cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer did not pay

Ebay told me "PAID Ship now so i did when i got home it said payment pending. so i called Ebay and they gave so money back i was just wondering if its normal for them to give me some not all of it  money back. 

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Buyer did not pay

Sorry for the grammar I also wanted to say they gave me a 50 dollar coupon and the item I sold was going for 265.
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Buyer did not pay

@juliescobed-4 wrote:

Ebay told me "PAID Ship now so i did when i got home it said payment pending. so i called Ebay and they gave so money back i was just wondering if its normal for them to give me some not all of it  money back. 

It is very easy for a buyer to mark the item paid from their end, they simply tick on "paid" with their mouse and that is that, so the question now is how did you ship?

Because if you used ebay's system it won't let you ship unless the item has in fact been paid for.

You could alternatively check your paypal summary screen to make sure you've been paid as well.

Ebay would not 'refund' the buyer after the fact and without your consent and approval.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Buyer did not pay

@juliescobed-4 wrote:

If you don't mind, I think a little more information is needed to properly assist you.

How did Ebay notify you that the item had been paid for?  If it was an email, what EXACTLY did it say?

Have you looked at your PayPal account to see if the money is there?

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Buyer did not pay

Yeah i think i did because the tracking number was uploaded by it self.
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Buyer did not pay

Im new to this so I thought that the way the confirmed that it was paid for was through the page were it tells me about the item. Thats why i shipped it because it said paid ship now on the website.
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Buyer did not pay

@juliescobed-4 wrote:
Im new to this so I thought that the way the confirmed that it was paid for was through the page were it tells me about the item. Thats why i shipped it because it said paid ship now on the website.

eBay and PayPal are separate companies. Never rely on eBay to tell you what is happening on another company's website. 

Always log into PayPal directly (never from a link in an email, because those can be forged) and verify that a payment has actually been received. 

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Buyer did not pay

sidemouse wrote: 
It is very easy for a buyer to mark the item paid from their end, they simply tick on "paid" with their mouse and that is that, so the question now is how did you ship?

I think you mean "Payment Sent." There is no "Paid" checkbox for a buyer to check, and Payment Sent does not show "Paid" on the seller's end, either. Payment Sent is a holdover from the days when a buyer might mail a check or money order, but it does not direct the seller to ship.

In this case it sounds like the buyer may have paid by e-Check, and the seller jumped the gun by shipping before the payment actually cleared.

To the OP: if you log directly into your PayPal account, does the buyer's payment still show as Pending, or...?

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Buyer did not pay

@juliescobed-4 wrote:

The tracking number can ONLY upload by itself if YOU create a shipping label via Ebay or PP.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Buyer did not pay

@mam98031 wrote:

@juliescobed-4 wrote:

The tracking number can ONLY upload by itself if YOU create a shipping label via Ebay or PP.

Recently I had a transaction that showed ship now in the Orders section of the Sellers Hub, even though the payment was still pending in PayPal. Didn't ship of course, but I just thought it was a bug.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Buyer did not pay

@odditiesandantiquities1 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@juliescobed-4 wrote:

Recently I had a transaction that showed ship now in the Orders section of the Sellers Hub, even though the payment was still pending in PayPal. Didn't ship of course, but I just thought it was a bug.

Well now that is disturbing and could certainly mislead a seasoned seller, so a new seller it would be even worse.  However if it isn't paid for, it use to be that Ebay didn't let you create a shipping label, has that changed???

With that said, the seller would still need to create a shipping label for the tracking number to auto load onto the sales record as the OP says that it did.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Buyer did not pay

mam98031 wrote: 
Well now that is disturbing and could certainly mislead a seasoned seller, so a new seller it would be even worse.  However if it isn't paid for, it use to be that Ebay didn't let you create a shipping label, has that changed???

eBay will let you print a domestic shipping label even if it is not shown as Paid. There will be a big orange warning banner about that across the top of the Print Shipping Label form, however.

eBay will not let you print an international shipping label if it is not shown as Paid. (I have long had a personal theory that this might be one reason why international scammers like to use domestic reshippers: the domestic label can be printed if the scammer can manage to fool the seller into thinking he'll be paid later, such as in the "ship-and-upload-your-tracking-number-to-be-paid" scam.)

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Buyer did not pay

@a_c_green wrote:

mam98031 wrote: 

eBay will let you print a domestic shipping label even if it is not shown as Paid. There will be a big orange warning banner about that across the top of the Print Shipping Label form, however.

eBay will not let you print an international shipping label if it is not shown as Paid. (I have long had a personal theory that this might be one reason why international scammers like to use domestic reshippers: the domestic label can be printed if the scammer can manage to fool the seller into thinking he'll be paid later, such as in the "ship-and-upload-your-tracking-number-to-be-paid" scam.)

It's unusual though. Normally I don't see it move to "print shipping label" until payment has been confirmed. This was an echeck, so maybe something was different about that?

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Buyer did not pay

@odditiesandantiquities1 wrote:

@a_c_green wrote:

mam98031 wrote: 

It's unusual though. Normally I don't see it move to "print shipping label" until payment has been confirmed. This was an echeck, so maybe something was different about that?

Echecks are handled differently.  As you know, it really isn't paid until it clears.  It has been my experience that they do not show up under items awaiting shipment until the echeck clears.  

But just a little footnote.  I have not had an echeck payment since I started using the Seller Hub, so I don't know if they will handle this differently in the Hub or it will remain as before.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply