cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay is a scam

If you sell an item, the ad fee is deducted from your available funds immediately. If the fee is $5 and you're at $0.00 you now have -$5.00 in available funds. The following day an item waiting for delivery confirmation is delivered and you have $10 in made available when it reaches you, you now have $5.00 in available funds. Meaning those funds paid your $5.00 ad fee for the item eBay still has on hold. Why is it that the total from the buyer(order earnings) reflects the same $5.00 ad fee coming away from the buyers money. So you paid with available funds immediately, plus the buyers money shows the same charge, how are you not paying the $5.00 ad fee twice? Because we know eBay doesn't use held funds for ad fees, they take it from AVAILABLE funds instantly. Also, if you have a payout on 1-12-24 and today is the 20th, and in that week you have $200 in funds made available either with feedback, delivery confirmation, or waiting 30 days, how can I have a $0.00 balance in my account? Where is it? Why can't I tell what is included in my payouts? Why does eBay say my payout happened 5 days later than my bank statement so it can justify paying me the missing money I never got. Keep in mind, I don't get paid until delivery and eBay surely doesn't give it early so how or why would they secretly release money, a week early, that I didn't spend? It's a scam. The answer from the despicable agents is "I only see blah blah blah" because they know the system doesn't show what goes on in the available funds. Basically they know you're being cheated but it's not noted so what are we gonna do about it? So underhanded. Anyway, help please. Been on the phone for 24 hours since Thursday.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

eBay is a scam

You need to read the ebay policy for new sellers on ebay. All the fee charges are shown in detail for you. Before you list an item you can figure to the cent how much it will cost to sell that item on ebay. To complain after the fact because you did not read the policy for selling is no ones fault but your own.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

eBay is a scam

If you had no funds available then you would have a negative balance when you are charged the $5 ad fee. When your funds come available $10.00 then you would have $5.00 in available funds because the other $5 covered the fee you didn't have funds to cover.

Its simple math. 
-$5.00

+$10.00

= $5.00

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

eBay is a scam

It's a learning experience. Not even I knew it until it happened. I know everyone here saids to read this and that but there's so much to read up on. 

"Promoted" fees items as well as "refunds" are taken out of "available funds" immediately. Just have to keep selling items for it to return to the positive. I am currently in the negative for the second day today.

I think I was in the negative for a week last month. Just seems like a lot of promoted items are selling lately.

Being in the negative doesn't hurt you in any way as long as you have funds coming in from sales.

Its a learning experience and I have been there as well.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

eBay is a scam

marwoote, I have a few suggestions; these are for your consideration.

1-Break long posts down into more readable paragraphs.

2-Refrain from addressing associates, as in e-Bay, a scammer. This is especially advisable in situations where the problem is your lack of understanding the conditions of the relationship.

3-If the requirements of e-commerse and/or e-Bay are unacceptable to you, investigate a different type of marketplace.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

eBay is a scam

Start here.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

eBay is a scam

how are you not paying the $5.00 ad fee twice

You are mistaken. You aren't paying the ad fee twice.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

eBay is a scam

They didn't say there would be story problems.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

eBay is a scam

@marwoote-247 wrote:

Why is it that the total from the buyer(order earnings) reflects the same $5.00 ad fee coming away from the buyers money. So you paid with available funds immediately, plus the buyers money shows the same charge, how are you not paying the $5.00 ad fee twice?

Your post is a bit difficult to follow, but it sounds like you're either:

- Confusing ad fees and final value fees, thinking you're being charged the same fee twice when you're not, or

- Misunderstanding the math and deductions.

You can view all financial transactions on this page and click the details link on the right for a breakdown of every fee. https://www.ebay.com/mes/transactionlist?sh=true

@marwoote-247 wrote:

Why can't I tell what is included in my payouts? Why does eBay say my payout happened 5 days later than my bank statement

Sounds like you are mixing up two different payouts. You can view details of any payout on this page - just click on the payout ID number for a breakdown.

https://www.ebay.com/sh/fin/payouts

I suggest reviewing your financials in details, and if the math isn't adding up, post screenshots or copy/paste the data so we can help you decipher it.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

eBay is a scam

Ad fees like regular fees are deducted from the buyers payment, it's only the balance remaining that is on hold either until the payment is processed or put on  hold if you are a new seller.

Instead of wasting time calling eBay use that time to read up on how fees are applied and collected.

Why can't I tell what is included in my payouts?

If you go to the Payments Tab of the Seller Hub, click on Payouts, click on the individual payouts and you get the full details of what was included. Same is true for the rest of your complaints, the information is all there.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

eBay is a scam

The most 'overlooked' process is the "payout".......

The 'payout' does not coincide with each individual transaction. It can be a combination of 1 sale, 2 sales, 3 sales, an ad fee, store, an adjustment, etc....

The link provided by @wastingtime101 will allow you to click the "payout ID" and see all the line items for that "payout"

https://www.ebay.com/sh/fin/payouts

If all new sellers would take 10 minutes and just start clicking all the "linked" items in these reports, they would have a much better understanding of how the accounting works within ebay. If it's "clickable" (hyperlinked) for the love of pete, CLICK IT and follow the money....ebay gives you way too many options to not understand where your hard earned cash is lurking.....

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

eBay is a scam

@monica-sells wrote:

If all new sellers would take 10 minutes and just start clicking all the "linked" items in these reports, they would have a much better understanding of how the accounting works within ebay. If it's "clickable" (hyperlinked) for the love of pete, CLICK IT and follow the money....ebay gives you way too many options to not understand where your hard earned cash is lurking.....

I concur.

New sellers that have difficulty understanding fees and payouts are better served by weekly payouts instead of daily payouts.

With daily payouts there is too much split with one transaction ending up on multiple payouts and the numbers being harder to track.

With weekly payouts it's easier to follow until the seller gets the hang of it.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

eBay is a scam

And since people are used to getting  a weekly paycheque (well, direct deposit,but...)  the weekly is a more comfortable number.

Some accounts charge to make a deposit. Not common, but commercial accounts often demand this.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

eBay is a scam

I got my account down to two items. One I was made an offer on and one that was being shipped and funds would be made available upon delivery. When I accepted the offer the ad fee immediately was deducted from available funds. Making them go into the negative. The ad fee is also deducted from the buyers money as this shows up on the final earnings page. My issue isn't the fee coming from the item twice, it's just that if I have a -$0.50 balance in available funds and the item in the process of shipping happens to get delivered and those funds(let's say it's a $10 item ) are made available, I now have an available balance of $9.50. To me, that's paying twice as the buyers money has already had it taken there also. It shows once officially because the available balance isn't kept up with. Not sure what's so hard to understand. It's only an issue if you have stuff on hold and stuff being delivered everyday. eBay could list the fee removed from the buyers money and give me the money minus the fee instead of the way they do it. No need for my available balance to pay at all. 

Message 14 of 14
latest reply