cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelling a Sale is NOT Free (Ebay and Paypal get their fingers in)

Once again I sold a PICK-UP ONLY item to someone who expected it to be shipped for free.

This is a pool ladder being sold for under $20, and shipping the oversize package would be triple-digits.

I don't know how to make it any clearer that it is pickup only, Capital letters in title and on picture, repeated twice in description in bold (see my 401829135525). Doesn't stop some people from buying (and sometimes paying), then wanting me to ship it for free.

Think its free to cancel an order and make a refund?

Paypal deducts an additional amount, larger than the refund.

When I cancelled due to customer asking to cancel, ebay now says it will be automatically relisted, with their fees tacked on.

As usual, seller gets the entire brunt of the buyer's refusal (or inability) to READ. I pay fees, plus the item is off the market for as long as the buyer takes to respond (if they bother to do that).

Message 1 of 61
latest reply
60 REPLIES 60

Aside from not refunding the 30 cent transasction fee, I am not aware of any "additional deductions" by PayPal. Can you give a concrete example with all the relevant numbers? (i.e. total payment, fees deducted from payment, refund amount from your balance, refund amount from PayPal fees, etc.)

When I cancelled due to customer asking to cancel, ebay now says it will be automatically relisted, with their fees tacked on.

I thought that was an option you could de-select?

This is a pool ladder being sold for under $20

I have local friend named Craig who has solved this problem 🙂

Message 2 of 61
latest reply

You don't have to relist, but when you prepare to cancel the sale you must look for the tiny box and uncheck it in order not to.

Message 3 of 61
latest reply

You can unselect the option to relist when you issue the refund.  I forget most of the time as this is new, but it is there.  

Message 4 of 61
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

Aside from not refunding the 30 cent transasction fee, I am not aware of any "additional deductions" by PayPal. Can you give a concrete example with all the relevant numbers? (i.e. total payment, fees deducted from payment, refund amount from your balance, refund amount from PayPal fees, etc.)

I thought that was an option you could de-select?

This is a pool ladder being sold for under $20

I have local friend named Craig who has solved this problem 🙂

You shouldn't have to pay anything for this, including PayPal.  The Buyer should be responsible for any fees due to their mistake.

You shouldn't have to de-select an option that's set-up to "auto relist."  You should only have to select an option if you want to relist.

Message 5 of 61
latest reply

@swampfox wrote:

Once again I sold a PICK-UP ONLY item to someone who expected it to be shipped for free.

This is a pool ladder being sold for under $20, and shipping the oversize package would be triple-digits.

I don't know how to make it any clearer that it is pickup only, Capital letters in title and on picture, repeated twice in description in bold (see my 401829135525). Doesn't stop some people from buying (and sometimes paying), then wanting me to ship it for free.

Think its free to cancel an order and make a refund?

As usual, seller gets the entire brunt of the buyer's refusal (or inability) to READ. I pay fees, plus the item is off the market for as long as the buyer takes to respond (if they bother to do that).

This is just another example of why I wouldn't want to sell here in 2019.

You should owe nothing to anyone (the buyer should pay any fees for their mistake). 

And, eBay should not assume you want to relist.  If there's a box auto selected by eBay to relist your item, it should be the other way around.

Message 6 of 61
latest reply

The 30 cent transaction fee is what PP keeps.  They keep the transaction fee, but they do refund the balance of the fee to the seller.  This has nothing to do with Ebay, it is all PP.  The did process the original payment and they are processing the refund, so their services were used at a very low cost.

It could be worse, PP had announced they were going to stop giving ANY refund on fees when a seller had to issue a refund of any amount to their buyers.  Fortunately for all of us, they decided not to implement this new rule yet.  But it is still hanging out there and they could put it into practice anytime they want to.

Ebay doesn't charge any fees at all for cancelling a transaction.  When you issue the refund to the buyer, Ebay will be issuing your FVF credit to your account.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 7 of 61
latest reply

Sellers have complained forever that it is a hassle to have to relist items when the buyer has requested cancellation. Once again I say, be careful what you wish for.

Message 8 of 61
latest reply

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

Sellers have complained forever that it is a hassle to have to relist items when the buyer has requested cancellation. Once again I say, be careful what you wish for.

I wish ebay would put the item back in the unsolds after a cancellation/refund.  If I don't select the auto relist button, the item vanishes from my account and I'm unable to find it in order to relist it at a later date.

Message 9 of 61
latest reply

@greg5000 wrote:

You shouldn't have to pay anything for this, including PayPal.  The Buyer should be responsible for any fees due to their mistake.

You shouldn't have to de-select an option that's set-up to "auto relist."  You should only have to select an option if you want to relist.

The OP didn't just say he wasn't getting all his fees back, he claimed PayPal was deducting MORE than the refund amount. 

The OP didn't say he had to de-select an option, he said it was happening "automatically" which implies he had no ability to stop it from happening.

But unless the OP comes back and gives more information, I am skeptical that either of these claims is accurate.

Message 10 of 61
latest reply

"I don't know how to make it any clearer that it is pickup only,"

You can't. Your listing was very clear. The buyer can't read, or just ignored it and thought you might ship it anyway. Wasted your time and money.

"Paypal deducts an additional amount, larger than the refund."

I don't understand this, did paypal deduct an additional amount?

posting ID only
Message 11 of 61
latest reply

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

If true, I assume that was before the GTC Mandate, which throws a Fee curve ball into the mix.

I wish for eBay to be easier and more fun. rainbow

And ... for World Peace. Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 61
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

@greg5000 wrote:

The OP didn't just say he wasn't getting all his fees back, he claimed PayPal was deducting MORE than the refund amount. 

The OP didn't say he had to de-select an option, he said it was happening "automatically" which implies he had no ability to stop it from happening.

But unless the OP comes back and gives more information, I am skeptical that either of these claims is accurate.

Whatever PayPal deducted should be refunded (my opinion).

Others who posted said that eBay "automatically" relists, and you would have to uncheck a box on your listing if you didn't want this to happen.

I think so far I had enough information to answer the OP. 

Message 13 of 61
latest reply

When I sell something local pickup , I write LOCAL PICKUP in the title and in the description too. Here I write it several times in capital letters, in bold print and in color. Heck , I have even written , " Sorry due to the large size of this item /heavy weight, I CANNOT SHIP IT.. I even write this statement in Spanish. So far, so good. I also will ad that if you make an electronic payment , I will reverse it since it's local pickup and I need to be paid in US currency. Now, I don't want to hear from anyone that I am supposed to take paypal in local pickups. I won't do it.
Message 14 of 61
latest reply

PayPal no longer refunds partial fees for a cancelled payment. They keep ALL fees. eBay needs to allow sellers to be able to deduct these fees from buyers that 'accidently' purchase an item or for 'buyers remorse' when they want to cancel right after a purchase as eBay now 'requires' immediate payment on ALL buy it now purchases.. 

Message 15 of 61
latest reply