cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay harassing me for fees on item I did not sell.

Hi, I have been a buyer of Ebay since 2007. I never tried to sell anything on Ebay until last month. I listed an item and very shortly after cancelled the listing. Ebay is now harassing me for $59.00 in sellers' fees for an item I never sold. This was not clear from the onset. Ebay advertises that you can list up to 249 items for free. I've contacted an Ebay Customer Service Rep who informed me someone would get back to me. No one never did. Now Ebay's Collection Agency is harassing me regularly.  Any advice?  

Message 1 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Re: Ebay harassing me for fees on item I did not sell.

@grass-hopper11 wrote:

I attempted to sell vintage perfume for $375.00. I received 1 bidder but I canceled the listing before the auction ended. I canceled because I thought Ebay's commission/ fees were extremely high. I did not make any secret deals or arrangements to sell to the bidder.  

This page will show you transactions @grass-hopper11 :

https://www.ebay.com/mes/transactionlist?sh=true

Off to the right there's a link to view details next to each transaction. Can you post a screenshot of your transactions so we can help you determine what those fees are for?

Ending a listing early that has bids results in being charged fees on the transaction. On a $46 bid, that's a fee of $6.40, which would be higher if eBay factored in ship cost. Not sure which ship cost they'd use since it's variable (calculated) and there was no formal buyer.

As mentioned upthread, if you added a reserve that's considered a "listing upgrade" so it's not part of the free listing promotion. eBay displays that info on the listing form before you publish.

Reserve fees are calculated at $5 or 7.5% of the reserve price you set, whichever is greater, up to a maximum fee of $250. So a reserve of $375 means a non-refundable reserve fee of $28.13 if you used that option.

I don't believe promoted listings would apply here since you're a new seller and sellers typically have to have a selling history before they can access promotions, but if you do see an "ad fee" on the transactions page I linked above, that's what it would be for.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 16 of 38
latest reply

@grass-hopper11 wrote:

I canceled the listing before the auction ended. 

Here's a link to the bid history, where we can see that the auction was ended early but was recorded as Sold because you didn't cancel the bids:

https://www.ebay.com/bfl/viewbids/155976257053?item=155976257053

If the buyer has paid, you would be charged a final value fee.   If the buyer paid, but you never shipped the item, then they probably would have by now filed a claim for "Item not received."  The total of the buyer's refund (item selling price, shipping cost, sales tax) and the eBay final value fee would be about $59.

Message 17 of 38
latest reply

When you ended the listing with bids it would have sold the item to the highest bidder if you didn't cancel those bids out first.  Did you receive payment from this buyer?  That amount seems to be close to what the buyer would have been refunded for their purchase, since you didn't ship them the perfume. 

Message 18 of 38
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

If the buyer has paid, you would be charged a final value fee.   If the buyer paid, but you never shipped the item, then they probably would have by now filed a claim for "Item not received."  The total of the buyer's refund (item selling price, shipping cost, sales tax) and the eBay final value fee would be about $59.

I don't believe that applies. I checked earlier and the listing was not found in Terapeak, so no payment was made (unless Terapeak is having a problem).

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 19 of 38
latest reply

Thank you for looking into the payment situation.  Well, I'm out of theories.

Message 20 of 38
latest reply

The 250 free listings each month only applies to listing fees.  Final value fees and other fees still apply.  Your financial summary should show what the fees are for. 

Message 21 of 38
latest reply

I NEVER received any payment from the buyer because I canceled the listings.

Message 22 of 38
latest reply

Is it the one you sold on Dec. 31st for $46? 

Message 23 of 38
latest reply

@grass-hopper11 wrote:

On December 31, you ended a listing early but you didn't cancel the bids so that item was Sold. But apparently the buyer hasn't paid for that transaction. You should cancel it now, based on 'Buyer hasn't paid."

Message 24 of 38
latest reply

@grass-hopper11 wrote:

What does the breakdown of the charges state on your financial summary?  There should be an explanation available to you, we can't see this.   Your listing shows sold on Dec. 31st.   If you didn't cancel the bids before ending it, then it will sell to the highest bidder. 

Message 25 of 38
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

I don't believe that applies. I checked earlier and the listing was not found in Terapeak, so no payment was made (unless Terapeak is having a problem).

@wastingtime101  and @nobody*s_perfect,

Terapeak is intended to provide accurate selling prices for successful transactions, so if a seller doesn't ship or cancels a transaction for any reason, that listing might not be included in the Terapeak results, just like it isn't included if the buyer doesn't pay. So I'm not sure that the listing wasn't paid for. Lots of new sellers don't believe they have been paid until they receive the payout in their bank account, but it would probably have been on hold.

I don't think we have the whole story yet. The OP had several other listings for perfumes, which were all cancelled at exactly the same time. I was able to find these three, but there may have been others as well. None of them had reserve prices, and we know that OP failed to cancel the active bids  before they ended them.

Item #Title: Start:  BIN:  Bids: Sold: Ended:
155976257053Christian Dior Hypnotic Poison $    45.00 $    70.002 $   46.0012/31/23, 8:38 AM
155976288055Mandragore by Annick Goutal $  110.00 $  150.000 no 12/31/23, 8:38 AM
155981412681RITUALS Nuit a Marrakech $    60.00 $  120.000 no 12/31/23, 8:38 AM
Totals: $   250.00 $  340.00   

I think there are two possibilities, at this point:

If eBay concluded that the listings were ended in order to sell them to a bidder off-eBay, then there would have been final value fees charged for the total BIN amount.

Or, it could have been the amount that eBay had to refund the buyer plus final value fees for the listing that was ended with a winning bidder.

Message 26 of 38
latest reply

@grass-hopper11 wrote:

Now Ebay's Collection Agency is harassing me regularly.  Any advice?  

I recommend you pay ebay the fees they're asking for or you'll find yourself in trouble if you ever need new credit cards, a mortgage, a car loan, etc. 

For $59, is it worth impacting your credit-worthiness (essentially) forever? 

My guess is that the $59 charge breaks down something like this: 
$46 - item price

$4.25 - estimated shipping (round numbers)

$4.25 - estimated sales tax (can vary depending on buyer's state's rate)

$7 - FVF (approx)

My total: $61.50 (based on estimates)

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 27 of 38
latest reply

@grass-hopper11 wrote:

....I did not make any secret deals or arrangements to sell to the bidder.  

@grass-hopper11 

But you could've and the site would have NO WAY of knowing that.

If you cancel auction listings after a bid met the reserve, you owe unless you let the auction run and buyer doesn't pay and you then open a 'non payer' after 4 days.

Message 28 of 38
latest reply

@stainlessenginecovers wrote: ... If you cancel auction listings after a bid met the reserve, you owe unless you let the auction run and buyer doesn't pay and you then open a 'non payer' after 4 days.

In this case, the auction had no reserve. The seller didn't cancel the auction: He ended it early but allowed the bids to remain, so it shows as Sold.  

Message 29 of 38
latest reply

@grass-hopper11 wrote:

Several people have explained that fees can apply when you cancel a listing even if you are not paid. 

Your eBay transaction detail will tell you exactly what fees your were charged, and what they were for.  You have been asked to give us that information but you have not. 

No one here can explain your fees without that information. 

Message 30 of 38
latest reply