cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

As a seller what can i do to avoid scam buyers’ refund requests?

Hi, i am a new seller that bought on ebay for years so i am aware of the many advantages as a buyer the site offers and that is completely fine, unless buyers abuse them

As a new seller I would like to ask experienced ones what is the best way of avoiding this. My main fear is that the buyer will receive the object and later ask a refund claiming there was nothing in there or it was another item (i know it may sound paranoid but i sell products for around 1k-2k$ and losing then is a big hit on my finances).

So, i was wondering if (apart from providing tracking) recording myself while i put the items in the box, seal it, and apply the shipping note would count as a strong proof in my favor if the buyer decides to pull something fishy. I am sure that being a new seller would not help my case, though i had this account as a buyer for many years if that counts for anything.

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to help.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: As a seller what can i do to avoid scam buyers’ refund requests?

There are no guarantees when selling online, so typically its best not to list overly expensive items. You are selling to a perfect stranger to you from across the country. You need to read the TOS so you can understand what all of the policies are for this platform. This platform offers a Money Back Guarantee to all buyers. 

Return system-- Everything is automated and handled by bots. There are simply too many millions of listings on a single day for eBay to take the time to view each and every discrepancy. Buyers are favored to make their experience memorable and hope for more sales. Buyers will always be on the winning end in online transactions. The vast majority of online sales go on without a hitch. Try to remain positive that all will be fine. Best of luck to you....

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Some of the risk comes from what categories you sell in and what type of items.  So would you please share with us what kind of items you will be selling.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Mostly high value action figures i own and want to sell. Maybe some mangas… nerd stuff

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Everything posted by @lamber9347 in post #2 is 'it on a stick'. 

There are NO guarantees when selling.

There are NO 'Videos' or 'pictures' accepted as ANY type of proof. So, basically, if a buyer wants to 'get you' then easily can. Anywhere from returning a rock to doing a 'chargeback' with their Bank, Credit Card or Paypal (and they have up to 6 months to do this at which it is out of ebay hands (after 30 days) but ebay MUST abide by the 'Bank' and it's THEIR decision on whether you get 'charged back' or not (you also will not recieve the item back should it go this way)

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Excellent, thank you.  While that is not a category that has a whole lot of scam buyers, you are smart to be cautious.

As a seller there is only so much that we can do to avoid these kinds of issues.  Since all your items will likely sell for over $750, make sure you insure the packages and REQUIRE signature on delivery.  I would state that in your TOS [terms of sale] of your listings.

It is very important that you write a clear and informative listing.  Your title is the most important and needs to be clear, concise and correct.  Making sure you use words a buyer would search for the item by.

Your ISBs [Item specific boxes] are important as well.  The Ebay search engine includes searching your ISBs.

You will find that a lot of the pre set up ISBs won't pertain to you.  Just skip them.  Create your own as needed, there is an option for that and you can set up as many as you find useful.

Your actual description needs to be a complete description.  Don't leave anything out.  Note any loose joins, faded colors or any other even slight defect on the item.  Plus make sure you accurately describe the item as a whole.

Your pictures [you can have up to 24 free] need to be crisp and clear.  Making sure you take good pics of any imperfections in the item too.

I hope you have a wonderful time selling.

Happy Holidays.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@danco_2904 wrote:

So, i was wondering if (apart from providing tracking) recording myself while i put the items in the box, seal it, and apply the shipping note would count as a strong proof in my favor if the buyer decides to pull something fishy. I am sure that being a new seller would not help my case, though i had this account as a buyer for many years if that counts for anything.

The tips you stated above will do nothing in regards to ebay siding with you on a scam return. Ebay will not consider any of that as proof.

As a new seller, you are a target for scams. More of them will be fake payment scams than return scams. But still, new sellers should not be selling high value items until you establish to buyers that you are experienced.

For high value action figures category, I see alot of potential issues with switcharoo returns, or returns with damaged reasons since condition of retail packaging is a sensitive subject with those types of items.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@iamalwaysright wrote:

@danco_2904 wrote:

The tips you stated above will do nothing in regards to ebay siding with you on a scam return. Ebay will not consider any of that as proof.

As a new seller, you are a target for scams. More of them will be fake payment scams than return scams. But still, new sellers should not be selling high value items until you establish to buyers that you are experienced.

Well yes and no.  It will depend on the time of dispute the buyer opens.  Ebay has a very strong Seller Protection policy in regards to INRs [items not received].  If the tracking shows delivered and the seller followed the instructions to qualify for this protection, then they should win any INR that may come their way.

INADs [items not as described] or a Chargeback [buyer files a claim directly with their Credit card company] are a different breed for sure.  They can be very tricky to navigate but need to be taken on a case by case basis.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

The only way to keep from getting scammed, is to sell local for cash.

Your videos would be a waist of time and they wouldn't prove anything.

Have a great day
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

I am not sure what type of items you are selling at $1-$2K but always remember the #1 rule as a seller on eBay. NEVER list anything you are not prepared to take the financial loss on. Most transactions on eBay probably take place without any issues but there are risks and most of those risks are to the seller given the extent of the eBay money back guarantee and the current CC chargeback laws. 

As a new seller you should also be aware that eBay will probably hold your funds for up to 30 days. 

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@kensgiftshop wrote:

The only way to keep from getting scammed, is to sell local for cash.

Your videos would be a waist of time and they wouldn't prove anything.

I don't think they were looking for a guarantee.  Just advice as to how they can best avoid it.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply