Did you mean: 

Can I sell this on eBay?

Is this allowed to be sold on eBay?

IMG_0096.jpeg

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Can I sell this on eBay?

I highly doubt it, since it has to do with the slave trade.

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

@zas_nic 

Questionable.

Is there a certificate of authenticity?

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

"authentic slave made brick" from a plantation in Louisiana? I'm going to say that's a hard no based on eBay policies.

Adding policy link:

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/offensive-materials-policy?id=4324

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 4 of 21
latest reply

@zas_nic 

I would refrain from listing that item...but that's just me.  Someone could find it offensive, report it and eBay would remove it.  You don't need that aggravation. 

I wouldn't list it. 

Happy Selling!

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

In 2020 following the George Floyd incident eBay implemented a policy for items related to Black Americana or slavery.  They were prohibited  and will be taken down if you list.

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

Like most internet marketplaces, Ebay censors much of American history without any thought to whether it is offensive to a person with a brain or not.

They do not pay enough for applying reason to such questions, and it would not be a good idea to offer this item. There is bound to be someone who is hurt by seeing this item who reports it to Ebay.

If the slave who made this brick were my ancestor, I would be heartened and proud that they left this relic which will soon be 200 years old.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

Gut says probably not.  Just double-check with a higher level of ebay cst supt person.

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

Offensive, and dubious. Possibly a modern fantasy item or an old brick altered at some later date.

Seems unlikely that anyone would take the time in the 1840s to make decorated slavery mementoes during the mass production of a utilitarian object.

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

That is certainly some sort of modern fantasy item. No one cared about or wanted an official slave made brick back when that was the norm.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

Here is a historical example of a slave made brick with the appropriate markings from the same era.

onefootflippers_0-1699067097437.jpeg

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

Donate it to a nearby museum.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

@zas_nic 

That's a mighty small "brick," doncha think?

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

Lmaoooo.... why would someone be heartened and proud their ancestor left behind a relic they were forced to make? I mean... they were a slave and had no choice unless they preferred a beating or worse... and you never know, they might actually be your ancestor and you can be heartened and proud. 

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

There is no way in a million years that is real. 

First off, that wouldn't be something braggable or sellable at the time. No one would want it. Slave made would have made it worse, and authentic was barely a concept at the time there was nothing that wasn't authentic.

Secondly, the thing obviously came out of a mold, and was poorly done at that. No one meticulously hand carved that head and then carved letters that were somehow magically almost completely filled back in when it comes to some of them. That is the result of pouring the material into a mold and creating it from that.

Finally, the bright white areas where the surfaced is chipped shows off a much finer and more modern medium than would have been used to make bricks on a plantation. 

Message 15 of 21
latest reply