cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big mad-Payment dispute-buyer admits reason & wins anyway...oh, and eBay gets a $20 tip. Neat.

Top-rated seller. Buying and selling for well over a decade on eBay. Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk:

Buyer orders a cheap top from me, in which I have $6 shipping (to prevent returns for fit), but I offer free returns, because of the discount eBay offers me, both on final value fees and in SEO. Well, she opens a return because the item doesn't fit. Measurements are clear in both the listing and condition section (again, to prevent returns for fit).

Week later, buyer's order is received and refunded immediately, minus initial shipping (since a return for "item doesn't fit", admittedly by her). But, she received a free return shipping label at my expense, so we both took a slight hit, no problem. Shirt is promptly donated. Then, she Karens out and opens a payment dispute with eBay, in which I have to provide evidence of refund. I did. The shipping wasn't refunded (item did not fit). Item was exactly as described. Today, I get an e-mail from eBay saying that not only did they decide the case in her favor, and I get a defect, but they also took a $20 "dispute fee" from my account.....I guess it was for all the hard investigating that was involved in the matter.

What in the actual. I have concierge customer service with my store subscription, so I promptly contacted eBay, trying not to be rage-y. I know it has nothing to do with them (the reps). Nice woman explained that I needed to go to the "managed payments" section on eBay and start a request there...which takes me back to the same exact dang form I initially filled out for assistance. This is not about the money or the lady, although I am angry about the money..... Why do I pay for these services when they do nothing for me? Why am I paying for a payment dispute on my behalf when I a) have concierge customer service that I rarely use b) ebay is supposed to be MANAGING the payments/transactions and c) the customer outright said what was going on!? Finally, how is my value as a seller (and an avid buyer) so low to eBay that I cannot even get a fair outcome when I follow policy to a T. It's downright sheisty, if you ask me, charging a $20 dispute fee regardless... You made me let you manage my payments, and now you didn't manage them well, so I have to tip you!? Whaaa? I have different ventures elsewhere online, and I have never ever had such a negative slew of situations like the ones I have with my ride-or-die, eBay.

Rant over. Sorry for the bad vibes. Moral of the story--just refund the payment dispute if the purchase was small.... because it literally does not matter at all what you do--you will not win. Furthermore, there is no reason not to offer free ship and free return because that's what you're basically forced to do anyway. At the end of the day, it will save you so much time and headache and ranting on the internet to strangers. And just remember the precedent of the platform, so you are never let down.

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Big mad-Payment dispute-buyer admits reason & wins anyway...oh, and eBay gets a $20 tip. Nea

I'm curious, when you say "payment dispute" do you mean she claimed the payment was "unauthorized", or what was formerly called an Unauthorized Payment Chargeback (UA) when PayPal managed the eBay payments?

If so, did you have tracking that showed delivery?

Assuming both of those are in play, I don't see how this wasn't automatically closed in your favor, even if it took a few weeks.

I am interested because I currently have my first two unauthorized payment disputes as a seller opened through eBay since enrolling in Managed Payments. One is for $500 and the other for $200. I have tracking showing delivery (not sure why delivery is required when PayPal only required proof of shipping; I have sold thousands of items internationally and on a good day only 1/2 to 3/4 of items have delivery scans) and am doing the dreaded "wait and see how eBay handles it" approach.

I used to be in a PayPal "Pod" where I could call in and they'd instantly release the funds despite the ongoing investigation assuming I met the seller protection requirements which at the time was just proof of shipment.

Now it's proof of delivery, but assuming I have that when the dispute is opened, it showed be closed in my favor. None of this "holding further payouts until the amount is matched". Does eBay give me interest on that $700 they'll hold for the next several weeks? Any why are they holding the full amount of the transactions? I certainly didn't get the full amount of the payment paid out to me because of the ~ 12% they keep now.

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

Re: Big mad-Payment dispute-buyer admits reason & wins anyway...oh, and eBay gets a $20 tip. Nea

It was a "payment dispute" through eBay. It states that she opened the dispute because she claims she did not get a refund, of which she was refunded the purchase price of the item. I provided proof of the refun (just didn't refund the initial shipping she paid because it was a return for fit, in which a buyer is not entitled to compensation unless you as a seller decide otherwise). I'm not really sure why I even had to provide proof of the refund, since eBay managed the refund... Good luck!

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

@the.archive wrote:

Today, I get an e-mail from eBay saying that not only did they decide the case in her favor, and I get a defect, but they also took a $20 "dispute fee" from my account.....I guess it was for all the hard investigating that was involved in the matter.

If you were charged $20, that means the buyer filed a chargeback through their credit card company--not through eBay per se. The money transmitter (in this case, eBay) "represents" the seller in any credit card company chargeback.

Your customer filed the chargeback with her credit card company because you didn't refund her shipping cost, rightly or wrongly--no judgement. Her credit card company apparently disagreed with your decision and felt s/he should receive a full refund.

That $20 fee was and is standard with PayPal as well. eBay didn't adjudicate the case--the credit card company did. Surprise, surprise, the credit card company found in their customer's favor. (They usually do.)

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

Buyer orders a cheap top from me, in which I have $6 shipping (to prevent returns for fit), but I offer free returns, because of the discount eBay offers me, both on final value fees and in SEO. Well, she opens a return because the item doesn't fit. Measurements are clear in both the listing and condition section (again, to prevent returns for fit).

Since you offer free returns, it doesn't matter what they select - YOU offered FREE RETURNS. Since you do, you can't withhold shipping from the refund.

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

@the.archive 

Well you got some great answers so I'll just say I enjoyed reading your rant! But I gotta ask? You stated " you sold buyer a cheap top" ....it probably didn't fit her, you know how those " cheap" tops are....best to you!

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

@silverstatetreasureboxes 

Like the ones they wear at the Navel Academy 😁

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

Gettin' a lot of mileage out of that one, aren't you guys?

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

This makes sense. Thanks for the clarification. This rant helped me get over myself.... I do feel sellers as a whole should be protected from these sorts of buyers across the board....it's not *I* that abused eBay policy in this case... but I'm done with the can-of-worms opening. Life's not fair; I get it. 🙂

Thanks for taking the time to explain what likely happened. Take care

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

😄

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

@ra_201044 wrote:

Since you offer free returns, it doesn't matter what they select - YOU offered FREE RETURNS. Since you do, you can't withhold shipping from the refund.

lf the seller charged for original shipping, they can withhold that amount for remorse returns whether or not they have free returns.  One has nothing to do with the other. 

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

It seems like every buyer is paranoid they're being scammed, even in the silliest circumstances with the most minor transactions... eBay's been moving toward a "seller is always wrong" model for a while now. That $20 fee is ridiculous. I definitely think it has something to do with how many more buyers are showing 0-5 total eBay transactions these days. Long-time users are defecting to other platforms, and with good reason.

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

I currently have my first two unauthorized payment disputes

Was wondering how that worked out? Unauthorized Payment disputes usually involve the buyers CC holder and bank. And proof of delivery might not be enough.

FWIW-  The top might  be exactly the measurements you gave, and she might have those measurements, but the top still might not fit.

Some women are broad across the back. Some are bosomy. A 48" chest might be a 38G or a 46AA.

The top might be short exposing her navel, or the sleeves might be too tight or too long.

The bust measurement might be fine but the shoulders too tight.

The scoop neckline might be chokingly high or immodestly low.

Return for refund is a Best Practice.

The minimum wage here is 23c a minute.  That top sold for 26 minutes of your time.

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@ra_201044 wrote:

lf the seller charged for original shipping, they can withhold that amount for remorse returns whether or not they have free returns.  One has nothing to do with the other. 

@pjcdn2005  No, this is not correct. If a seller offers free returns, they must pay return shipping regardless of the reason. See link below for policy:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/return-shipping-for-sellers?id=4703

If they simply changed their mind or ordered the wrong item, who pays for return shipping is determined by your return policy. If you stated you offer free returns, you have to pay; otherwise, you can ask the buyer to cover the cost.”

Message 15 of 22
latest reply