cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay eliminates ability to sell Used Fragrances. Why? More self mutilation?

Between 8/14/19 and 8/20/19 ebay eliminated the ability to list Used Fragrances. I discovered this when I went to change the handling time on my listings because I'm going to be unable to ship for a week. The system wouldn't let me save the changes on 53 items due to condition required, one of which I was able to do individually because it was new. There are three condition choices, blank, new with box, new without box. When I selected blank, they would not update/save in bulk or individually. So the blank choice doesn't work. I posted the problem in technical issues and the response I had from one of the blues was "we do not allow for used items to be sold in this category - the item condition either needs to be New with box or New without box." Thus I had no choice but to cancel 52 items. 

Posted policy shows that Used Fragrances can be listed as long as they don't have an applicator that comes into contact with the body. https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/used-cosmetics-policy?id=4290

Eliminating the ability to list Used Fragrances will put me and many others out of business on ebay. How  do big businesses re-market the returns on new items when a customer sprays it, doesn't like the scent, and returns the item? It's no longer new. 

Won't this eliminating cause many to create misleading listings? ie selecting New, but putting Used in the description? 

I'd estimate that Used comprises probably around 75% of my total sales.  If this is really the new policy, then I'm stuck with several thousand dollars of inventory that I'll need to find a way to dispose of or find a different marketing channel. Of late my sales on ebay have been negligible anyway with the last two occurring because of a markdown sale (2 of 3 sales in August so far). Not that ebay cares about my piddly amount of sales.  Seems that ebay is more interested in self-mutilation in recent months than increasing sales. 

condition errors.JPGcondition required.JPGPolicy Fragrance.JPG

Message 1 of 77
latest reply
76 REPLIES 76

Re: Ebay eliminates ability to sell Used Fragrances. Why? More self mutilation?

@charity_scents wrote:

@fab_finds4u @fern*wood 

Read Department of Transportation (DOT), published Final Rule HM233-C. This regulatory rule change incorporates a Special Permit 9275 (SP9275) exemption into the hazmat regulations (CFR-49).

The following article gives a quick understanding. https://www.shippingsolutions.com/blog/a-dangerous-good-shipped-by-any-other-name-would-smell-as-swe...

If I've misinterpreted this ruling, then please let me know. 
Keep in mind people are allowed to take perfumes in their luggage on flights. 

BTW, this post wasn't about shipping methods. It was about listing categories. How about staying on topic? 

So you have a special permit or is your perfume less than 70% alcohol?  I didn't know that was possible, if that is the answer.  Good to know for others selling perfumes.

Message 31 of 77
latest reply

Interesting result. I did a search "Balenciaga perfume". Ebay threw me into the "women's fragrances" category. I then clicked on "used". 78 results. Actually you don't even have to click on "used" to see this, on the left side where used is listed as a filter there are 78 in parenthesis. 

So perhaps ebay hasn't updated the category yet to not include "used" as this is not the collectibles category. 

Seeing as how seasoned ebay buyers know to watch ebay limiting the results by category without asking us first if we want to do that, then it would be the new or millennial buyers that are being trained to purchase only the new products (once the "used" subcategory is removed). 

Since "used" fragrances will still be available, albeit in only the collectibles category, ebay isn't banning them outright. Yet the question looms why. I do believe it is the same as usual--search manipulation that new buyers to ebay purchase what ebay wants them to buy, which is the new products in the "fragrances" category. Why would ebay want to get away from selling "used" products? I think simply those of us who sell used items are looked down upon, as in eww, that item is used...let's continue to push and train our buyers to purchase the new and get away from the image of the "used" altogether, it will take time, but we will eventually not need to rely on those sellers at all, and then one day when they are a small enough percentage, we can throw them out and announce we, ebay, are no longer in the used item business. Can't do it yet though, even that 18-19% of sales is still crucial to our bottom line. 

Message 32 of 77
latest reply

Perhaps abuse of shipping perfumes was ANOTHER reason they cracked down. I have some nice vintage Chanel perfume bottles (with too much perfume) I got from my mother in law's estate. I have do not want to dump the perfume (real perfume, not cologne) but it is old and do not want to sell it as usable either), so I have not figured out how to ship the stuff for a decent price. It is NOT allowed in regular 1st class or Priority, so it is on topic to bring this up as a possible reason for eBay making it more difficult to sell. That was the reason I even looked at this thread, hoping that shipping would come up. 

Message 33 of 77
latest reply

I have sold lots of empty vanity items, perfume bottles, powder boxes, brushes, combs, etc. but all vintage, although there are newer items that would fit in there. That is where I sold vintage Avon bottles, but they were empty or I dumped the dregs in before shipping because I ship 1st class or priority and I know that perfume is restricted. I think putting partial bottles in there might work but if eBay is has key words they are looking for in listings they still probably will pick up the listings to remove.  

Message 34 of 77
latest reply

I have not looked, but what to you bet the Chinese FAKE fragrances still make it through to be sold? I like vintage jewelry, and I cannot find real vintage past the Chinese trinkets for .99cents including shipping that are probably not even made yet and sold as Vintage. Funny how they get away with so much. 

Message 35 of 77
latest reply

@eaux-de-vie wrote:

Perhaps abuse of shipping perfumes was ANOTHER reason they cracked down. I have some nice vintage Chanel perfume bottles (with too much perfume) I got from my mother in law's estate. I have do not want to dump the perfume (real perfume, not cologne) but it is old and do not want to sell it as usable either), so I have not figured out how to ship the stuff for a decent price. It is NOT allowed in regular 1st class or Priority, so it is on topic to bring this up as a possible reason for eBay making it more difficult to sell. That was the reason I even looked at this thread, hoping that shipping would come up. 

My post office has me bag up the perfumes in sealed plastic bags and ship via ground service only.   I'm still not clear about what the OP does.

Message 36 of 77
latest reply

I think that eBay now intends to position itself as another Amazon. The powers that be forget the reason why it was started—for people to buy and sell USED items they no longer wanted, a la a great big online garage sale based on mutual respect and responsibility. The feedback kept people honest, and buyers and sellers accepted the tiny risk that a transaction could go bad—a risk most of us were willing to take in light of the fact that everything was wonderfully laissez faire. I've been buying and selling from the beginning, and in all that time, after nearly 600 transactions, have only been "burned" six or seven times.
Message 37 of 77
latest reply

@fern*wood 
Used to have to apply for a special permit, the SP9275 is an exemption.  Why not read it? Not sure how you aren't clear about what I do. You brought up in message 17 on this thread that I ship via 1st Class or Priority. 
I had to educate my local USPS. I printed out their own notice and brought it in to them. 
@eaux-de-vie 
You must have missed the part where the replies stopped addressing the issue and swerved to shipping. Check out message 17, then message 18 where I was accused of not being truthful, then my response in message 19.  

Message 38 of 77
latest reply

I've read that article, and while it says that a special permit is no longer necessary (thus saving the retailer), it does not say that the item can travel by Priority or First Class and actually make no reference to USPS whatsoever.

It also states that the products are being sold for retail sale.

https://www.costha.com/uploads/comments-petitions/1417552676_SP9275%20Guidance%20Document%20June%206...

Furthermore, the ruling states that the DOT doesn't regulate those particular shipments anymore (not requiring permits), but it does not override USPS published policy which clearly states that perfume may be shipped, but must go by ground.

https://www.usps.com/ship/shipping-restrictions.htm

"Perfume containing alcohol may not be shipped internationally or mailed domestically using air transportation. Perfume containing alcohol, however, may be shipped within the United States by ground transportation."

Message 39 of 77
latest reply

I hope this is not going to really happen...I adore vintage fragrance and even have some Avon from the 60's that I dole out sparingly. I have bought quite a few old bottles here and never been disappointed. The last one didn't even have the label and all the seller could figure out is that it was probably French. I bought it and LOVE it! This just makes me sad.
Message 41 of 77
latest reply

"NOT A SPRAY ...... ( NOT allowed )"

There are LOTS of older perfumes that you open the cap and dab using your finger. Or a cotton ball, or a Q Tip...it's perfume for gosh sakes...lots of alcohol, thus very little risk of contamination. Now a roll-on, hmmmm, I may not want a used one...don't really know.
Message 42 of 77
latest reply

"Perhaps abuse of shipping perfumes was ANOTHER reason they cracked down. I have some nice vintage Chanel perfume bottles (with too much perfume) I got from my mother in law's estate. I have do not want to dump the perfume (real perfume, not cologne) but it is old and do not want to sell it as usable either), so I have not figured out how to ship the stuff for a decent price. It is NOT allowed in regular 1st class or Priority, so it is on topic to bring this up as a possible reason for eBay making it more difficult to sell. That was the reason I even looked at this thread, hoping that shipping would come up. "

PLEASE do not dump that perfume! I have a bottle of Chanel # 5 that is at least fifty years old and it is still just as wonderful as the day it was made. It would break my heart to know that a wonderful fragrance was just dumped. Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
Message 43 of 77
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable
The thing is, eBay charges a higher FVF on collectibles. They've figured out ANOTHER way of making themselves more money. I am always buying used colognes that can't be found in stores any more and I hope that this isn't going to start limiting what I can find OR sell.
Message 44 of 77
latest reply

From your own link:  

https://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2015/pb22409/html/updt_005.htm

343.27 Authorization to Mail Ethanol-Based Flammable Liquids or Solids
Flammable liquids or solids that contain ethyl alcohol are eligible to be mailed via domestic air transportation only with prior written authorization.
Mailers must submit a letter of request to the manager, Product Classification (see 214 for address). The request must include a list of each specific product to be mailed under the authorization, an MSDS for each product, the office of mailing, and expected frequency and quantity of mailings.
Approvals are initially provided for the duration of one year. Subsequent approvals are performance-based and will be extended in one- to three-year increments.
If approved, the mailer must:

a. Present a copy of their authorization letter from the manager, Product Classification (to be kept on file at the office of mailing) at the time of their first mailing at any given Postal Service facility. Mailings not sup­ported by an authorization letter will be refused.

f. Label each parcel on the address side with the marking “Contains Air-Eligible Ethyl Alcohol — Authorization Number #,” using at least 14-point type.

g. Ensure that the addressee of each parcel is notified that the addressee is not authorized to re-mail the contents of the parcel via air transportation. The mail­er must include the following written notice:
“Flammable liquids or solids contained in these packages may be mailed only by consumers (the addressee) via surface transportation in accordance with USPS Publication 52, section 343. Full respon­sibility rests with the mailer to comply with all postal and nonpostal statutes and regulations regarding mail. Information regarding postal statutes, regula­tions, and mailing requirements is available from your local Postmaster or district manager, Business Mail Entry, and at the Postal Service’s mailing standards website, Postal Explorer, at pe.usps.com.”

I know you said you wanted to keep this on topic, but you also said to show you where you've misinterpreted that ruling.  

I could be wrong as I don't know the scale of your business, but based upon your listings here and profile info, I don't this this ruling applies to you/your business model. 

Message 45 of 77
latest reply