cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer bought item - didn't pay -

Buyer purchased an item but didn't pay. 2 days later I opened up a not paid case.

About an hour after I open the case the buyer claims they got hacked and asked me to cancel the purchase.

Shouldn't they cancel the order or their end so I don't get dinged? I asked them to so hope I did right. lol

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Buyer bought item - didn't pay -

Buyer wrote back stating she was unable to cancel on her end and that she would contact Ebay so looks like it's solved. We'll let Ebay close it out so that I can get back my seller fees.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

No need to get ebay involved.

And no buyer cannot canel it, you have to.

Cancel using buyer requested.

No penalty for it.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Buyers cannot cancel, only the seller can. You cannot cancel because of the unpaid item case. Let it play out. She needs to contact ebay about the hacked account.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

I don't think a seller can cancel the UPI case(if he wants his fees back).......either the buyer pays or it closes itself.  Ebay can/will cancel the buyer strike if they call........

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

I don't think a seller can cancel the UPI case(if he wants his fees back).......either the buyer pays or it closes itself.  Ebay can/will cancel the buyer strike if they call........

You can change a UPI to a cancelation, but I personally never recommend doing that.  The cancellation process is for one type of problem and the UPI is for a different type problem.  Non payment should be a UPI and I agree that the OP should just wait until they can close it for Non Payment.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

It isn't in your best interest to go and change the UPI to a cancellation.  Just let the UPI play out.  Exactly 96 hours after you opened the UPI, you can close it for non payment.  I suggest doing that as quickly as possible as it will protect your feedback too.

If the buyer is telling you the truth, they can get Ebay to remove the unpaid strike that will go onto their account after you close the UPI.  Ebay will do that for them if they ask.  But for you, continue with the UPI and make sure you put this buyer on your BBL.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

oops, I started a new thread because at the time I couldn't find this one.

Looks like buyer's acct was hacked into. Buyer reported it to Ebay.

I received an email from Ebay this morning:

Unauthorized use of buyer account – Transaction(s) cancelled, but the item is still showing in my sold items and there is still a charge for the FVFs. At what point do they release the item and credit me the FVFs? What does it mean the transaction is cancelled?

Thanks.

This is part of email also:

Please do not ship any items that were purchased by xxxxxxx and disregard any bids they may have placed on any of your listings. We’re working with the account owner to prevent any additional unauthorized activity.

If you already sent the item(s) and they haven’t been delivered yet, please contact your shipping carrier to find out if you can stop the shipment.

- We have credited all associated fees except for the final value fee for your listing(s).

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@sweetteagirl  eBay Policy is ONLY the Seller can cancel an order and if the Buyer requests it you cancel choosing Buyer requested and you will NOT get dinged.  I always message the Buyer back stating that at their request I will be more than happy to cancel it for them, then you are record verifying that they requested it.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@sweetteagirl  eBay Policy is ONLY the Seller can cancel an order and if the Buyer requests it you cancel choosing Buyer requested and you will NOT get dinged.  I always message the Buyer back stating that at their request I will be more than happy to cancel it for them, then you are record verifying that they requested it.

Buyer reported her hacked acct to Ebay and they cancelled the transaction, but I'm still showing the item in my 'sold' category and the FVF is still showing in my acct. At what point does my item go back into my selling list and at what point do I get reimbursed for the FVF?

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@dhbookds wrote:

You can change a UPI to a cancelation, but I personally never recommend doing that.  The cancellation process is for one type of problem and the UPI is for a different type problem.  Non payment should be a UPI and I agree that the OP should just wait until they can close it for Non Payment.

@mam98031 How does the seller change it? I don't think they can. They can only open or the other. If an UID is opened then it blocks a cancellation from being opened unless customer service can can over ride something on their end.....

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@missjen316 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@dhbookds wrote:

@mam98031 How does the seller change it? I don't think they can. They can only open or the other. If an UID is opened then it blocks a cancellation from being opened unless customer service can can over ride something on their end.....

I don't have one right now to test, but there use to be a question that asked the seller if they wanted to change it to a cancellation.  Thinking back on it, I don't remember seeing that on any of my more recent UPIs.  Maybe they changed it.  I will have to look closer the next time I have one.

Whoops, My bad.  They did change it.  I stand corrected.  You can't change a UPI into a cancellation.  

https://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/cancel-transaction-process.html

You won't be able to cancel a transaction if:

• The buyer has already opened an Item not received request.

• You've already opened an Unpaid item case.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Thank you Mam! I was actually thinking something changed and that eBay had finally listened  and made it possible for sellers to switch to a cancellation! I didn't know sellers used to be able to do that. They should be able to do it now, it would make things so much easier!

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@missjen316 wrote:

Thank you Mam! I was actually thinking something changed and that eBay had finally listened  and made it possible for sellers to switch to a cancellation! I didn't know sellers used to be able to do that. They should be able to do it now, it would make things so much easier!

We use to be able to do that for years, make the switch.  I have no idea when they changed it, but obviously they did.  I have never thought you should be able to change it anyway.  I know that what prompts many buyer to finally communicate with their seller is the email they receive from Ebay notifying them that their seller filed a UID.  

I allow my buyers a week to pay for the craft stuff I sell.  So it isn't 48 hours after purchase that I would file a UID.  After a couple days if payment is not received, I send a reminder invoice with a note.  Then I wait a couple more days and do that again.  After 24 hours and nothing from the buyer, then I file the UID.  So I give them plenty of notice to at the very least communicate with me.

If a buyer is not paying, then to me the UID is the proper route to go, not a cancellation.  I prefer to make sure they are blocked from leaving any kind of FB.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply