cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Has Forced Guaranteed Delivery!!! Did NOT Opt In!

auctionpet
Guide

Surprise! Surprise! Despite the fact that my site preferences say NO for Guaranteed delivery, nor did I click to OPT IN, ebay has changed ALL my listings to Guaranteed Delivery!

The estimated delivery dates being completely unrealistic and actually impossible. My listings all have 2 day handling. They're all showing delivery by Monday May 6 for someone in my area. That's impossible, considering the 2 day handling wouldn't have me shipping an item until Monday if it was ordered today (Thursday), as the 2 days doesn't include weekends. CS couldn't seem to comprehend this.

I DO NOT want Guaranteed delivery. I have no interest in being forced into it or being forced to take a return simply because ebay gives a buyer an unrealistic magic carpet delivery time and the carrier can't meet it. Resulting in a potential large monetary loss due to loss of paypal fees, and shipping both ways!!

I phoned CS and they state that ebay has the policy requiring automatic Guaranteed delivery if you use an expedited shipping method, despite any handling time! The only way out would be to chose a non expedited shipping method. It's hard enough to get sales, buyers aren't going to select listings with economy shipping. I asked the rep to tell me where I could see this new policy and he couldn't point it out to me of course! This is not good. After I hung up, I saw my other account was also suddenly showing all Guaranteed Delivery!

First it's forced GTC and now it's forced Guaranteed Delivery. Did I miss something? Can someone show me the policy that just took effect forcing sellers into this nightmare of guaranteed delivery if they use expedited shipping!! It seems seller's hands are tied no matter what they try to do here and they have zero control over their listings or business!!

Am I the only one suddenly seeing this change?!

Message 1 of 91
latest reply
90 REPLIES 90

I'm sorry but it has been this way for some time now.  If you extend your handling time, you may be able to remove it.  eBay places guaranteed delivery on those listings that qualify for it.

Message 2 of 91
latest reply

No, you are not the only one. Sorry to tell you that CS has lied to you. I do not offer expedited shipping on my items and they have put guaranteed delivery on some of my items also. My listings that they have added it to clearly show economy shipping with 1 day handling.

Message 3 of 91
latest reply

I don't understand this. Ebay stated you had to opt in to the program.

They're clearly not calculating the delivery estimates correctly! I changed one of mine to 3 day handling just to see what would happen, it still showed being delivered by Monday May 6......now how could that possibly happen when it wouldn't be shipped until after that date! Things are seriously out of whack here and sellers are the one's who will take the hit!
Message 4 of 91
latest reply

Sellers will not take the hit.  As long as you get your item out with in your stated handling time you will be fine.  The estimated delivery date has nothing to do with you.  If you ship out in what every your handing time is, Ebay will cover the cost if someone files for the guaranteed delivery.  I have had a couple GD claims and they have not effected me at all.  I got my item out on time, so Ebay pays the claim... Not me  or YOU.

Message 5 of 91
latest reply

I thought the same thing.  What the heck is going on here.  But come to find out I was mistaken, this is no longer a policy you need to opt into.  Ebay will do that for you under certain circumstances.  This link will provide you with more accurate information on the subject.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/eBay-Now-Guarantees-Fast-N-Free-Shipments/ba-p/29127299

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 6 of 91
latest reply

I have been experimenting lately with some of my listings and changing my shipping from free to $0.02. So far this has removed those listings from qualifying for the Fast N Free guarentee.

Message 7 of 91
latest reply

@go-bad-chicken wrote:

I have been experimenting lately with some of my listings and changing my shipping from free to $0.02. So far this has removed those listings from qualifying for the Fast N Free guarentee.

Yep that will do it.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 8 of 91
latest reply

My listings changed because I had 3 day handling and normally would ship within 1 day.  eBay took my activity history and made the change for me!!!!!

I have now put 4 days handling on all of my listing and add a note within the item description that states 'Items normally ships within 2 days!"  That "4 days" took care of eBay making changes.  Works for me and I have many customers that state in FB about quick shipment . . . .!

Seller since 09/20/01 ~~ this is my posting ID.
Message 9 of 91
latest reply

@auctionpet wrote:
I don't understand this. Ebay stated you had to opt in to the program.

They're clearly not calculating the delivery estimates correctly! I changed one of mine to 3 day handling just to see what would happen, it still showed being delivered by Monday May 6......now how could that possibly happen when it wouldn't be shipped until after that date! Things are seriously out of whack here and sellers are the one's who will take the hit!

You are right~that is how it worked initially.  But then they went to no opt in, the system just sees if your items qualify and adds it.  Possibly this was due to sellers not opting in; I don't know.  Possibly because it was easier.  But many weren't comfortable with the idea of Guaranteed Delivery because the carriers themselves do not guarantee delivery.

Were you logged in when you tried that experiment?  The time could be showing what the time would be if you shipped to yourself?

I don't know if they have changed it, but eBay went to using your historical shipping time instead of your handling time.  So say you had a three day handling time, but usually shipped the same day or the next, they would use that to figure estimated delivery dates and not base it on your handling time.

Message 10 of 91
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

I'm sorry but it has been this way for some time now.  If you extend your handling time, you may be able to remove it.  eBay places guaranteed delivery on those listings that qualify for it.

I have switched everything to 3 day delivery, economy, and that mess disappeared.  If I can get the item out faster, I will - goody-goody for both buyer and me - but I am not losing sleep over it. 🙂

What gets in my craw is when eBay insists that I allow local pick up on a 3$ item - grrrr - I am so tired of removing this so called option being forced on me.  And the volume pricing seems to have become a has-been too - that was good, now it seems to be unusable - you can set it, but the option is not in the listing anymore. 

I am a founding member of the eBay Community Expert Group: a USA volunteer mentor with over a decade of experience. I am not an eBay employee.

Live simply. Care deeply. Love generously. Speak kindly. Laugh loudly. Act responsibly. Rejoice daily. Help cheerfully. Plan carefully. Criticize sparingly. Invest wisely. Forgive willingly. Shop seriously. Play fairly. Learn graciously.
Message 11 of 91
latest reply

I phoned CS and they state that ebay has the policy requiring automatic Guaranteed delivery if you use an expedited shipping method, despite any handling time! The only way out would be to chose a non expedited shipping method. 

So sadly wrong ^^^.

And these are the people we're supposed to talk to about the new "seller protection" from abusive buyers.

Yeah, that's going to work.  Not.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 12 of 91
latest reply

You are not the only one who has extended their handling time as they did not want Guaranteed Delivery.  

I didn't know they were adding local pick up.  I can't see why they would do that.  Possibly their reasoning would be because the item is so inexpensive, it would save on shipping, but actually they make more money if the item has shipping, so I don't know.  But not everyone is going to want to or even be able to do free local pick up.  Possibly a glitch?

There does seem to be an issue on volume pricing as I have seen another thread on this today.

@Anonymous 

tyler@ebay 

Hi!  Could either of you gentlemen confirm that local pick up is now being added to listings?  Possibly this is a glitch?  It's perplexing.  Thank you!

Message 13 of 91
latest reply

@autopartspuller wrote:

Sellers will not take the hit.  As long as you get your item out with in your stated handling time you will be fine.  The estimated delivery date has nothing to do with you.  If you ship out in what every your handing time is, Ebay will cover the cost if someone files for the guaranteed delivery.  I have had a couple GD claims and they have not effected me at all.  I got my item out on time, so Ebay pays the claim... Not me  or YOU.

this is true...it is basically a marketing scam to the buyers, who get irritated when their item doesn't arrive on time according to ebay's promises.  However, ebay handles the remedies (ie either refunding shipping when shipping as been charged, or by offering a $5 credit toward future purchases if shipping was free).  None of this comes out of your pocket, but that doesn't mean the customer can't leave a negative feedback.  

Message 14 of 91
latest reply

@e-cheddar wrote:

@autopartspuller wrote:

this is true...it is basically a marketing scam to the buyers, who get irritated when their item doesn't arrive on time according to ebay's promises.  However, ebay handles the remedies (ie either refunding shipping when shipping as been charged, or by offering a $5 credit toward future purchases if shipping was free).  None of this comes out of your pocket, but that doesn't mean the customer can't leave a negative feedback.  

The fact that it won't affect the seller is only partially true. If you read the 'details' section the buyer sees, it states they can RETURN the item if not received by the Guaranteed Delivery date. This would lose the seller a sale, cost them shipping both ways and come May 7, the paypal fees. It doesn't state anywhere that ebay will cover these loses. That possible event has nothing to do with one shipping within the stated handling time.

Message 15 of 91
latest reply