sell is disappointing, I offer free returns, even if it was the buyer's own misunderstanding."

Message 10 of 57
latest reply

Like others I am still laughing about this. With regards to your question you have to be careful about what you put in the pictures for size reference. I use a tape measure in a lot of my pictures and I also describe the item size in the description. 

Many moons ago I received a return request from a buyer because the tape measure that was in the pictures was not in the shipment.  

rolling eyes.jpg 

This person could have asked you where the ruler and quarter were? 

laugh.jpg

Message 11 of 57
latest reply

That little dog is actually about two dimes...

Message 12 of 57
latest reply

What if that was a picture feed back, wouldn't that be hilarious?

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 13 of 57
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

Like others I am still laughing about this. With regards to your question you have to be careful about what you put in the pictures for size reference. I use a tape measure in a lot of my pictures and I also describe the item size in the description. 

Many moons ago I received a return request from a buyer because the tape measure that was in the pictures was not in the shipment.  

rolling eyes.jpg

And I would honor that return request.  And I guarantee I wouldn't hear a peep from them afterward.  I want to know how do you do jumbo-sized emoji's like that?   I've tried highlighting them and using the size adjuster thingy (like you can with text) but it doesn't work.  Are you here via the phone app (or is that even possible)?  If you're on the website, which browser?  

Message 14 of 57
latest reply

@stainlessenginecovers wrote:

@gurlcat wrote:

An Egg?? Although you might get a buyer that thinks it's a Prepubescent Duck...

Eggs are sold in various sizes for various prices at the store.  

Message 15 of 57
latest reply