cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Click to view entire descripton??? What the heck???

Has anyone seen this new layout for listings? I have a button on my last listing called 'click button to view entire description'.

There is a completely blank screen unless one clicks that button. There is NO description of the item for sale until you click this button and then the description opens in a separate window.

What is this all about - an I in a test group?

Message 1 of 1,018
latest reply
1,017 REPLIES 1,017

Re: Click to view entire descripton??? What the heck???

This is my buying ID

Ebay is going to do what will make it the most money. Personally, I think the theory of selling the white space resulting from hiding descriptions is most sound. The decision will not be based on the 'tell us what you think' data, the sales data, or the amount of clicks. It will be decided by whether they can nail enough contracts for ads in our white space to make it worth their while. All we can do as sellers is hold on and adjust if the change is made, most likely in the Spring Update. Maybe we'll be able to find some clever work-arounds, maybe not.

My association with eBay has gone from main selling venue to marketing tool over the past several years. I limit my listings to what is free with my store, and I never go over. I've reduced my presence here and increased it on my other selling venue, and I've invested in my own website. Ebay is just a marketing expense at this point. I only use them to bring buyers to my website, which has much more to offer. That's how I've adjusted to the constant disruptive innovation of eBay.

That would be my advice for everyone else, too. Improvise, adapt, and overcome, as the infantry says.

TRS, Powerseller

Message 586 of 1,018
latest reply

I think I'm what ebay would consider a major buyer and last night I looked at some of the items on my watch list. I was horrified and used that "see more" link on at least 6 items I was watching. And of course I commented on each and every one of them. This morning they are all back to the old format.

What really disturbed me was that the condition box (now named seller notes) was gone. So why did sellers have to go thru months of rewrites to get that on the item page. IT'S GONE.

And then the categories are gone on the individual pages. I use the categories extensively when I find an item I like. I buy a lot of expensive jewelry and expensive books.

I'm so upset as both a buyer and a seller. I want to cry at what they are doing to this site.

And just for the record, I asked two sellers questions about the condition of their items yesterday. I'm not sure at this point if the description was there and I just missed it or they were just newbees or whatever. But I suspect the descriptions were hidden. I suggest buyers and sellers start using that question icon that is so very obvious to buyers now that it is in the treasured place on the first view of the item.

Oh, and I hated having to drill down to see the entire description once I do click on the description link. It's especially annoying when there are additional pictures. I can't ever see the entire description or even the entire picture. All I see is the first third, then the second then the last third of the picture, That is SO STUPID.

Message 587 of 1,018
latest reply

@anneaxelrod wrote:

I think I'm what ebay would consider a major buyer and last night I looked at some of the items on my watch list. I was horrified and used that "see more" link on at least 6 items I was watching. And of course I commented on each and every one of them. This morning they are all back to the old format.

What really disturbed me was that the condition box (now named seller notes) was gone. So why did sellers have to go thru months of rewrites to get that on the item page. IT'S GONE.

And then the categories are gone on the individual pages. I use the categories extensively when I find an item I like. I buy a lot of expensive jewelry and expensive books.

I'm so upset as both a buyer and a seller. I want to cry at what they are doing to this site.

And just for the record, I asked two sellers questions about the condition of their items yesterday. I'm not sure at this point if the description was there and I just missed it or they were just newbees or whatever. But I suspect the descriptions were hidden. I suggest buyers and sellers start using that question icon that is so very obvious to buyers now that it is in the treasured place on the first view of the item.

Oh, and I hated having to drill down to see the entire description once I do click on the description link. It's especially annoying when there are additional pictures. I can't ever see the entire description or even the entire picture. All I see is the first third, then the second then the last third of the picture, That is SO STUPID.

Is it possible to take a screen shot to show us what you are seeing?

Message 588 of 1,018
latest reply

Hang on everyone, they're probably designing a new logo, or expanding the defect policy to more barrels, having us look over here....... That is the only logical explanation for any of this.  Does not stick to the walls here.

Personally, I don't care what they do with my listing text. I never used it anyway. If my text doesn't fit in the Seller's Notes section, the item just isn't worth the headache of listing here.  Antiquities and collectibles and unique items will vanish.  This seems to be one more huge jump to the dollar store image.

"WE have you "protected"..."
Message 589 of 1,018
latest reply

Dear Sir at Ebay,   Are you nuts?   Who on earth is going to tell you that they do not want to see what the seller posts about the item for sale?  Please take a deep breath and ask if yourself if this really needs to be researched.    Must say,  I agree with another person's comment that it appears the organization is being run by trained monkeys.   Well, maybe no so well trained.   This is silly, counter productive for everybody,  and unbelieveable tht you've done it.

Message 590 of 1,018
latest reply

I agree. It just boggles my mind, and also worries me that people who think like this are actually in charge of making these decisions.

I am not an eBay employee. I'm a US eBay Community Mentor.
Sunny

Message 591 of 1,018
latest reply

@jeff wrote:

The test is called an A/B Test, which means that some users will see the normal experience (they're the control group) and others will see the new experience (they're the test group). By running an A/B Test, we'll be able to see how the behaviors of the control and test groups operate during the same time period while looking at the same inventory.

Seriously??? Wow!!

Does eBay not care how it's going to affect sales? Does eBay not care that buyers may throw up their hands, leave the site and shop elsewhere where things are actually sane?

I am not an eBay employee. I'm a US eBay Community Mentor.
Sunny

Message 592 of 1,018
latest reply

Ebay's (Jeff?) His response didn't change some sellers' minds about the new "buyer experience." Terrell went back into the thread and answered questions from sellers. He promised eBay would remove any negative feedback left for a seller that eBay identifies as resulting from the test.

If there is the possibility of SNAD neg. feedback because buyers can't find the description and eBay will remove the feedback because of the test, logic says this new format does NOT work!!!

This will never work for one of a kind items, antique's, collectibles, etc. Descriptions are VERY inportant to the sale! Plus store items, sales, etc. are not seen.

Message 593 of 1,018
latest reply

@anneaxelrod wrote:

So they don't show the category the item is listed in? That's a bummer and completely ridiculous if so!

Message 594 of 1,018
latest reply

umh, a screen shot would be good to see of the top of the page without category showing.

I am still seeing categories top of page "listed in> xxxx>xxx"

Also as long as the seller is filling in the seller note/condition box and item specs, that will be seen on the first page without clicking.

Photos hosted elsewhere are a real problem, it will look like you only have 1.

If you are using a fancy template from someplace else the pop up page takes forever to load, the plain text description load faster.

I would really suggest copy & paste your entire descripton into the note/condition box if possible.

Add as many item specs as you can.

Message 595 of 1,018
latest reply

I would really suggest copy & paste your entire description into the note/condition box if possible.

Add as many item specs as you can.

That is the best work around!!! Till they clean up this mess. Shoppers will mostly likely not go any farther down the page to find the "complete description" button, this is unfortunate as they will miss extra photos, store info, etc. I do not see how this will benefit anyone, seller or buyer or even eBay.

Message 596 of 1,018
latest reply

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/cab/abn/y15/m02/i16/s01

Doubtful that CS reps will recognize either Jeff T. or Ryan Moore, and their promises.  

I'm also doubtful that the test data includes keeping track of each specific, individual buyer ID that is opted forced into the test. And that would be the only way to "prove" that a SNAD or negative was caused by the test (unless I'm unaware of another way to do it).

tree*fern
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 597 of 1,018
latest reply

One more thing with antiques and collectible, especially lots you need to display more than 12 eBay photos. With Auctiva there are 24 photos and with a big lot you may need all the photos for a clear presentation of the items. Will buyers find this now or completely skip the "description button"?

Message 598 of 1,018
latest reply

The thing I noticed with the plain text description on the pop up page was that it spread clear out all across my 24" monitor. That was a real pain to read. I only looked at a couple and they were both like that but when I came back to Firefox and looked at the listings in regular format the plain text was contained within the description area and much easier to read.
Message 599 of 1,018
latest reply

I havebeen on the phone all morning with Ebay.  FINALLY, I got a rep that was able to confirm that this was a TEST.   The problem for us now, is that we have to go through the whole scenario again, when challenging low DSR for item not as described - all because we were UNKNOWINGLY part of an Ebay test.  Additionally, NO ONE in the customer rep department knew anything about this test.  Had my rep not gone upstairs to TECH, she wouldn't have believed me.  

I am so frustrated that they ramdomly chose some of us to run this ridiculous test and we're left to handle the mess of the aftermath.  I've had to cancel transactions because people didn't relize there was more information to be seen and read and have since changed their minds after seeing the additional information.  

I have no idea WHO to call or complain to.  I'm now holding to challenge my recent low DSR, based on my customers NOT being able to see my own, specific details.   This rep is having a hard time believing that any such test occurred and is suggesting I use the appeal process.  Again UNFAIR because I didn't ask to be part of this ridiculous, covert operation, that surely set us up for failure and set our customers up for disappointment.   

No memos, no notice, no nothing.  If  you call Ebay be prepared to be given the runaround since no one was made aware of this test.   DO have a way for the rep to see this outlash from the community, because without it, they will not believe you.  If they cannot replicate the issue, there is no issue in their minds.   They won't be able to replicate because the test has ended.  

If anyone has any idea who to call regarding this BS test that none of us were aware of,  please let us know.  The results of being part of this test could be devastating to our DSR, Feedback and bank accounts (and it won't be the buyer's fault either).   

Still on hold....

Message 600 of 1,018
latest reply