cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Click to view entire descripton??? What the heck???

Has anyone seen this new layout for listings? I have a button on my last listing called 'click button to view entire description'.

There is a completely blank screen unless one clicks that button. There is NO description of the item for sale until you click this button and then the description opens in a separate window.

What is this all about - an I in a test group?

Message 1 of 1,018
latest reply
1,017 REPLIES 1,017

Re: Click to view entire descripton??? What the heck???

@carlqsportscards wrote:

@jeff wrote:

@tunicaslot wrote:

Jeff,

Would it not have been wise for Ebay to put up an announcement concerning this Beta testing to warn not only sellers but buyers that there would be an additional step involved to read the item description on some listings.

I know that not everyone follows announcements but a lot of us do. Hence - less outrage and confusion as those of us who read the announcements could have explained it to the rest on the boards and then you could have come in to answer specific questions - maybe without so much outrage.

We do tests all the time. All the time. And, letting people know that we're doing a test sometimes affects the results, so generally, it's not the best practice to announce the tests.

If you have any questions, I'll be glad to answer them if I can.

You previously let all of us know it was a test. That "affects the results" and is "not the best practice"
So, by your own logic, this test should probably just be ended immediately.

Jeff's post here is just ridiculous!  This is not some little innocuous "test."  This is a big deal.  What kind of a company/corporation would completely change a selling policy and not inform their salespeople of the change?  No respectable company that I know of!  What kind of a company doesn't listen to their salespeople's real and genuines concerns about lost sales, which is of course lost revenue for them?  This is no way to run a business.  If ebay really wants to get rid of the small sellers, why don't they just do it instead of using this long, slow, drawn-out and painful process of trying to drive the small seller out by making their lives miserable.  Then we can all sit back and watch as ebay totally implodes.  The small seller is what has made ebay unique for all these years.  If you get rid of us, the essence of ebay is dead and buyers have plenty, believe me, plenty of other sites to go to do their big box shopping. 

Message 436 of 1,018
latest reply

ok, i have a new idea...

How about showing the FIRST 5 lines of the description followed by...

CLICK HERE FOR FURTHER ITEM DETAILS link

At least give a heads up that there is a description.  

Message 437 of 1,018
latest reply

@circa1901 wrote:

@jeff wrote:

Buyers will still be able to file SNADs, but if the reason for the SNAD is an issue disclosed in the description, the feedback will be removed and the seller will not lose any standing because of it.

The operation of the listing has not changed. If a seller is using the managed promotions or sales maximizer to offer discounts, those settings will still apply. Details on how to do this are at http://pages.ebay.com/specialoffers/tutorial.html

The words I bolded give me the impression ebay has made up its mind that this "test" will stay. Otherwise I'd think you'd say "buyers would" and "the operation of the listing would not change". Will and has not sound like a done deal.

It's a test. It should last less than two weeks. My response is in the context of how the functions will operate during the test.

If you can share how you would have responded to the question that would not have led you to this impression, I'll be glad to read it so I can understand what may have led you to have this impression. Thanks.

Message 438 of 1,018
latest reply

@what-else wrote:

@jeff wrote:

Buyers will still be able to file SNADs, but if the reason for the SNAD is an issue disclosed in the description, the feedback will be removed and the seller will not lose any standing because of it.

The operation of the listing has not changed. If a seller is using the managed promotions or sales maximizer to offer discounts, those settings will still apply. Details on how to do this are at http://pages.ebay.com/specialoffers/tutorial.html

Will we be reimbursed for our shipping costs and wasted time as well?

All policies apply exactly as they did before this test began.

Message 439 of 1,018
latest reply

@b86fiero wrote:

@jeff wrote:

@b86fiero wrote:

EBAY JEFF:  If you visit this thread again would you please provide some insight?

If buyers do not click to read the description will said buyers lose their ability to file SNAD's against the sellers?  In other words, if they try to file a case against a seller but did not read the description, the SNAD option will not appear and they would have to choose another reason to return the purchase?

How will this format handle listings where the seller offers a "percentage off 2 or more items" or "free shipping with a $$ purchase" promotions?  I believe this information appears at the top of the item description.  Will sellers have to include promotions in listing titles or pay for sub-titles in order to be seen? 

We already pack as much info in item specifics as we can and ocassionaly run out of alloted space for the item specifics area.

Sorry Jeff, my question about promotions probably should have been better written.

In the current PC format when I click on a listing as a buyer any special discount or shipping offer is noted right at the top of the description.  For a buyer in the beta test do they have to click the description button before they can be seen - as part of the second page when they click read description?  Or do these offers appear on the first screen seen on a beta test listing?  Apparently my seller account is not part of the test as all listings appear as normal to me with the description on one page. 

If it appeared in the descripton box before, it should continue to appear there. If you can find a listing that has this offer, please PM me the details and I'll be glad to look at it (I'm opted in) and confirm. Thanks.

Message 440 of 1,018
latest reply

Now I know why I have had so many questions and cancelled orders lately. This is NOT a good thing, ebay you are playing with my lively hood here. I am not your guinea pig. I want this turned off now!!! This is only going to cause customers to leave low "as described" ratings!!! I am highly upset over this.

Message 441 of 1,018
latest reply

I totally agree!  I said this in another post, but I'll repeat.  This is no way to run a business.  Any respectable company would have their salespeople's input before implementing such a big change, or at the very least, make an announcement.  But what I really don't understand is how a zillion-dollar company like ebay could possibly think this is a good idea?  Their business plan seems to be "let's think of more ways to make things miserable for our sellers AND see if we can lose a few more buyers along the way."  If thousands and thousands of sellers are losing revenue because of this hair-brained scheme, then, of course, ebay must be losing millions in revenue.  And they think this is a good idea because?  It's not just that our buyers must take a look at these listings and think we're lazy sellers, but I bet some of them just think, oh, there isn't a listing here at all.  The first thing buyers should see is an attractive, informative listing to draw them in.  That's just good business.  I don't have a business degree and I know at least that much.  What other company could survive the uproar and outrage this has caused with the very people they generate their income from....and I mean buyers and sellers?  I think this is such a serious breach of god business ethics that it deserves to be splashed all over the busines section of USA Today.  If ebay continues to run their business like this, we will be reading about the in the business news, but it will be about their bankruptcy. 

Message 442 of 1,018
latest reply

@wendybac wrote:

But, how much damage is being done to a seller's reputation meanwhile, and the buyer may never return because they think we are too lazy to give a full description?

This is your post I was responding to previously.  Forgot to copy.

Message 443 of 1,018
latest reply

I am trying to respond to Jeff.  I am a buyer only, I would never sell on ebay.  I checked some items last night, after reading this post.  I am apparently in the test using a desktop.  I buy much less on ebay these days, most of the sellers I loved and appreciated are gone now.  I hate the search that constantly gives me items not related to what I search for.  I resent the time wading thru page after page of worthless to me items.  However, this one takes the cake.  I will tell you what I think every time I look at an item that has no description.  I resent this button, I hate this idea, the  people who devised it are idiots and should be fired.  Are you people seriously trying to drive ebay into the ground?  Bottom line, I am considering buying  what I want on my watch list (before this test) and calling it a day with ebay.  To the sellers that I like and buy from, I am sincerely sorry.  I have enjoyed you

Message 444 of 1,018
latest reply

@jeff wrote:

@ymeagainlord wrote:
NO it hasn't. I was talking about the issue with phone users seeing free shipping where it's not offered. That has NOT been fixed

You were responding to this post - https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Click-to-view-entire-descripton-What-the-heck/m-p/23622525/hig...

That post was specifically about a comment on the February 4 Weekly Chat which was about an issue that came up that morning, and was resolved that same day.

If you are talking about a separate issue, then please do not respond to a post discussing an issue that is not related to the one you are having. I can only read the question in the context of the conversation. If it is a new issue, you can simply hit the "Reply" button at the top of the page and it will start a new conversation within this thread. Thanks.

And in that post you said this - "Again, the issue from two weeks ago was a one-day issue that was identified and resolved in the same day. The issue identified in the Feb 4 Chat is not the issue being discussed here. The issue being discussed here had to do with the app" - which is what -I- was responding to.

THAT issue has still not been fixed.

I think your response to me was uncalled for, frankly.

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 445 of 1,018
latest reply

@jeff wrote:

@circa1901 wrote:

@jeff wrote:

The words I bolded give me the impression ebay has made up its mind that this "test" will stay. Otherwise I'd think you'd say "buyers would" and "the operation of the listing would not change". Will and has not sound like a done deal.

It's a test. It should last less than two weeks. My response is in the context of how the functions will operate during the test.

If you can share how you would have responded to the question that would not have led you to this impression, I'll be glad to read it so I can understand what may have led you to have this impression. Thanks.

I did that in my post ...

Message 446 of 1,018
latest reply

If this is how they intend to keep it, I'm done with Ebay.  Both as a buyer and a seller.  I will sell what I have here in the way of antiques and collectibles on Craig's List or through a local venue.

Cheryl
Message 447 of 1,018
latest reply

cad777864, will you (or anyone) check my listings to see if they are affected?  I would love you forever 😉

Message 448 of 1,018
latest reply

@jeff wrote:

Good to know!  Before I knew this was going on, with an item a week or so ago, the rep just told me I was out of luck, obviously because I didn't know what was up, and they weren't about to clue me in. 

But now I have another one for a flaw that was BOLDY STATED in the description, that was decided in the buyer's favor, so are you gonna take care of that for me?

Message 449 of 1,018
latest reply

@aemi*amore wrote:

cad777864, will you (or anyone) check my listings to see if they are affected?  I would love you forever 😉

I checked three of your listings and the descriptions are all there (no stupid little 'See Description' button).  

Lucky girl.  Smiley Happy

Message 450 of 1,018
latest reply