cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer claims the item not as described

I had a customer message me after receiving the pants that they were not grey, but are khaki. However, in my listing, as well as description, I have that they are grey. I took 7 different angles of these pants and in every angle they are grey. However, in the picture she sent me it appears she has some yellow lighting, causing them to look a bit off color and she is stating I sent her the wrong pair (I do not have any other grey pants in my collection, so I sent the right ones). 

How do  I go about resolving this without them leaving me a negative review for them viewing something as a different color? 

**Buyer has not filed a claim, but reached out to me directly**

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

If they filed an INAD and you want them returned before refunding, accept the return and provide a shipping label.

A seller can not leave buyers negative feedback.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

They have not filed a claim, or tried to ask for a refund, they reached out to me directly with an image asking if I sent them the correct item, which I did. They just believe it is the wrong color, when it is not. 

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

@danisthriftedgems  message them to open a return item case and then supply a prepaid return shipping label.

don't get into a controversy about the color or anything else, you won't win.

keep it short and simple.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

I'm still newer so still learning things as I go- how do I provide them with a prepaid return shipping label?

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

@danisthriftedgems wrote:

I'm still newer so still learning things as I go- how do I provide them with a prepaid return shipping label?

once they open the return item case, you will receive, from eBay, the instructions and time frames to meet.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Thank you so much!

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Hello [Buyer],

Thank you for reaching out to me directly about the color issue with the pants. I understand your concern and appreciate the photo you sent. However, I want to assure you that the pants I sent are indeed the grey ones as described in the listing. The yellow lighting in your photo might be causing the color to appear differently.

I want to ensure your satisfaction, and I'm willing to work with you to find a solution. If you're still unhappy with the pants, I can offer a return or exchange option. Please let me know which option you prefer, and we can discuss the details.

Please note that I've taken multiple photos from different angles to showcase the accurate color, and I'm confident that the pants I sent match the listing description.

Looking forward to resolving this issue.

Best regards,

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

It seems you use No Returns, which means you do NOT have to accept the return IF the buyer choses a non-SNAD reason, such as 'didn't like' or 'changed mind'.   However, if your buyer chooses a SNAD reason, which I suspect they will based on what you wrote, you will be refunding one way or another, so may be best to accept the return.   As of right now though, with no case opened, you have a choice & you may have a choice depending on how she opens the case.   Also, keep in mind that feedback does not affect your seller rating, but Defects do & an unresolved SNAD would earn you a defect.  Also, keep in mind that the photos (yours & hers) don't really matter.  She does NOT have to prove anything for eBay to side with her.   I know it's not fair. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

To me sounds like a post sale shakedown. They are probably hoping you will say "Sorry about the color not being to your liking. Would you like to keep the pants if I give you a partial refund?"

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Do NOT insist they are gray............just be gracious and state how sorry you are that they are not pleased with the item.........to please start a return.    If you insist you are right, they will feel they have to insist they are right......and it will end in possibly bad feelings/feedback........  People can see colors differently....

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Same as always and as all the advice you have been given: "return for a refund". 

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@slyders_finds wrote:

To me sounds like a post sale shakedown. They are probably hoping you will say "Sorry about the color not being to your liking. Would you like to keep the pants if I give you a partial refund?"

Certainly possible.   OP could try sticking to her guns, I as a No Returns seller DO stick to my guns 99% of the time & they almost never open a case, but I am not a new seller & I know my demographic very well.   But with OP being new & having low FB, I suspect it may not work in her favor. 

The benefit to being No Returns is that you have the option to decline NON-SNAD Return Requests.   If the buyer didn't ask for anything, OP could respond in a friendly way, explaining that everyone & all monitors see color differently & the buyer what she would like to do?   You won't know unless you ask!  Could be she wants a partial, could be she was just informing you & wants to keep them, could be she wants a return.   You could ask & see what the response is. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

If the buyer says they are not as described, they are not as described.

I doesn't matter what you think, what your description says or what your pictures show.

Sorry, I know that's not what you want to hear, but that's the stance ebay will take.

I would accept the return and refund the customer if/when you get the item back.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Thank you everyone! This has really helped me as a new seller learn some different approaches to take. I appreciate all of you!

Message 15 of 15
latest reply