cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I please bang my head on the desk?

I just took what's left of my sanity in my hands and relisted a returned bakelite necklace whose color is opaque cherry amber.  I did not use the word amber in the title or description.  The first word in the title is Bakelite.   The fact that it tests positive for bakelite is in the description.  And yet... I just got a message asking questions as though it was an amber necklace.  Sent a message back starting with "THIS IS NOT AMBER.  It is catalin/bakelite."  The response indicated the sender did indeed think this plastic necklace was amber, even though it is titled bakelite, listed in the bakelite category and is in the description as tested bakelite.

Honestly, if people can't even bother to read an auction title, we're doomed.  

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 1 of 55
latest reply
54 REPLIES 54

Re: Can I please bang my head on the desk?

@evelyb30 wrote:

Honestly, if people can't even bother to read an auction title, we're doomed.  

Buyers have been ignoring titles and descriptions for two decades. 

No doom encountered thus far. 

Message 16 of 55
latest reply

Block buyer and move on

Message 17 of 55
latest reply

@lepke1979 wrote:

1 - Just trying to sell a bakelite necklace.

2 - Amber necklace it is.

1 - No, I said bakelite.

2 - Amber?

1 - Bakkkke-liiiiite

2 - Ammm-berrr?

1 - B...A...

2 - A...M...?

Hope that isn't a form of AI?   Reminds me of that old joke.

The door is ajar!! The door is ajar!!.  The door is not a jar. It's a door. Pay attention!!  🙂  🙂 🙂

-Lotz

Message 18 of 55
latest reply

Why is it logical, or even kind, to insult grandmas?

Message 19 of 55
latest reply

Maybe the words "amber-colored" would have helped in this instance.

Message 20 of 55
latest reply

Sometimes I think I'm going to give myself whiplash when shaking my head at some of the dumbest buyer behavior. But then I have to stop shaking my head and deal with it professionally and courteously.

On one of my current listings, I have as the first text in BOLD, uppercase, large bright red font "Please read the listing details thoroughly before asking questions, but we're here to help"... More than half the time I get a totally unnecessary message with a question that could have been answered by the buyer simply by reading into the next paragraph.

I think this is one of the major factors in buyers filing so any INAD complaints. And no matter if the answer is right there to see in the description, the buyer still gets away with a refund and return hassle for the seller when all the buyer had to do was READ THE LISTING DESCRIPTION!

Case in point: About 20 years ago I sold an item that was honestly and very painstakingly described with photos, details, etc, and No Returns. The buyer claimed it was not as described, and demanded a refund, even though it was obvious in two or three places in my listing that he had not read the listing details. He kick and screamed and got Ebay involved. Now keep in mind this was 20 years ago. The Ebay CSR looked at his complaint, read the listing details and solved the case by telling the buyer, "If you had read the listing details and saw the photos, and didn't like the terms set forth, you should have not purchased the item in the first place". Case closed in my favor, and the buyer was one of first ten or fifteen on my BBL.

Compare that with the Ebay of today... oh, well... it still is a nice memory and story I enjoy relating.

Cheers, Duffy

Message 21 of 55
latest reply

@evelyb30 wrote:

I did not use the word amber in the title or description.  The first word in the title is Bakelite. 

I assume it is this necklace as there are no other sold items showing. If it is, what you said is not correct and the title is confusing. Maybe buyers are not as dumb as you are thinking ?

Red Cherry Amber Opaque Bakelite

Message 22 of 55
latest reply

@evelyb30 wrote:

This is a necklace sent back SNAD because it was listed and described as bakelite, but the buyer thought she was getting real amber from a clueless seller.  Her jeweler confirmed that I'd listed it correctly in the first place so she sent it back for being correctly listed.  🙄

Programmers are right: just when you think you've idiot-proofed something, the Universe disgorges a new and improved idiot. 

I see you are TRS, any reason you do not offer 'free returns'?

I ask this because as you can see, any thief/dishonest buyer can force a return no matter what.

However if you offer free returns and TRS you have some protections from ebay.

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/service-and-payments/top-rated-program.html

TRS.png

Message 23 of 55
latest reply

Some of my listings have giant red letters saying I will not do X.  I still get emails from people asking me to do X.  I usually just give them a price about five times the listing price.   

Message 24 of 55
latest reply

I have a title for a lot of girls shorts "size 4, 4-5". A buyer writes "are they all size 5T?

Message 25 of 55
latest reply

@postingid7659 

Most would just hit the back button when they see a seller with negative connotations.

Message 26 of 55
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

Why is it logical, or even kind, to insult grandmas?

I know, like grandma-aged women are the stupidest people on earth or something.  At this stage of the game, our generation was building the internet.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 27 of 55
latest reply

" At this stage of the game, our generation was building the internet."

...and one 'grandma' was doing telemetry for NASA.

Message 28 of 55
latest reply

@downunder-61 

Was it your basement window?

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 29 of 55
latest reply

@evelyb30 wrote:

I just took what's left of my sanity in my hands and relisted a returned bakelite necklace whose color is opaque cherry amber.  I did not use the word amber in the title or description.  

Really? Do you have two cherry-colored bakelite necklaces? Here's what I found in the one you have listed now:

"They're an opaque cherry amber color"

And as someone pointed out, the title of your sold listing says "amber".

So when someone does a search for "amber", your listing shows up.

Seems self-inflicted to me.

Message 30 of 55
latest reply