cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer trying to return item with no return policy after 28 days.

Hello community 

So long story short, a buyer bought a laptop with no return policy. The second  I email him to check in and learn if the item was received intact. He’s answer was positive and the item was in good working order. After 26 days , he opens a return and states that the item today became faulty and he wants a refund. I try to explain to him that the eBay guarantee is if you received it faulty, different than the listing, and if  he didn’t receive it at all, but he accuses me that I don’t honor the eBays policy. I talked with customer service and here is the crazy part. eBay encourages  me to accept the return and refund the buyer so the buyer can have great buying experience. Excuse me, they violating their own policies?

Message 1 of 48
latest reply
47 REPLIES 47

Re: Buyer trying to return item with no return policy after 28 days.

Lesson to ALL...Stop selling Tech on eBay

Message 31 of 48
latest reply

Doesn't matter what they originally said. They basically have 30 days with eBay and 6 months with PayPal to find an issue and return item.

Message 32 of 48
latest reply

I get it. My advice was offered with efforts to preserve your selling account and finances as much as possible, but those things may not be as important to you as finding a venue that has policies you can live with. Good luck, man - I hope it works out for you.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 33 of 48
latest reply

so he has the item for 28days; the second day he sends me an email that works perfect and after 28 days he is qualifying for return?

Sometimes it takes that long to find out that it is broken.

That's how ebay works.

Message 34 of 48
latest reply

I don't know for real anymore. I am gonna just wait and take this risk because if unfair all this. 

You'd have better odds attacking a bulldozer with your bare hands because it was being unfair.

Message 35 of 48
latest reply

This is a tragedy? The Coronavirus is a tragedy, cancer is a tragedy,a returned laptop is not a tragedy.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 36 of 48
latest reply

OP, the issue is that about two years ago eBay made a decision to no longer involve themselves in judging INAD disputes. The current policy is that in *all* cases once the buyer chooses INAD as the reason the seller is expected the accept the return, issue a return label and refund upon receipt. No exceptions, even in cases where the buyer openly admits in messages that they are abusing the system.  I wish it were different, but what the c-s agent is telling you is current policy. If you choose to not accept the return, it's guaranteed eBay will do it for you, refund the buyer and likely not even require a return of the item. Unfortunately,  you need to accept the return asap, because the timeline to avoid eBay stepping in is now much shorter.  

Message 37 of 48
latest reply

So what you telling me now? They gonna give him the favor and he is gonna keep the item too? So the eBay is a pimp not a market platform.
Message 38 of 48
latest reply

@alor_tech wrote:
I am gonna drag it to the end, because I don't like scams. If the eBay give him the return; I am gonna just stop selling here.

If the buyer filed an INAD, you have 3 days to accept the return.

If you don't, the buyer can ask Ebay to step in on the 4th day and they could refund the buyer from your Pay Pal account and let them keep the item.

Plus, Pay Pal give the buyer 180 days to file a claim.

Have a great day
Message 39 of 48
latest reply

@alor_tech wrote:
So what you telling me now? They gonna give him the favor and he is gonna keep the item too?

Yes, they can if you don't accept the return and the buyer has to ask Ebay to step in.

Have a great day
Message 40 of 48
latest reply

So eBay step doesn’t follow their policy!If I got the laptop and is damaged or missing parts then what?

This is ridiculous. eBay says report a buyer if he got an item use it or damaged it and trying to return it. So that’s not the case huh?

Message 41 of 48
latest reply

@alor_tech wrote:

So eBay step doesn’t follow their policy!If I got the laptop and is damaged or missing parts then what?

This is ridiculous. eBay says report a buyer if he got an item use it or damaged it and trying to return it. So that’s not the case huh?

They could send you back a box of dog poop and they would still get a full refund.

If the item isn't returned in the same condition as you shipped it, you can report the buyer, but it won't do much good for you, but might help another seller later.

Ebay never sees the item you ship or the item that is returned, so they don't know who is telling the truth and they almost always take the buyer side.

Have a great day
Message 42 of 48
latest reply

OP, yes it's just as Ken explained. Nobody here likes the policy and it does allow dishonest people to abuse it. There's just not a thing any of us sellers can do about it other than try to help folks avoid the worst of all situations, having eBay issue a refund and letting the buyer keep the item. With the current policy any seller asking eBay to step in is a guaranteed loss for an INAD return dispute.  The option for a seller to ask eBay to step in for INAD cases like yours shouldn't even be there, because it's not a real option - you'll lose 100% of the time. 

Message 43 of 48
latest reply

so he has the item for 28days; the second day he sends me an email that works perfect and after 28 days he is qualifying for return?

It's a 30 day guarantee.

The guarantee is that the item will work for 30 days.

After 28 days the item stopped working.

The item did not work for the full 30 days of the guarantee.

Send the return label and refund on receipt.

Message 44 of 48
latest reply

OP--

Hopefully you did not include the actual  buyer's personal

contact information  (Post 14) on this very public forum?

In the future, you might wish to delete any private identifying material...

Message 45 of 48
latest reply