cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone tell me what is really going on with eBay?

Why so many bad changes??  I can't find stores?  can't search my store?  Sales down 45%?  What is really going on here?  Anyone know?

Message 1 of 66
latest reply
65 REPLIES 65

Re: Can anyone tell me what is really going on with eBay?

I am sure a lot of us would like to know just what is going on with ebay.

I dont think people are scared and hold on to their money. I live N of Houston Tx, and whenever I take either of the 2 freeways down to Houston I often wonder just who is working , the roads are packed, the eateries are full from 11AM to 10 Pm, you cant get into Walmart without driving around to get a parking place. Money is being made and spent.

I really think its Ebay. This site is a mess and people cant find what they are looking for. Someone posted a link to check where sellers  rank in placement. I found one of my items at  placement # 10 and an other at placement # 90 . Most of them I could not find at all. I have now a mix of 50/50 new and used . Stuff is not moving. This week I am down 41%  and y/y 40% . Something is very badly wrong.

Message 16 of 66
latest reply

I suspect I know what is really going on. My opinion on the subject may not go over too well with ebay, and I may be called a crazy conspiracy theorist. I think it has to do with the new world order pushing mass consumption of cheap manufactured **bleep**. The elites don't make a lot of money off of the small sellers, especially the ones selling used items. If people buy something used, they aren't buying the low quality mass produced junk. I also don't think they like the idea of people being self employed. That is why they are forcing us to conform more and more to their idiotic ideas. They want to push us out like big turds. They know we can't afford free shipping, free returns, free everything on items that cost $5. Large companies can afford to absorb the cost easier than we can, not to mention they get better deals on shipping, etc.  The elites are trying to push the United States of America to total destruction, depopulation, and no borders. They want us to have to work for a large "meat grinder" corporation that treats employees like **bleep** with little pay and almost no benefits. It all boils down to total subjugation. How do I know this? Not only do I sell books, I read them too.  It will get worse unless WE do something about it. I'm still trying to figure out what, other than refuse to conform to their ideas of what they want us to be.

Message 17 of 66
latest reply

And the bleeps on my post weren’t curse words, for the record. Apparently even a four letter word starting with a “c” that means poo is intolerable.  I guess we have to talk like preschoolers to keep from offending any of the darling flakes of frozen precipitation they bow down to. 

Message 18 of 66
latest reply

I wonder if eBay is trying to clean things up to be sold or taken over...

Message 19 of 66
latest reply

No, they're making money. They're trying to shift over to a platform that more resembles their competition. They're simply copying bigger and better business models. They're even testing a "prime" type system overseas. We'll see how that works out...

The garage sale days are over and auctions, once a thrill, are now passe. Ebay is a business and will continue to follow what brings in the revenue. Some big long-time companies have had to throw in the towel but ebay isn't close to that yet. Not while they're still making bank.

Message 20 of 66
latest reply

This was my thought too.  I saw this in Home Video.  The Supliers wanted to "circle the wagons"  get the big accounts identified so they can go direct with them and bypass the middle man.  Once this is done you will see the little store fade away due to price.  The smaller stores will not be able to compete because the playing fieled is not even.  This would be true for New items.  This would not work for Used.  If the stock price keeps going down then eBay becomes more attractive as a buy for a larger suplier.  Like what?  Google?  

Message 21 of 66
latest reply

Just another opinion to throw out there Just think about the millions of other retail wholesale and auction selling sites that have come on line since ebay started. People also buy from them and dont always go to Ebay or Amazon.  Ebay is not only competing with Amazon but millions of other online selling sites as well. Several of my wholesalers I have been buying from for years have started selling retail and competing with there own retailers.   

Message 22 of 66
latest reply

My sales are down almost 30% and I've tried a lot of different things to get them back up but the difference is, this should be my busy season as I sell sports cards ( mostly baseball) and my slow time is November and December. I do everything according to what I'm required, free shipping even on the less expensive cards, 1 day handling, list every day, some auctions and some fixed priced listings, but when I searched for my items I'm 85th on items that every other card dealer will or should have. So I don't know what it is but my sales have fallen off a cliff as well and its not just you. The money is out there but I don't think its coming down to the smaller businesses on here anymore. I called Ebay and asked them and CS couldn't explain why when all my listings were accurate so if they don't know why I don't see how we're going to figure it out

Message 23 of 66
latest reply

You should expand your territory. Take a look at the 2 vintage golf balls I sold last Friday.  I posted them at about 6 AM & they sold around 11 AM.  I may of sold them too cheap. I was'nt sure what they would sell for, eBay didn't have any sold listings to go by. 

I did'nt even realize vintage golf balls was a thing until I posted but apparently it is.

Message 24 of 66
latest reply

So we are in the same boat.  

We have loss employees because eBay forced us to cut hours because of decreased sales and increased cost.

The last big slap in the face is eBay will raise our final value fees 44% per month.  Well they say only 4% however going from 9.15% to 13.5% is a 43.7% increase. 

Because of great customer service we issue $240 in refunds for returns per month so eBay is going to increase or final value fees $400 per month.  Your right does anyone there understand business?

If you increase our cost $400 per month we have to sell $2000 more to make the same money and sales are still down.   More work for us for less money.  More money for them for less value.  

We are still looking for any seller that sells over 500 items per month of pre-owned clothing that has a return rate of .7%.   EBay says that is average for our peers.    If .7% is average where are all the members selling 10k per month with zero returns?  

"This is the most unethical, heartless company"?

You do know that eBay knows the cost of sales on the seller hub has been grossly misrepresented for years and chooses to do nothing about it.

If you look at your listing fees for the last 31 days shown on your selling cost on the performance page of the seller hub and compare it to any of your invoices for a 31 day period you will see a huge difference.  

We pay for the seller hub to manage our eBay business however all of the numbers are wrong and eBay knows it and refuses to fix it.   

Message 25 of 66
latest reply

If you watch Shark Tank.  Mark Cuban does'nt like investing in small businesses that make money on these type platforms.   All it takes is a few policy changes that will wipe you out & for that reason he is out.

Message 26 of 66
latest reply

@nessas_nook wrote:
Sorry to hear that your sales have been falling. I was trying to narrow down the field and get to some answers. 😕

I just wanted to let u know that i sell New items and my sales are slow too, so I'm thinking it doesn't matter if our stuff is used or new, just slow all over unless ur selling from a foreign land that offers super cheap new items with free shipping.

Message 27 of 66
latest reply

I called them as one of my stores is barely online. Many of the items are not showing and NOTHING is selling. Nothing. Two (American) reps on the phone confirmed my store was compromised. Agreed my items were not being seen, even by them! They couldn't find them either. The account is stellar with nothing at all affecting it. They combed it, said it looked great.

Today, nothing has changed. I was promised technical was on it. They told me to take some of the items down and make new listings for them. I did.

I'll skip all the in between because it is the same inane babble we have all heard over and over from their reps. They admitted my store was compromised and is not selling anything. It can't, some items are not showing, no idea what is going on with the rest of my items. They admitted my items were not showing on the search engine. They admitted it was happening to, quote, "A LOT OF SELLERS". They actually said an apology letter was coming to sellers about this very issue. They said they were trying to fix it. They said, they said, they said.

My store is still messed up. No one has gotten back to me. I called 3 days ago.

Moral:

YES. Some sellers are affected. I am. They admitted it and furthermore admitted it is a problem for many.
They said they do not know what is going on.
They said I was being sent to technical, blah blah, blah.

Nothing has happened. Some sellers ARE affected. Many, many items are NOT INDEXING on the search engines. Check out some of you listings sellers with non existent sales. You may be one of them. eBay admitted to me it is happening, not that the die hards here will believe it. Feel free to troll me OFF the board in private message if you feel the need. I am not a liar, there IS a problem and they admitted it. Do not derail this thread with everything is OK at eBay and its your listings, prices, photos, whatever. eBay had said something is wrong, with MANY SELLERS. K?????

They didn't give me any credits for pulling and resisting my items, only to see them still not go live on the search engines, again. No help with my dead store, no suggestions on what to do other than to take them down and quote, "Try again". On my dime of course. All that time lost, all those listings dead, and worse, hearing from eBay and everyone that it isn't happening.

They even had the nerve to say, "Well, I see you have sold a few items on this ID". Yeah, a handful of things I put on bargain basement fire sale in desperation to see if anything would sell. How does that make up for my other store being almost offline with no reason, explanation or solution, just a, "We don't know what is wrong, but it is, and a letter is coming.......". This from a massive company like eBay? I don't know, sorry, try again, on your dime, we'll fix it, can't figure it out, pull and re list, on and on, IS NOT OK FROM A COMPANY OF THIS SIZE. NOT OK!

Sorry to all of you who are going through this. Just know IT IS HAPPENING despite what the nay sayers keep hammering at you. My accounts are stellar, nothing bad on them at all, it's something wrong on eBay's end, they admitted it to me. FYI, I had American reps working with me. FYI, nothing is fixed. I expected something to happen, but nothing happened. Items are still not indexed.

IT SURE AS H E DOUBLE TOOTHPICKS IS PEOPLE. Go look through your listings. They have admitted it is happening to the point of saying an APOLOGY letter is coming. BFD, I don't care one hoot about a letter or 5 million more free listings that have to be done in a nano second that are supposed to make up for this, admit to everyone what is going on so people can adjust.

On a similar issue, my stores are still having problems with the view counter, everything keeps resetting back to 0/0. Any update on this?
Message 28 of 66
latest reply

Same here, more listed than ever before in 18 years on eBay and sales dropped 31% this month!

Message 29 of 66
latest reply

I have a closing sale, it’s really a transition one, but felt good to put a time limit on the torture
Message 30 of 66
latest reply