cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I please bang my head on the desk?

I just took what's left of my sanity in my hands and relisted a returned bakelite necklace whose color is opaque cherry amber.  I did not use the word amber in the title or description.  The first word in the title is Bakelite.   The fact that it tests positive for bakelite is in the description.  And yet... I just got a message asking questions as though it was an amber necklace.  Sent a message back starting with "THIS IS NOT AMBER.  It is catalin/bakelite."  The response indicated the sender did indeed think this plastic necklace was amber, even though it is titled bakelite, listed in the bakelite category and is in the description as tested bakelite.

Honestly, if people can't even bother to read an auction title, we're doomed.  

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 1 of 55
latest reply
54 REPLIES 54

Re: Can I please bang my head on the desk?

@jonathankirkland wrote:

I see you are TRS, any reason you do not offer 'free returns'?

I ask this because as you can see, any thief/dishonest buyer can force a return no matter what.

However if you offer free returns and TRS you have some protections from ebay.

You don't have to offer free returns to have the additional protections offered to top rated sellers.  It just requires at least a 30 day return policy. 

Message 31 of 55
latest reply

@johnrj1226 wrote:

@downunder-61 

Was it your basement window?

No, my second story window (but I live in a house, so it fell into my own backyard) and man it felt good!!! Mind you it was really old and I needed a new one

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 32 of 55
latest reply

Those people should just be ignored since they are either too dumb and will never get it, so they should be blocked

or

they just want to irritate you (us) or they are so needy for attention and should be ignored and blocked

or 

who knows? maybe just having a space out moment

I have had several instances where I am asked the measurements and I point out they in the item specifics section, since then, I've added measurements into my description box to lessen those who don't bother to read item specifics or maybe can't see them on mobile devices

Just expect these types of people will never go away

Message 33 of 55
latest reply

It is a strange way to be though. 

I mean when I buy on line, eBay or not, I am basically buying sight unseen, so I read every little thing I can.

Not just so I know it is correctly listed yada yada, but because I want to know what I am getting.

It would be like walking into a B&M store and grabbing something off the shelf with my eyes closed. The mind boggles!

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 34 of 55
latest reply

Sometimes what we think is clear is really anything but clear, and I'll leave out my thoughts as to the IQ level of some people.

I once listed an early 20th century dental school model of teeth.  They were mounted on a wooden base with a metal plate naming the school, teeth model number, maker, etc.

The winner of the auction gave me a negative.  Why you may ask?  Because I failed to travel from Illinois to Wyoming to fit the teeth to his mouth.  

I have no idea where he thought the polished oak base and the metal hinge were going to go in his mouth.  

His negative included the notation that I must have known the model would not fit his mouth.  I had to agree with that statement.  

Message 35 of 55
latest reply

@evelyb30 wrote:

I just took what's left of my sanity in my hands and relisted a returned bakelite necklace whose color is opaque cherry amber.  I did not use the word amber in the title or description.  The first word in the title is Bakelite.   The fact that it tests positive for bakelite is in the description.  And yet... I just got a message asking questions as though it was an amber necklace.  Sent a message back starting with "THIS IS NOT AMBER.  It is catalin/bakelite."  The response indicated the sender did indeed think this plastic necklace was amber, even though it is titled bakelite, listed in the bakelite category and is in the description as tested bakelite.

Honestly, if people can't even bother to read an auction title, we're doomed.  

But you should be glad the buyer messaged you about it so that you could let them know the item wasn't amber. Otherwise, the buyer could have bought it, and then filed a snad later when they discovered the item was plastic and not amber...This has already happened before hasn't it with the same necklace?

Sellers shouldn't get angry when they get a question off a buyer, they should just be glad they got the question, especially when the buyer thinks the item is something else, and the seller get's a chance to put them straight before a purchase is made.

Message 36 of 55
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

Way back around a dozen years ago, I received a neutral from a buyer who thought she was buying candles.

The photo was of wax melts, the description said wax melts, and the title said wax melts.

Some folks you just can't help.

Similar situation on a neutral, about the same time ago. Feedback says "My 9 YO son thought he was buying the actual Legos not just the Instruction"

A) Auction clearly stated "INSTRUCTIONS ONLY"

B) The set would have cost 20x what they paid

C) WTH is a 9 year old doing buying on eBay?

Some people, including the OP's buyer, should not be on eBay. They shouldn't even be allowed to handle money for that matter.

he/him/guy/dude...you get the picture
Message 37 of 55
latest reply

@shevey55 wrote:

I have a title for a lot of girls shorts "size 4, 4-5". A buyer writes "are they all size 5T?

That's confusing tbh

he/him/guy/dude...you get the picture
Message 38 of 55
latest reply

@releasethekraken_1 wrote:

@evelyb30 wrote:

I just took what's left of my sanity in my hands and relisted a returned bakelite necklace whose color is opaque cherry amber.  I did not use the word amber in the title or description.  

Really? Do you have two cherry-colored bakelite necklaces? Here's what I found in the one you have listed now:

"They're an opaque cherry amber color"

And as someone pointed out, the title of your sold listing says "amber".

So when someone does a search for "amber", your listing shows up.

Seems self-inflicted to me.

I wonder what happens if you create a listing for something that was personalized by someone named Amber. Throw the bots for a tizzy? Same goes for anyone named Ivory. Would definitely make selling Ebony and Ivory(McCartney/Jackson) a major conundrum!!  🙂

-Lotz

Message 39 of 55
latest reply

The word Amber appears nowhere in my current listing, and the title starts with the word Bakelite.  The line "red cherry amber opaque bakelite" is the exact and correct collector name for the beads, but stupid illiterates think this refers to amber.  

Should have known better, since stupid illiterates make up the majority population. 

Message 40 of 55
latest reply

One of the crazy-making things on eBay is that Ivory is listed as a color option for clothing, etc.  And yes folks have had listings removed for selling ivory sweaters.  Sometimes ya gotta wonder.  I generally list ivory-colored jewelry as cream color.  I stopped selling bone for the most part - eBay pulls cow bone items because you didn't specify the species of cow.  

Message 41 of 55
latest reply

I used to shove mine off my desk twice a week.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 42 of 55
latest reply

Way back around a dozen years ago, I received a neutral from a buyer who thought she was buying candles.

The photo was of wax melts, the description said wax melts, and the title said wax melts.

Some folks you just can't help.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

this is why companies have been forced to put WARNING labels on items. 

You can't fix stupid, but you can have a good laugh at it.

Message 43 of 55
latest reply

@duffy4444 wrote:

Sometimes I think I'm going to give myself whiplash when shaking my head at some of the dumbest buyer behavior. But then I have to stop shaking my head and deal with it professionally and courteously.

On one of my current listings, I have as the first text in BOLD, uppercase, large bright red font "Please read the listing details thoroughly before asking questions, but we're here to help"... More than half the time I get a totally unnecessary message with a question that could have been answered by the buyer simply by reading into the next paragraph.

I think this is one of the major factors in buyers filing so any INAD complaints. And no matter if the answer is right there to see in the description, the buyer still gets away with a refund and return hassle for the seller when all the buyer had to do was READ THE LISTING DESCRIPTION!

Case in point: About 20 years ago I sold an item that was honestly and very painstakingly described with photos, details, etc, and No Returns. The buyer claimed it was not as described, and demanded a refund, even though it was obvious in two or three places in my listing that he had not read the listing details. He kick and screamed and got Ebay involved. Now keep in mind this was 20 years ago. The Ebay CSR looked at his complaint, read the listing details and solved the case by telling the buyer, "If you had read the listing details and saw the photos, and didn't like the terms set forth, you should have not purchased the item in the first place". Case closed in my favor, and the buyer was one of first ten or fifteen on my BBL.

Compare that with the Ebay of today... oh, well... it still is a nice memory and story I enjoy relating.

Cheers, Duffy

You mean in the land where eBay time forgot? Where sellers listed in extreme detail/best of their ability and when the buyer hit agree to purchase it meant they were actually committing to buy? Kinda like a contract?  If this keeps up at the rate its going most sellers will NEED to be committed....To padded rooms!!😵🤕😳.  I'm working on mine between................orders!!

-Lotz

Message 44 of 55
latest reply

That’s certainly depressing. Sigh.

Message 45 of 55
latest reply