cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Buyer Fraud Over International Boundaries Be Prosecuted?

Through a rather convoluted con process, a Buyer in Canada has stolen $530 from me. I am an honest seller, too trusting apparently. Yes, I anticipate some will call me naive. Ebay has thoroughly roablocked any remedies within their system. Through investigation aided by a couple of my law enforcement friends, I have amassed extensive negative background information on the individual responsible for the theft. He's all over social media and has public records which are, to say the least, are derogatory. I am thinking that reporting this as wire fraud or similar can direct his local police to contact him. This is early in the process, and I have many possible remedies to consider. All I really want here is if anyone has more experience in dealing with criminals on Ebay, how did you take them down? 

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Can Buyer Fraud Over International Boundaries Be Prosecuted?

Did you refuse to accept a return? Did the buyer file a charge back through their credit card issuer?

Message 43 of this discussion details who you should report the issue to.
Scammed out of $3,000 worth of Pokemon vintage packs (eBay not providing seller protection)
https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Scammed-out-of-3-000-worth-of-Pokemon-vintage-packs-eBay-not/m...

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

IMO the answer to your question in right there in your post.

"Law enforcement friends"   should have the experience of how to handle,   to or where to go 

for help and guidance.    

When I had a Canadian buyer claim non delivery on a $150.00 order,    After I refunded them (No DC)  

I told them that I was not satisfied being a victim of a theft.    I then told them that I was going '

to contact the RCMP  and file a theft report and that they would be contacted by RCMP,   suddenly my stamps got delivered and they paid me back.   

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

This sounds amazingly like the scenario I experienced. I have considered contacting RCMP as well. I wonder if it was the same buyer.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Buyers and sellers,   Both groups have people that will constantly try to game the system 

and make their trading partner into a victim.

Sometimes the best way to salvage a bad situation is to call their bluff or at least threaten to do so.   

It's hard to separate the crooks from the inept or the lazy.   They all look the same at first.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

How did the buyer scam you?

In case you didn’t see this, below is a link to eBay’s security center resources that has a portal for law enforcement. Good luck.

https://pages.ebay.com/securitycenter/law_enforcement.html

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Since you provided no details, I'm curious if an actual fraud occurred.

If they got the item and money due to lack of following eBays policy then they are entitled to it based on what you agreed to to sell here.

If they mailed you back a rock, that would be a fraud.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

I believe more details are in the OP's other thread referenced by onlinecentral

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Buyer manipulated me (my fault) into issuing a refund before I actually received the item back. Then went completely dark and will not return the item. Buyer is clearly a criminal. 

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

It really all depends on how much more you want this to cost you.

You are already out $530.

How much money do you want to be out in just in time spent pursuing this.

Are you going to go to Canada to testify in court? Would you even win if you got there?

Would they ever even pay the judgement if you got one?

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@comic_box wrote:

Buyer manipulated me (my fault) into issuing a refund before I actually received the item back. Then went completely dark and will not return the item. Buyer is clearly a criminal. 

You did this on your own.

You 'voluntarily' refunded someone.

Doesn't matter if they were your neighbor, much less from 'another country'. 

It is NOT criminal for a person to 'receive a refund'. 

In fact, this site allows you to 'do that' when an official 'return for refund' is started by a buyer.

Game Over.

Nothing you can do.

Being 'naive' on how systems work is nobody's fault but yours.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

They don't have to return the item.

EBay even issues you a warning not to refund unless the item is returned if you want it back.

The money was sent voluntarily.

Now, I know bad buyers are out there, but it's better probably not to pursue any legal action over this as it would most likely cause you loss of more money for something that would be extremely difficult to win.

So use this as a learning experience.

If you want your item back do NOT refund.

GL

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

There was no fraud, you refunded the buyer before the item was returned.

Have a great day
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@onlinecentral wrote:

Did you refuse to accept a return? Did the buyer file a charge back through their credit card issuer?

Message 43 of this discussion details who you should report the issue to.
Scammed out of $3,000 worth of Pokemon vintage packs (eBay not providing seller protection)
https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Scammed-out-of-3-000-worth-of-Pokemon-vintage-packs-eBay-not/m...

No, they refunded the buyer before the comic was returned.

Have a great day
Message 14 of 15
latest reply

BINGO! OP loses.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply