cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to handle an exchange?

I don't usually accept returns on the apparel items I sell. One buyer says that the t-shirt he bought from me is too small and would like to exchange it for a larger size. How do I handle this? If I agree to exchange it, how about the shipping? I don't want to pay for it. How do you handle this? Does he ask to return the item and give a reason? I need some advice on this. Thanks.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Buyer should open a return for "doesn't fit" and place a new order for the larger size.

To do an exchange instead of a return/new purchase through eBay's system, that would require enabling that option in your return settings in advance.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

does not fit is a remorse case were they should pay for return.

Yet if this is your fault (wrong item or mistake in listing) then you need to make it right with all cost on you.

Exchange is a risky thing to do: return for refund or let em keep it and refund is the options.

After refunding them they can then purchase correct item if the desire to do so.

Note you have a blocked bidder (buyers) list you made need to use in such cases.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

So what is the procedure? Buyer opens a return case because it doesn't fit. He gets his money back before I receive the shirt back? Is he suppose to return the shirt to me at his shipping cost? Or I give his money back after I receive the shirt? And then he buys a new larger shirt.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

No, it's not my fault. He just bought a shirt and after receiving it saw that it is too small. I have no objection in exchanging it just don't know how to go about it. I don't want to end up paying for shipping. But if he says it doesn't fit, eBay may think it's my fault, that I shipped the wrong size, and force me to pay shipping charges for the returned shirt.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Tell him that you ran out of his size because if you do the exchange, you get stuck paying the shipping. Accept the return on his dime , refund and block.  Don't list the shirt size that he needs for a few weeks.  List something else.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Make sure item is returned before doing anything including a refund. Do a return label for item returned which you pay. And have buyer purchase correct item which they pay for the shipping.

You don't do returns but you have to do returns whether you do or not on eBay. I would change that you don't do returns to where you do returns but buyer pays for return shipping.

Buyers will sometimes not hit the correct button such as "doesn't fit" or whatever. You expect the buyer to hit the correct return "button"...but doesn't always happen.

When a seller does clothing for sale you can expect returns...it's like clothing on approval stuff. Just like a Macy's Store where buyer returns something because it doesn't fit. And then there's that buyer who wears that one purchase for a special occasion and returns it the next day.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@kauvil-us wrote:

So what is the procedure? Buyer opens a return case because it doesn't fit. He gets his money back before I receive the shirt back? Is he suppose to return the shirt to me at his shipping cost? Or I give his money back after I receive the shirt? And then he buys a new larger shirt.

Buyer opens return with the reason "doesn't fit". Buyer has to ship item back. Once item is returned you refund him.

At any point in time buyer can place a new order for the size they want. They don't have to wait on the return of the other shirt. It's the same as a regular return and new order as with any retailer @kauvil-us. No exchange, just a return and a separate new purchase.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@kauvil-us wrote:

I think you need to read this, first, and acquaint yourself with the overall returns process. 

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Wow what a scummy thing to do, blocking the buyer. Its not the sellers fault or the buyer's fault, yet you're making it like the guy ordered the wrong size on purpose just so he could go through the pita of returning/exchanging for a larger size. Mistakes happen. I stumbled on this thread because I ordered a jacket in the wrong size. I even did my research and contacted the manufacturer, gave them my measurements and they recommended the size. I didn't order from the manufacturer because they charged more then the ebay seller. Turns out the size they recommended is too small and now I have to exchange the jacket for a bigger size. It's not my fualt that I got the wrong size and it's not the ebay sellers fault either.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@brandobyrne-0 

This is a 1 year old thread and the person you referring to doesn't post here any more, so I doubt they'll reply. 

If you should have a problem or issue here, it's always a good idea to start your own thread.  Lot of knowledgeable and helpful people here who can give you the help you need should you need it.

Have a great weekend!

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply