cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer skirted block, left malicious swearing feedback, ebay refused to remove.

This is a posting account to protect our privacy for obvious reasons including retaliation. We just got negative feedback from a 2nd acct, same address, the blocked acct asked me to unblock them twice, then used 2nd acct which only has 1 other feedback in 5 years that is a seller calling them a scammer.

We’ve sold 42k items here and our acct is 20 years old.

We blocked a buyer months ago when I told the buyer no politely, he insulted me and became very irrational.  They asked us if we would sell our item for the same price that someone elses auction that hadnt ended yet, would end at.  We dont do auctions. That makes zero sense for us. The buyer gets second chance without bidding and ours were in nicer new condition to. Basically he wanted a nicer one for the price of lesser one and expected to say yes.  This happened to be less than 50% of  what we sold them for recently.

We were told by ebay that when someone evades a block, to block that acct and that we could cancel using "problem w buyers address".  We did this. Everything was obvious, the address was the same, the feedback on that acct comment was calling them a scammer and it was a 5 year old acct with no other transactions. It sure looks like it was used to evade blocks.  

When I told the “buyer” no, politely I might add. He started calling me greedy and said “I didn’t think so. It’s all about money to you.” Immediately attacking my character. That person already has an issue with us. We are a business, most are about money, erm eBay. Were nota charity and were not selling anything anyone needs. No rent, no food, no bad insurance. Were selling essentially luxury nostalgia leisure goods.

This person was a problem in the past and I didn’t block them. They say very irrational things. When they leave negatives they scorched earth the seller with “LIAR” etc

When a buyer already has problems, I would rather block them and move on. It’s pretty much the only tool that has offered a tiny level of protection. Fast forward, He starts messaging me saying sell him the parts and I can block him after. Again not very rational behavior. He asks twice, I consider removing the items for sale but, that’s not fair to us and also you think eBay would protect us if he clearly goes around the block. We work everyday, all day. 7 days a week. That’s no exaggeration. We haven’t taken a vacation in 4 years of any sort because everything is getting worse and it’s obvious we will stop doing this at some point. Whether it’s the economy or the stress.

So they buy using another acct. Same address we’ve sold to before. This acct has one feedback, yet is 5 years old and the feedback is calling this buyer account a scammer. The feedback says on this 2nd acct says the guy "tried to leave negative feedback” meaning ebay removed it but allowed the act that seems to have only existed to go around blocks as it hasnt been not used again. SO this buyer was already reported in order to have that acct active.  There is a report and you wonder what happens when you report an acct. Nothing!

I canceled the listing choosing “problem with buyers address” which is the closest and what eBay told us to choose in the past. Last night as were going to sleep. We get a malicious feedback that calls us “GREEDY”, “complete **bleep**” “Horrible seller”. They fail to mention that they were blocked and even if we considered going through with the sale, the one feedback is calling them a scammer. We're tired, were trying to avoid getting scammed because its always like pulling teeth to get eBay to protect you. We’ve done over 40k(items)  with an average above $100 per item and the buyer skirting block, swearing- everyone knows what **bleep** means, straight up libel.

Because we take our business seriously and have glowing feedback I don’t sleep well. Im now into 2 hours of multiple calls to eBay, using the report last night and its kicks back telling me we can’t remove the feedback. I spoke to 2 cs people who one declines and the supervisor who says he put in for it to be looked at removal by Wednesday. Its Friday. We’ve had obvious stuff removed in the past and generally don’t call eBay anymore no matter how bad stuff gets because we just end up with anxiety and angry because they don’t protect us and they gaslight us, same thing that usually happens here aside from that one time an ebay rep removed someones name from our blocked list a the buyers request.  I reported it here, was told no that didnt happen. Search our comments, one of the ebay reps cam on and said it did and it shouldnt have happened. We dont lie. It’s gotten progressively worse. We sell enough that we used to have a rep, phone number to call and now we spend 10 minutes going through chatbot to be connected to people who agree but won’t/can’t do anything.

So now this buyer is emboldened by the fact that they can make malicious libelous statements and abuse sellers with impunity and ebay is allowing this obvious abuse.

It’s the worst most malicious feedback we’ve received in 40k+ transactions. A slam dunk for removal prior, blocked buyer, swearing(even if abbreviated), Abusive calling us greedy and saying they did nothing, the blocked buyer also proved that they were blocked by asking repeatedly to be unblocked. It’s like being put in front for bullet and told don’t move. Obviously not as bad but, the direction of the metaphor . It’s saying you can’t protect yourself if a buyer gives you every reason to block them and is so obvious that eBay now says maybe it will be removed in a week. This effects our business now. False libelous statements as well.

I’ll post our acc if I must so people can see how bad it is and how bad it looks. It’s always been like the horrible policy "broken windows phenomenon".  We got a negative in the past from a horrible buyer and another followed. It emboldens malicious people.  We giove great service and products but, were not a discounter so people get mad that they have top pay money for a rare out of production new item. We pay a lot for our items.

We can spend our energy making a great store and taking care of customers or fighting to be protected in obvious cases. The buyer is emboldened to do this to people if eBay takes no action for obvious malicious intent. We decided to cancel the sale vs possibly being scammed by an irrational buyer where we have negative feedback and some scam saying the part was broken or some such thing.

Ebay is not protecting sellers even though they tell you thanks for having act for 20 years when you call.

Im going to make a YouTube video and some other posts about this. This ruined my morning and evening. Were not asking you to fix the international shipping that won’t allow buyers to combine which has lost us multiple sales or spend hours explaining that we can’t combine any orders without canceling and making new listings which buyers say isn’t worth the time. Theyr'e international so try explaining something that you’ve always done for years that you no longer can do with language barrier.

Were asking them to remove feedback on a pretty spotless loyal acct from a malicious buyer who swears and insults in messages and feedback.

This makes me want to close our store as everything looks like a potential problem when not even the most basic and obviously necessary protections are available . We’ve paid $4,072.92 in fees just to eBay this month. And we can’t get a basic obvious protection or assurance that there are any in place.

Look at the banner at the top when you post, Ebay tells you this is a public forum not to post personal information. Were an actual business so if I post on our actual selling account, our personal info is connected, all of it, hence the posting acct.

Message 1 of 60
latest reply
59 REPLIES 59

Re: Buyer skirted block, left malicious swearing feedback, ebay refused to remove.

I wouldn't try any longer with phone in reps, but you might try contacting them on facebook.   I did once and they were quite helpful with my situation.  They took the time to actually look into what was going on.   good luck 

With your numbers, I doubt this will hurt you, but I understand it's hard to just let it stand.

Message 2 of 60
latest reply

Re: Buyer skirted block, left malicious swearing feedback, ebay refused to remove.

I would contact ebay with a private message to their "ebay for business" facebook page as it sounds like you have a legit reason for removal.

I would keep it simple "Blocked buyer purchased maliciously with another account, left offensive language in feedback. Please remove."

Have a nice weekend.

Message 3 of 60
latest reply

I'm confused how the buyer was getting so many messages through to you since you said you blocked them. eBay implemented changes last year (changes many of us hate) so any ID on your blocked buyer list is unable to get a message through to you.

I'll echo the advice to contact one of eBay's social CS teams. If you don't have an account it's easy to create one for the sole purpose of contacting eBay CS. Send a DM to one of eBay's social CS teams: ebayforbusiness on facebook, ebayforsellers on insta, askebay on X

You did the right thing cancelling as problem with address:

bbl-cancel.png

When you report a buyer there is no specific reporting selection for buyers circumventing blocks. I usually select a reason that ties to why I blocked them in the first place, even if it's not an exact match, or go with 'demanding something not included in the listing' since that's most closely related to buyer demanding to make a purchase when their ID is blocked. There are real people reading these reports so it's fine if the reason code is a bit off. Once you drill down and select a reason the comment box will appear where you can explain why you're reporting them.

I put ID [id # 1] on blocked list, buyer attempting to circumvent block with new ID [id #2]. Did not find a specific circumventing a block selection under the report flow so I selected the option that most closely fit the situation.

Message 4 of 60
latest reply

I'm curious; did the "second" buyer purchase the same item that the "first" one was trying to haggle for?  And did they pay the full BIN price without haggling?  

Also, I don't understand how you knew the address of the "first" account if you didn't sell them the item then. 

Message 5 of 60
latest reply

I spoke to 2 cs people who one declines and the supervisor who says he put in for it to be looked at removal by Wednesday. Its Friday.

The phone reps are not on the eBay payroll.

They are poorly trained subcontractors with no authority.

The phone reps have a terrible reputation for getting you off the phone as soon as possible even if that means giving you the advice you want to hear instead of the advice you need to have.

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/ — Message button in upper right on landing page.

https://www.instagram.com/ebayforsellers/

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851 -> Automated Assistant, type AGENT -> enter. You will then get more options.

The social media Chat accounts are covered by trained eBay employees with some authority.
And you get a transcript so you can compare what you heard with what you were told.

With private Feedback, you cannot sell.

Personally, I would make it public. swearing and all.

That reflects more on the buyer than on you.

And don't add a Response.

Let them look like drooling spitting anger monkeys.

Message 6 of 60
latest reply

BTW if you use Best Offer, you can also put parameters on your BO to automatically reject offers that are too low and automatically accept offers that are acceptable.

Those can be a penny apart or several percentage points depending on whether you like haggling.

And of course, if you get an offer, either through Best Offer or out of the blue, you can accept, decline or ignore.

Message 7 of 60
latest reply

I'll have to guess because I'm not reading all that.
IMO:
If got a negative....
I could have listed enough additional items to make a few hundred dollars AND bury that negative in the time it took me to type that.

Message 8 of 60
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

With private Feedback, you cannot sell.

Personally, I would make it public. swearing and all.

That reflects more on the buyer than on you.

And don't add a Response.

Let them look like drooling spitting anger monkeys.=

@reallynicestamps 

If I'm understanding correctly, the OP states that the post here is a PID used to protect his selling account from further retaliation. This isn't the account that got negged.

@soccerteeth 

Not sure if it's a coincidence or not but I had a similar experience in which a blocked bidder used a second account to BIN an item. I immediately blocked the newer ID.

Foreseeing a potential feedback or NAD issue, I reported the buyer BEFORE shipping the item just to get it on record that the buyer had circumvented my block. Whether ebay acted on the report or not, I don't know but the buyer never left feedback and never filed any claim on the item.

In my case, it wasn't necessary to go to Facebook but I've done it in the past and was happy with the outcome.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 9 of 60
latest reply

exactly!

Too much and the O.P. is hiding their issue on another I.D. so we cannot see what the buyer actually left in feedback. 

Kind of funny! The O.P. and the buyer operating under multiple I.D.'s

Message 10 of 60
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

BTW if you use Best Offer, you can also put parameters on your BO to automatically reject offers that are too low and automatically accept offers that are acceptable.

Those can be a penny apart or several percentage points depending on whether you like haggling.

And of course, if you get an offer, either through Best Offer or out of the blue, you can accept, decline or ignore.

I use that, in fact I just go ahead and make the minimum offer amount and the auto-accept amount the exact same.  The way I see it, if I'm willing to consider an amount as low as $X, I might as well set it to auto-accept that amount, and save myself the time of having to answer the notification by manually replying 'accept.'   I know some sellers prefer getting a chance to look at a buyer's profile to help decide whether or not to accept.  I get the allure of that, but I already pre-dodge most bullets by having free returns, TRS, and my auto-block set for non-payers. 

Besides, from my experiences and reading posts here, I would assert that the truest formula for a problematic buyer is one who takes offer refusals personally, and then sees the seller as an enemy to defeat, one way or another.   When I picture myself in the shoes of such a hotheaded type, I picture typing in an offer and hitting 'send' ..... then waiting a while, maybe hours, only to get a 'declined' response from the seller, and feeling the rage start to build. What was wrong with my offer?  Too little for a greedy seller?  Did they look at my feedback left for other greedy sellers THAT THEY DESERVED? (etc.)  But if I hit 'send' and immediately get a 'declined' notification, then I know the response was automated, nothing personal.  So this to me is another compelling reason to have 'minimum' and 'auto-accept' amounts be the same.  Oh, and I don't enable counter-offers for my seller-initiated offers either, just more invitation to bitter feelings.  

All that said, we don't know whether or not the OP uses any automation for offers, in fact we don't know if they even enable Make Offer on their listings.  One way or another it became an email conversation, which is another potential rage trigger, and that's why I simply never reply to any emails about my item prices.  

Message 11 of 60
latest reply

As much of a windbag as I can be, and as much as I enjoy a good long read (if it's actually good), I'm definitely not a fan of reading that^ much and still being left with considerable confusion about the facts.  Now watch this be another "I've been here 20 years and I'm angry, that's it, bye!" with no replies to questions. 

Message 12 of 60
latest reply

Ebay has a toggle for whether you want to allow messages from blocked buyers. Sometimes a person needs blocked but you still communicate if you dont want them to buy other items until something is sorted out. 

We have this off so blocked buyers can communicate. We had a problem with this not working correctly in the past

Message 13 of 60
latest reply

There was no haggling, there was no best offer option.  

1st buyer is someone we sold to a while back, they were a problem. We blocked them when they started being weird and rude a few months ago becasue I got like 20 messages from them the last time we sold to them. The person who wants special stuff after the sale and has lots of issues with everything. So we have their address.   This time they started asking me to unblock them to buy said item,( you can get messages from blocked buyers).   I ignored them because theyre that rude and irrational and I dont need this kind negative weirdness.  Second acct, same address. They then asked me when i was going to ship the item. I said im not, I blocked you.  They said Im his wife, this has nothing to do with him. Its my acct.    If youre buying for a blocked person, youre skirting a block and maliciously. 

They couldnt even just not message us, Weve sold 42,000 items and almost no one messages to ask when something we ship.  Also after I canceled it, someone else  messaged asking if the item was still available. Another thing that maybe happened 5 times in 15 years. They had the first accounts feedback, so they asked someone else then to buy them.  Pretty much harassment. 

Ebay never made this an offiical policy.  We had what ebay told us to do in this case. Which is sell, which we did once and go figure iof the blocked persons 2nd acct didnt open a return for item not as described. An item that the factory had the measurement etched into it, saying it wasnt the right measurement.  A certain kind of dishonest person that acts like this.  So lesson learned. Cancel the next one but, now even worse. So ebay gives us no way to protect ourselves.   Its literall insanity to give no option, no protection to anyone let alone someone with millions in sales and an almost spotless rep.

Its the definition of insanity hurting others or allowing others to be hurt, when there is no upside for you. As a buyer, The least we buy in ebay is 25k a year. Thats our small years, weve done well over 100k in purchases and half a million in sales in a year

Message 14 of 60
latest reply

As far as private feedback , this is not the account.  i mentioned in the post at the top and bottom becasue Ive gotten that before. Ebay says at the top, dont share perosnal info.  Well our ebay name is our business name, google us, we come up. Gross scrapers have plastered our info all over the internet, home address, phone number.  Our major acct has open feedback , we do about 300 sales a month. Weve been consistent for 15 years and have over 40k item sales in the several millions.

I went to school for psychology and economics. decades ago.  I understand watching narcissists be malignant but, there is no way it looks good to just let this sit . We have repeat buyers for 1more than a decade but, also many new and unique buyers. I dont know how many look at feedback but, i dont do learned helplessness or gaslighting which is the typical response. Its an injustice. its libel because its to hurt our business and its untrue. They left out the part where they were using a2nd acct. They said they did nothing. Now its harassment and libel. 

"its a competivie little niche and In not a pushover.  This makes ebay look horrendous.

Message 15 of 60
latest reply