cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer is demanding that I contact USPS about an incorrect address that HE messed up.

A buyer is on my case today and blowing me up with messages about how I'm the one who needs to contact USPS about an incorrect address.

Mind you, the item in question was shipped on March 4th, and he is just now getting around to notifying me that he provided an incorrect address on eBay for the order. Apparently he left out his apartment number, but other than that the address is the same. I was initially very polite and helpful and suggested that "it's okay, these things happen" and "if the item gets returned to sender then I will ship it back out immediately." I ended my reply by suggesting that he contacts his local USPS immediately to see is he can get this resolved.

He didn't like my response and went off the rails after that with all of these demands that I need to make this right.

My question for the community is is it even possible for me to make his mistake "right"? Isn't it out of our hands after we drop it off at the post office, especially in this situation where the buyer provided an incorrect address? To make things even more complicated, he's in Canada and I'm in the states.

His next course of action is to "speak with eBay" about how I'm choosing to handle this. 

Also, this is the type of buyer that I'd rather not communicate with any longer. I was very polite and made practical suggestions on how he can try to get his package, so would it be okay to cease communication at this point? based on experience, there's no winning with this type of buyer and I feel like they get a rise out of taking their frustrations out on eBay sellers.

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Buyer is demanding that I contact USPS about an incorrect address that HE messed up.

Would the buyer consider contacting his USPS and explaining the error, describe the package and ask if it can be delivered to him at his address although it's minus the apartment #? 

Message 16 of 26
latest reply

Re: Buyer is demanding that I contact USPS about an incorrect address that HE messed up.

Offer the buyer the chance to repay for shipping themself if the item is returned to you. Do not respond anymore to this buyer.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 17 of 26
latest reply

@rubylionretro wrote:

That's great news and thank you for responding. Now, should I keep entertaining his messages or just mark them as read and keep it moving? Only reason I ask is because I'm typically a very responsive seller (as I'm sure we all are) and like to be as helpful and as fast as possible when replying to peoples messages. I'm just worried that if/when this order escalates that eBay *might* assume that I'm unhelpful if I choose to stop responding... and then things would definitely go in this buyers favor.

Yea I was also thinking of this possibility if you choose to ignore he buyer’s messages. The buyer could leave a negative saying “seller is unresponsive to my messages and doesn’t care.” If the buyer doesn’t file an INR for this, then that negative will totally not be removable.

To clarify, did the buyer admit to forgetting to include his unit #, or is he claiming that YOU forgot to include it? If it’s the prior, then reply something like “Hey man, all this never woulda happened had you given me the apt in the first place. So yea…”

You might wanna paraphrase what I said a bit more nicely as I was just going off the top of my head lol. Sometimes I sound helpful and at the end say “please ensure you include your apt number in your address settings to avoid this issue with future sellers. I’d hate for you to have to go thru this again.” That usually gets my point across and they back off a bit. Oh and make sure you say sorry a few times here and there. I had a buyer get mad at me because she said it seemed I wasn’t apologetic enough when she wrongfully assumed what her ETA was when I was explaining that her package didn’t actually arrive late, apparently it was just later than she wanted it. Some buyers need to know that you “get how they feel” and can feel their pain regardless of how delusional.

Message 18 of 26
latest reply

What does tracking say about the package? 

Message 19 of 26
latest reply

This is not correct>>>>" If the buyer doesn’t file an INR for this, then that negative will totally not be removable."

I've had quite a few negative and neutral feedbacks removed without the buyer ever opening a case by using 

Request to remove feedback tool in seller help. 
It's one of the few seller protections eBay gives sellers.

Message 20 of 26
latest reply

@rubylionretro  You could let the buyer know that sellers are only allowed to ship to the address on the sales record. To protect a user's account from scammers, Buyers are the only people who can change their account information. Just make sure you keep messaging on ebay so there is a record of your responses (and theirs). Keep checking on the tracking #. As a new buyer, they may just be inexperienced and are freaking out. Did you upload the tracking and/or purchase the label on ebay? It can take quite a while for some packages going to Canada.

Message 21 of 26
latest reply

Can I guess that the sale was the $350 pants?

Just let it ride. The package will be returned to you. You cannot really do anything at your end with USPS.

RED FLAG: buyer Canada and I'm in the states. They are a new buyer. 

If sold on the 4th, I would assume there was an attempt to deliver per USPS website. Is that correct?

It will not show anything more until the package reaches your local USPS office. It's a security thing for USPS. 

My final thought is the buyer is watching the tracking. They see it is at their local post office. They are trying to get you to refund and then they will run to the post office with their I.D., tell their story, and possibly snag the package. 

Let's all be real here! How hard is it to remember an apartment # address to a home address? 

Message 22 of 26
latest reply

I doubt that scenario could happen here. We have very few post offices, mostly retail postal outlets in drug stores, grocery stores etc.  A package that arrived in the city would go to a sorting center and then be delivered to the recipient. You can't pick up your package at the sorting center.   The package would go to a postal outlet or post office only if it couldn't be delivered, signature was required etc.  Once it was there, it would be considered delivered by eBay just like a package going to a PO Box is considered delivered in the US.

It's more likely that this buyer doesn't want to be accountable rather than trying to scam the seller.

Message 23 of 26
latest reply

No matter what happens, remember to add the buyer to your BBL.

Message 24 of 26
latest reply

Buyer supplied address, you shipped to that address. You are NOT in any way responsible for buyers mistake.

It is up to you to decide if you will reship if the item is returned to you because buyer supplied incorrect address.

If buyer opens an INR case, you can get it closed in your favor because buyer gave wrong address. If INR case is opened, call CS, and explain what happened. You have email documentation that shows buyer admitting he supplied wrong address.

If buyer leave negative feedback, you can probably get that removed.

I highly doubt that calling USPS will render any help in getting the item delivered. You can try?

Message 25 of 26
latest reply

I'm guessing that the package will be returned to you. That address error is on the buyer, not you. Since you are getting frustrated with the buyer stop communicating with them and just refund them when you receive the item back. You can see on the tracking if that is the case.  If they want it they can repurchase it ~ after they have fixed their mailing address. Of course you can block them too. That's totally up to you. Definitely stop messaging them tho. 

Good luck to you. 

Message 26 of 26
latest reply