cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big mad-Payment dispute-buyer admits reason & wins anyway...oh, and eBay gets a $20 tip. Neat.

Top-rated seller. Buying and selling for well over a decade on eBay. Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk:

Buyer orders a cheap top from me, in which I have $6 shipping (to prevent returns for fit), but I offer free returns, because of the discount eBay offers me, both on final value fees and in SEO. Well, she opens a return because the item doesn't fit. Measurements are clear in both the listing and condition section (again, to prevent returns for fit).

Week later, buyer's order is received and refunded immediately, minus initial shipping (since a return for "item doesn't fit", admittedly by her). But, she received a free return shipping label at my expense, so we both took a slight hit, no problem. Shirt is promptly donated. Then, she Karens out and opens a payment dispute with eBay, in which I have to provide evidence of refund. I did. The shipping wasn't refunded (item did not fit). Item was exactly as described. Today, I get an e-mail from eBay saying that not only did they decide the case in her favor, and I get a defect, but they also took a $20 "dispute fee" from my account.....I guess it was for all the hard investigating that was involved in the matter.

What in the actual. I have concierge customer service with my store subscription, so I promptly contacted eBay, trying not to be rage-y. I know it has nothing to do with them (the reps). Nice woman explained that I needed to go to the "managed payments" section on eBay and start a request there...which takes me back to the same exact dang form I initially filled out for assistance. This is not about the money or the lady, although I am angry about the money..... Why do I pay for these services when they do nothing for me? Why am I paying for a payment dispute on my behalf when I a) have concierge customer service that I rarely use b) ebay is supposed to be MANAGING the payments/transactions and c) the customer outright said what was going on!? Finally, how is my value as a seller (and an avid buyer) so low to eBay that I cannot even get a fair outcome when I follow policy to a T. It's downright sheisty, if you ask me, charging a $20 dispute fee regardless... You made me let you manage my payments, and now you didn't manage them well, so I have to tip you!? Whaaa? I have different ventures elsewhere online, and I have never ever had such a negative slew of situations like the ones I have with my ride-or-die, eBay.

Rant over. Sorry for the bad vibes. Moral of the story--just refund the payment dispute if the purchase was small.... because it literally does not matter at all what you do--you will not win. Furthermore, there is no reason not to offer free ship and free return because that's what you're basically forced to do anyway. At the end of the day, it will save you so much time and headache and ranting on the internet to strangers. And just remember the precedent of the platform, so you are never let down.

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Big mad-Payment dispute-buyer admits reason & wins anyway...oh, and eBay gets a $20 tip. Nea

The "$20 tip" went to Adyen or the buyers credit card issuer

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

Re: Big mad-Payment dispute-buyer admits reason & wins anyway...oh, and eBay gets a $20 tip. Nea

Never heard of a dispute fee.  That shouldn't be charged to the seller under any circumstances. 

And it looks like we aren't even sure who took the money. 

but Ebay oversees the money, the transactions, thru ebay managed thievery, so 

in the end, this is ebay's fault.  

I think this is getting so out of control. 

They have gone completely overboard. 

They were so concerned that buyers were getting ripped off, 

but now there doesn't seem to be any concern that sellers are getting ripped off. 

Why would there not be concern from both perspectives? 

Why is it ok for sellers to be ripped off, but not ok if a buyer gets ripped off?  

These cases need to be handled in a much more fair way.  

They need to look at all the facts.    

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

@ra_201044 wrote:

Buyer orders a cheap top from me, in which I have $6 shipping (to prevent returns for fit), but I offer free returns, because of the discount eBay offers me, both on final value fees and in SEO. Well, she opens a return because the item doesn't fit. Measurements are clear in both the listing and condition section (again, to prevent returns for fit).

Since you offer free returns, it doesn't matter what they select - YOU offered FREE RETURNS. Since you do, you can't withhold shipping from the refund.

Exactly!!!

Buyers are sick of sellers who lie, cheat and steal

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

@fashunu4eeuh wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@ra_201044 wrote:

Since you offer free returns, it doesn't matter what they select - YOU offered FREE RETURNS. Since you do, you can't withhold shipping from the refund.

lf the seller charged for original shipping, they can withhold that amount for remorse returns whether or not they have free returns.  One has nothing to do with the other. 

@pjcdn2005  No, this is not correct. If a seller offers free returns, they must pay return shipping regardless of the reason. See link below for policy:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/return-shipping-for-sellers?id=4703

If they simply changed their mind or ordered the wrong item, who pays for return shipping is determined by your return policy. If you stated you offer free returns, you have to pay; otherwise, you can ask the buyer to cover the cost.”

@fashunu4eeuh 

If you read my post I didn't say that the seller doesn't have to pay return shipping, obviously they do if they have free returns.  My statement was in regard to the original shipping cost that the buyer paid.   Another poster suggested that no shipping could be withheld from the refund if the item had free returns but that's not true.  The seller  was given the option of withholding the original shipping amount because it was a remorse return....that part is not affected by free returns.

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

SELLERS  are sick of BUYERS who lie, cheat and steal, 

More bad buyers than sellers!!!  Seller get *&^$%,

Buyers walk away with NO repercussions, slap on the hand and laughing the whole way through 

Message 20 of 22
latest reply

No worries about your rant.  I only read the first two sentences.  You now have a larger amount to write off against your taxes next year.  

Message 21 of 22
latest reply

Yes, Yes, YES!!!!    

So many Sellers have been told "just refund, it's not worth your time" and this has helped foster a Bad Buyer culture here.  

If I mess up I bend over backwards to make it up to my customer but if a buyer is trying to slip one past...uh-uh, not gonna happen.

I will spend the time talking to CS and plead my case. The "small bit of cash" is worth my time, as this is my only source of revenue, I will fight for every penny I earned. (Earned, not scammed. If I screw up I fix it).

This Seller lost: whatever the item cost to purchase (if she's a reseller) + what it sold for + original shipping + return shipping + fees + packing material + $20 dispute fee... so probably $40ish or more...  that's my monthly phone bill with enough leftover for a pizza (I live pretty frugally).

This is not small change for a lot of people. Have this happen to you a few times a year and you're into the $100's. It adds up & it makes for a very poor selling experience which will drive away good sellers.

What I have found is that if you have a Return Policy eBay will ALWAYS find in the Buyer's favor NO MATTER WHAT. 

I no longer offer returns. Period.  I provide measurements in the description & try to offer plenty of pics.  This may drive a few people away but I'm not in the business of clothing rental. I consider eBay to be an online garage sale. Buy at your own risk.

And in my 10+ years of sales I have only lost 2 cases, 1 before I found out about the return policy issue (it was the exact same issue OP has)  & 1 because I followed bad CS advice.

-SRBB "Stop Rewarding Bad Buyers"

Message 22 of 22
latest reply