cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Click to view entire descripton??? What the heck???

Has anyone seen this new layout for listings? I have a button on my last listing called 'click button to view entire description'.

There is a completely blank screen unless one clicks that button. There is NO description of the item for sale until you click this button and then the description opens in a separate window.

What is this all about - an I in a test group?

Message 1 of 1,018
latest reply
1,017 REPLIES 1,017

Re: Click to view entire descripton??? What the heck???

If this becomes the norm for all listings then I am going to feel I am being discriminated against because I use a computer with a huge monitor to view listings! LOL

I couldn't look at them on a stupid mobile device if I wanted to. I don't own a silly phone and I don't own a tiny-tablet. Don't need one. Don't want one.

Having to make one more click to read description could mean the difference between winning and losing an auction if it was found late in the game.
Message 571 of 1,018
latest reply

ebay is doing this because the more 'clicks' they get on their web site, the more they can charge

advertisers.

Now they'll get double the clicks, except for the buyers who don't see that they have to click to

see the description.

Wouldn't it be nice if eBay did a survey and asked sellers first,

before they made a change?

Ha-ha.  They could care less about sellers.  It's all about how

they can make more money. 

Can you imagine the returns for 'item not as described'?

Message 572 of 1,018
latest reply

Eureka! I think I know the answer to the mystery:

I looked at antique.cottage's example with two different browsers. When using Chrome, the insidious "See full item description" showed it's ugly face. When I used Internet Explorer, it showed the old fashioned way like it's supposed to!!!

I am logged in with both browsers, so it's not dependent on the individual user.

Looks like the software geniuses are checking to see which browser is being used. If IE then displays correct, if all other's then it doesn't.

INTERNET EXPLORER DISPLAY:

antique.cottage.jpg

CHROME DISPLAY:

antique.cottage1.jpg

Message 573 of 1,018
latest reply

The Seller's Notes section shows on both. I'm covered.  The minute ebay stated that they don't defend a SNAD for the description, but only the title and Item Specifics, you must have seen the writing on the wall.  china and mega sellers don't sell pre-owned items, (well they do, but they call them new), so they don't need a description. and therein lies your answer.

What is good for them seems to be all that matters here.  And you cannot win a SNAD against them, so who needs a description?  

"WE have you "protected"..."
Message 574 of 1,018
latest reply

Having a click to see description in a mobile app is logical. It keeps the data packets to a minimum, decreases load times and helps keep users from using up their allowed data usage.

Most computer users don't have the same limitations mobile users have. To think that someone who uses a computer is going to like having to click an extra link to read a description is asinine.

Instead of ebay forcing what a few suits thinks users will like why not let users decide what they want. It would be simple to ask if a user wants faster load times or more information when clicking on a listing and adjusting their preferences to reflect their answer.

Rather than force your will on your user base wouldnt it make sense to cater to different demographics within your user base. For the past few years ebay has been trying to make this site one size fits all. All you are accomplishing is chasing away those who don't fit within that size. You people really need to take off your blinders and actually see what your users want.

You can call me Tony
Message 575 of 1,018
latest reply

There is a Link next to   See full item description. Tell us what you think

Please let eBay know what you think

Message 576 of 1,018
latest reply

I would but am not opted in. They probably have everyone who uses the mobile app or mobile site opted in so they can get their desired results. I never use the app and always switch to classic on my mobile devices.

You can call me Tony
Message 577 of 1,018
latest reply

Only 7% of my pageviews on my own website come from mobile.

Go ahead, try to open a 7inch image on your cell phone.

eBay is delusional if they anyone is going to buy a rare stamp using their mobile phone.

Message 578 of 1,018
latest reply

Even a little logic would prevail here. "Click here to see the Seller's full description".

No buyer clicks on a listing NOT wanting to see the description. THAT is the reason you click on one item out of the 5 that ebay decides to show you that are in English.  

I think laziness and cutting corners may come into play here, in that if they build one platform they are hoping it will suffice across all devices, which is totally lazy and CHEAP.  Is anyone here surprised at any of this?

"WE have you "protected"..."
Message 579 of 1,018
latest reply

Wow - I've seen ebay do some stupid things over the past few years, but this one is almost unbelievable.  Let's see - what's the point of ebay - to buy and sell things.  And what should ebay do to encourage that?  Hide the description of the items in question.  Seriously has to be the most illogical thing I've ever heard of  - in a long line of idiotic non-functional software changes they've made over the past few years.  I'm convinced - a Jack Donaghy-esque character is clearly purposefully trying to tank the company - it's the only logical explanation.

Message 580 of 1,018
latest reply

"Jeff stated up-thread that a seller would not be held accountable if the SNAD was opened for a reason that was clearly stated in a description........so just what pray tell should one tell the CS agent if this was to occur? ......... I was told they did not know OR care who this "Jeff" person was......"

Indeed. And how many sellers have been denied any consideration or appeal from buyers who claim SNAD (read, discount reducing defect) when the description that is NOT HIDDEN clearly defines all aspects of the element or attribute alleged to be NOT described, as things currently stand? It is insanity to believe or trust thngs will all 'work out' just because "Jeff said so."

As if this minefield were not already dangerous enough, we get some mouthpiece (uh....nothing personal, ok?) trying to cajole us into believing he holds the safe path map. Those of who believed this last time, now in eBay wheelchairs and caskets, would tend to disagree.
-------- All truths are easy to understand once discovered. The point is to discover them. - - Galileo
-------- Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - - Mark Twain
Message 581 of 1,018
latest reply

"Instead of ebay forcing what a few suits thinks users will like why not let users decide what they want. It would be simple to ask if a user wants faster load times or more information when clicking on a listing and adjusting their preferences to reflect their answer.

Rather than force your will on your user base wouldnt it make sense to cater to different demographics within your user base. For the past few years ebay has been trying to make this site one size fits all. All you are accomplishing is chasing away those who don't fit within that size."

Indeed X2. eBay normal arrogance though, ever since this boneheaded quote from "feerless leader', circa 2007:

"For this kind of technology, customers don't always know what they want..."
- John Donohoe
-------- All truths are easy to understand once discovered. The point is to discover them. - - Galileo
-------- Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - - Mark Twain
Message 582 of 1,018
latest reply

"No buyer clicks on a listing NOT wanting to see the description. THAT is the reason you click on one item out of the 5 that ebay decides to show you that are in English.

I think laziness and cutting corners may come into play here, in that if they build one platform they are hoping it will suffice across all devices, which is totally lazy and CHEAP. "

This is, I believe, the most logical reason given so far for why this is such an absurdly designed 'enhancement', test or no test. Clicking the listing IS a positive action taken to see detail. Why in the h.e. and hockeysticks would anybody believe it to be an enhancement in the name of 'convenience' to make a buyer do it AGAIN?

"Is anyone here surprised at any of this?"

In retrospect, probably not. But I gotta say myself, eBay's propensity to fall out of the stupid selfish greedy idea tree in ways unforseeable continues to amaze.
Message 583 of 1,018
latest reply

snappyauctions14 wrote:

"Is anyone here surprised at any of this?"

In retrospect, probably not. 

----------------------

Surprise?.....oh no.

Think of the description as your voice.

Ebay is preparing to slit your vocal cords.

Message 584 of 1,018
latest reply

Jeff, this is another really bad idea. When will the think-tank at eBay get clear-headed and focus on things that really need to be addressed. Maybe something like why are sales so slow for many sellers? To spend time on something like this is a really bad waste of time, and in my opinion does nothing for buyers or sellers except confuse them.

I'm just amazed at the changes eBay comes up with, and wonder what the powers-that-be are thinking. Are they really trying to make the site harder to use. Are they really trying to bring eBay to a screeching halt? I wonder....

I am not an eBay employee. I'm a US eBay Community Mentor.
Sunny

Message 585 of 1,018
latest reply