cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay eliminates ability to sell Used Fragrances. Why? More self mutilation?

Between 8/14/19 and 8/20/19 ebay eliminated the ability to list Used Fragrances. I discovered this when I went to change the handling time on my listings because I'm going to be unable to ship for a week. The system wouldn't let me save the changes on 53 items due to condition required, one of which I was able to do individually because it was new. There are three condition choices, blank, new with box, new without box. When I selected blank, they would not update/save in bulk or individually. So the blank choice doesn't work. I posted the problem in technical issues and the response I had from one of the blues was "we do not allow for used items to be sold in this category - the item condition either needs to be New with box or New without box." Thus I had no choice but to cancel 52 items. 

Posted policy shows that Used Fragrances can be listed as long as they don't have an applicator that comes into contact with the body. https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/used-cosmetics-policy?id=4290

Eliminating the ability to list Used Fragrances will put me and many others out of business on ebay. How  do big businesses re-market the returns on new items when a customer sprays it, doesn't like the scent, and returns the item? It's no longer new. 

Won't this eliminating cause many to create misleading listings? ie selecting New, but putting Used in the description? 

I'd estimate that Used comprises probably around 75% of my total sales.  If this is really the new policy, then I'm stuck with several thousand dollars of inventory that I'll need to find a way to dispose of or find a different marketing channel. Of late my sales on ebay have been negligible anyway with the last two occurring because of a markdown sale (2 of 3 sales in August so far). Not that ebay cares about my piddly amount of sales.  Seems that ebay is more interested in self-mutilation in recent months than increasing sales. 

condition errors.JPGcondition required.JPGPolicy Fragrance.JPG

Message 1 of 77
latest reply
76 REPLIES 76

Collectibles > Vanity, Perfume & Shaving > Perfumes > Other Perfume Collectibles

I believe Trinton suggested on another thread to use a category in Collectibles...........and there should be no problem...........

Message 2 of 77
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

Collectibles > Vanity, Perfume & Shaving > Perfumes > Other Perfume Collectibles

I believe Trinton suggested on another thread to use a category in Collectibles...........and there should be no problem...........

Thanks. He didn't mention that yesterday as an alternative, but I see that used is available on that category, too late now that 52 were deleted. Seems like an illogical move for ebay as that certainly isn't the appropriate category for the majority of used perfumes. Would buyers search that category for what they are looking for and will ebay search algorithm deliver results from that category if no category is designated on the search?   

Message 3 of 77
latest reply

It sounds like you have a valid point.

If your perfumerds do NOT have an applicator that touches the skin, then it should be allowed.

Ebay needs to add another Item Specific for that category:

"Body Applicator Type" .... with a drop down menu of:

SPRAY ..... ( allowed )

NOT A SPRAY ...... ( NOT allowed )

Message 4 of 77
latest reply

This is his complete answer:

Hi @charity_scents, we do not allow for used items to be sold in this category - the item condition either needs to be New with box or New without box. For a vintage item, I recommend you put the term vintage in your title and then select the appropriate item condition (based on whether you do or do not have a box). Once you have this selected, you should then be able to change the handling time.

I poked around til I found what could be a category in which to list..........there could be others.....

There is a filter on the left side, when searching, for New or Used.........

Message 5 of 77
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

Hi @charity_scents, we do not allow for used items to be sold in this category - the item condition either needs to be New with box or New without box. For a vintage item, I recommend you put the term vintage in your title and then select the appropriate item condition (based on whether you do or do not have a box). Once you have this selected, you should then be able to change the handling time.

I poked around til I found what could be a category in which to list..........there could be others.....

Yes, that is his complete answer. If you looked at my responses you would see that the word Vintage in the title didn't change the outcome as the title has no bearing on the category. There is no Vintage Fragrance category.

This decision still doesn't compute. If a used fragrance item isn't collectible, then it leaves it without an appropriate category. Shoot, why don't I just list it under accessories or clothing? Because it doesn't belong there. It belongs in Fragrances. 

Message 6 of 77
latest reply

Seems like an illogical move for ebay as that certainly isn't the appropriate category for .......

Everyone should know by now, these 'changes' are not based on logic.  It seems like if some programmer in India decides that Lincoln Logs belong in "business and industrial" that is where you better put them even though it makes you look like an idiot. 

Message 7 of 77
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

Would have been nice if he indicated what the catagories he found were.... 

Message 8 of 77
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

Seems like an illogical move for ebay as that certainly isn't the appropriate category for .......

Everyone should know by now, these 'changes' are not based on logic.  It seems like if some programmer in India decides that Lincoln Logs belong in "business and industrial" that is where you better put them even though it makes you look like an idiot. 

LOL ! True ,, but ya never know ,, somewhere there might be an ant farm  interested in expanding  their homestead . Tulips 

Message 9 of 77
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

I was confused about his reference to vintage. If I were looking for perfumes that I want to use I'm pretty sure I would not be looking for collectible or vintage.  To me a collectible perfume would be that old bottle I have left over from the 50's that I never liked but I still hang on to because I like the bottle.

Message 10 of 77
latest reply

You could try the different category  here too.  Tulips

Message 11 of 77
latest reply

Sorry for the double post ,, but it said I ran out of time  to finish  my  message . I forgot to take the Evelyn Wood speed  typing course . Tulips 

Message 12 of 77
latest reply

@readabouthorses wrote:

@dhbookds wrote:

I was confused about his reference to vintage. If I were looking for perfumes that I want to use I'm pretty sure I would not be looking for collectible or vintage.  To me a collectible perfume would be that old bottle I have left over from the 50's that I never liked but I still hang on to because I like the bottle.

Not to mention that most of the partially used fragrances are contemporary - ie, in no way vintage or "collectible".

You really do have to wonder why ebay has chosen to wipe out a whole thriving sub category.

It's not like they're 'used' cosmetics like lipstick, mascara etc etc.

Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 13 of 77
latest reply

Sorry to read this. Bad news for me as a buyer.  Don't buy very much here anymore but I DO buy used fragrances in spray bottles when I run out of my favorites.

There may be a way to get your deleted listings back if you want to. It was in another thread I read recently. Maybe someone here will know. Good luck to you.

Message 14 of 77
latest reply

@turquoisetulips @myjunqueyourtreasure 
If a person is 18 or 21  they can legally purchase dangerous life threatening substances as in tobacco and alcohol, but  they can't purchase a used fragrance  that  won't even be ingested . Tulips 

....another selling  site....Not to mention that most of the partially used fragrances are contemporary - ie, in no way vintage or "collectible".

You really do have to wonder why ebay has chosen to wipe out a whole thriving sub category.

It's not like they're 'used' cosmetics like lipstick, mascara etc etc.

Exactly! Most fragrances contain a great deal of alcohol. LOL
I have the items listed on Bonanza too but they don't have the traffic of ebay. (Right now they are on reserve while I am not able to ship). 

Message 15 of 77
latest reply