cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else find foreign based male representatives demeaning?

I’ve learned that non US based male customer support agents are somewhat condescending and dismissive of me, and I’m thinking it’s because I’m a woman and any female I speak with US or abroad is typically very helpful. I spoke with a US representative about the issue, a male, and he confirmed my suspicions of the fact that in the countries that the men are in, women are treated as inferior, property, and not given the same rights as men.

So I won’t even talk to another male representative if I can clearly tell he is in the middle east or south asia because it’s like banging my head against the wall. One representative was arguing with me because he didn’t think I should speak with a supervisor...this has happened more than one occasion. It’s really bad and I typically do not feel discriminated against ever as I worked in a male dominated industry quite well and treated as an equal. Only way to guarantee a US representative is to have an Anchor store.

Anyone else experience? Any men feel the same way? Or is it gender related or just residing in the USA?

Message 1 of 54
latest reply
53 REPLIES 53

Re: Anyone else find foreign based male representatives demeaning?

@calistas_closet33wrote:
seems kind of silly to hide identity, since there should be nothing to hide

There are some very practical reasons for selling members to separate business from pleasure, so to speak...  to separate their business accounts from their discussion board accounts.   And it is rarely a matter of trying to *hide* anything.

But here is a small example of what can happen, and absolutely HAS happened to seller members in the past.   So just as an example, you are posting with your selling account.   I take offense at something you have said and that I don't agree with, even just that perhaps I didn't like the way you seemed to infer *something* that I took offense to.

So, since you're using your selling account, I get my two daughters and daughter-in-law, plus my best friend or two, and myself, and we all buy some little thing from you...  then we all file SNAD claims against you for the items AND all leave you negative feedback.   Ha ha.   Got even with you and made you pay.   Now is that a horror story or what??!!!   And it's happened, and it's not fair, and eBay will do nothing about it, so many sellers just decide to keep their business and their discussion board life completely separated!   Better safe than sorry. 

So that's the explanation behind why many posting members don't use one of their selling accounts here.   Smiley Very Happy 

Message 31 of 54
latest reply

I have gotten that vibe off male CS reps from other companies, too.  

Message 32 of 54
latest reply

no, buying and selling accounts I can understand, why multiple IDs, not sure, I didn’t know it was allowed either. I typically subscribe to only the paranoid survive motto but beyond business name and PO box with street address, I feel comfortable with one ID. But I don’t post a lot on the seller board nor do I buy a lot, nor do I operate under multiple tax IDs, etc...i’m sure lots of reasons can be given, so every person’s situation is unique.
Message 33 of 54
latest reply

@calistas_closet33wrote:

I’ve learned that non US based male customer support agents are somewhat condescending and dismissive of me, and I’m thinking it’s because I’m a woman and any female I speak with US or abroad is typically very helpful. I spoke with a US representative about the issue, a male, and he confirmed my suspicions of the fact that in the countries that the men are in, women are treated as inferior, property, and not given the same rights as men.

So I won’t even talk to another male representative if I can clearly tell he is in the middle east or south asia because it’s like banging my head against the wall. One representative was arguing with me because he didn’t think I should speak with a supervisor...this has happened more than one occasion. It’s really bad and I typically do not feel discriminated against ever as I worked in a male dominated industry quite well and treated as an equal. Only way to guarantee a US representative is to have an Anchor store.

Anyone else experience? Any men feel the same way? Or is it gender related or just residing in the USA?

Evening Calistas,

I have had a chance to read through this discussion and I understand where you are coming from yet I think the time and place is fluid and many of us may have a variety of bad experiences with interaction with folks regardless of gender just as this discussion has kinda shown.

Men can be butt heads but if they let their wives "raise" then right after their mothers tried then you probably will run into some nice guys from every corner of the world.

Mr C

Message 34 of 54
latest reply

Seems kinda racist and sexist to assume that all foreign reps are treating women badly. pada 57 to the op - unquote --------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think the op meant ALL  foreign reps ,, just the ones she's dealt with personally . It's a fact that women are treated  especially   bad  in countries with the worst human rights violations  on the planet . So its very probable  the op is being completely honest  about her own unforunate   experiences .  Telling the truth about those things   doesn't make  a person a  racist  or sexist . IMO  Tulips 

Message 35 of 54
latest reply

Oh thank you for understanding and speaking up. Somehow this conversation became so far off the intent I had, I realize now that interpretation of my experience was taken a step further in stereotyping than intended , to classifying all men and in non us based locations. It’s very specific to ebay customer support and my experience has been far more pleasant and helpful when female anywhere or male in texas.. Thanks again for not feeding into the frenzy. Much appreciated!

Message 36 of 54
latest reply

It’s very specific to ebay customer support and my experience has been far more pleasant and helpful when female anywhere or male in texas.. Thanks again for not feeding into the frenzy. Much appreciated! op -- unquote ---- ------------------------------------

You're welcome ,  it just seems there's a double standard at play sometimes . We should have the right [both men and women ] to give an accurate account as we see it  of any circumstance that we've faced  without being  so quickly dismissed . I found most posters replying in this thread to be dignified and helpful ,, but not all . Tulips 

Message 37 of 54
latest reply

WOW. OK

Message 38 of 54
latest reply

@the*dog*ate*my*tableclothwrote:

I can only remember having to call Ebay once in the nearly 20 years I've been here. My selling account was hijacked.  I doubt you'll find many people who call enough times to see a pattern?

There is definitely at least ONE person who could see a pattern if there was such a pattern which I doubt. I have noticed anyone who calls CS and the person does not get the answer they where looking for automatically says the CS agents are poorly educated, dumb as a box of rocks, and very rude.

Message 39 of 54
latest reply

Others have explained to you about sellng Ids - so I won't go into that - but seeing your reaction to some of the posts leads me to believe since you previously had an issue with a male CS - you go into battle mode before you even call expecting trouble. If you get a female CS agent - you relax - if it's a male - you're on the defensive.

My mother is the sweetest woman but when upset - her tone and inflections sometimes puts the other person immediately on the defense as you think she's going to come out swinging.

I've never had problems with CS due to gender - but the language barrier sometimes is a problem - overall I'm happy with Ebay CS.

Message 40 of 54
latest reply

@coolectionswrote:

@the*dog*ate*my*tableclothwrote:

I can only remember having to call Ebay once in the nearly 20 years I've been here. My selling account was hijacked.  I doubt you'll find many people who call enough times to see a pattern?

There is definitely at least ONE person who could see a pattern if there was such a pattern which I doubt. I have noticed anyone who calls CS and the person does not get the answer they where looking for automatically says the CS agents are poorly educated, dumb as a box of rocks, and very rude.

And oft times it's not about them being "poorly educated, dumb or rude" it's about them reading from a script with ZERO actual user knowledge of the site and being totally unable to UNDERSTAND what the caller is telling them (but then sometimes it is).

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 41 of 54
latest reply

@mistwomandancing wrote:

@calistas_closet33wrote:

There are some very practical reasons for selling members to separate business from pleasure, so to speak...  to separate their business accounts from their discussion board accounts.   And it is rarely a matter of trying to *hide* anything.

But here is a small example of what can happen, and absolutely HAS happened to seller members in the past.   So just as an example, you are posting with your selling account.   I take offense at something you have said and that I don't agree with, even just that perhaps I didn't like the way you seemed to infer *something* that I took offense to.

So, since you're using your selling account, I get my two daughters and daughter-in-law, plus my best friend or two, and myself, and we all buy some little thing from you...  then we all file SNAD claims against you for the items AND all leave you negative feedback.   Ha ha.   Got even with you and made you pay.   Now is that a horror story or what??!!!   And it's happened, and it's not fair, and eBay will do nothing about it, so many sellers just decide to keep their business and their discussion board life completely separated!   Better safe than sorry. 

So that's the explanation behind why many posting members don't use one of their selling accounts here.   Smiley Very Happy 

Hi @mistwomandancing

To say that "eBay will do nothing about it" is not accurate. 

We take reports of malicious buying very seriously; if there's evidence, we will take action on the buyer's account(s) which can include account suspension.

I do think the risk of this actually happening is exaggerated by some.  In the 5+ years that I've been working across multiple eBay Community platforms, I have seen it happen once. 

If anyone suspects any malicious buying on their accounts related to Community activity they can contact me and I will carry out a full investigation. 

Thanks. 

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 42 of 54
latest reply

Alan

I contacted ebay and they agreed buyer was extorting me. Had to call back to not be dismissed and the second call was with someone helpful  

Another seller told me she also was extorted with no action by ebay, After reporting the buyer is now able to open a SNAD return and I just need to accept that Ill get damaged merchandise from a proven abuser of the system. And here is her history of feedback, only 19, 6 negative. It raises red flags but as a seller I cannot protect myself and eat damaged merchandise and shipping costs for someone who overtly violated policy. 

Message 43 of 54
latest reply

alan@ebaywrote:

@mistwomandancingwrote:

@calistas_closet33wrote:

Hi @mistwomandancing

We take reports of malicious buying very seriously; if there's evidence, we will take action on the buyer's account(s) which can include account suspension.

I do think the risk of this actually happening is exaggerated by some.  In the 5+ years that I've been working across multiple eBay Community platforms, I have seen it happen once. 

If anyone suspects any malicious buying on their accounts related to Community activity they can contact me and I will carry out a full investigation. 

Thanks. 

Of course, Alan.   But...  how does a seller go about PROVING anything like this to eBay.   Five or six apparently unrelated buyers located in several states in the country?   There is no way you can trace who is related, best friends with whom, etc.  

You say that in FIVE YEARS, you've only seen it happen once.   I don't think that's because it is such a very rare occurrence...  I believe it's because it's a nearly impossible thing to tie together and prove.

We LOVE all that eBay does do to protect us, but we don't count on eBay being All Seeing and All Knowing in cases such as described.   There is only so much eBay can do.. or will do.. without so much absolute proof, but in the meantime, sellers can be harassed, frightened, and damaged never-the-less.   Additionally, when contact information is given after a transaction is in progress or when a seller's address in shown right on the shipping label of merchandise received, it just isn't invisible anymore.   Without being paranoid, it's just safest to separate business from play on an internet discussion board to my way of thinking.

However, awfully glad you read the boards here and always appreciate your input, which I mostly agree with!  Smiley Wink  Thank you for your input here.   It makes me feel happier, but no less likely to keep all my family's accounts separate from the discussion boards.  lol

Message 44 of 54
latest reply

@mistwomandancing wrote:

alan@ebaywrote:

@mistwomandancingwrote:

@calistas_closet33wrote:

Hi @mistwomandancing

Thanks. 

Of course, Alan.   But...  how does a seller go about PROVING anything like this to eBay.   Five or six apparently unrelated buyers located in several states in the country?   There is no way you can trace who is related, best friends with whom, etc.  

You say that in FIVE YEARS, you've only seen it happen once.   I don't think that's because it is such a very rare occurrence...  I believe it's because it's a nearly impossible thing to tie together and prove.

We LOVE all that eBay does do to protect us, but we don't count on eBay being All Seeing and All Knowing in cases such as described.   There is only so much eBay can do.. or will do.. without so much absolute proof, but in the meantime, sellers can be harassed, frightened, and damaged never-the-less.   Additionally, when contact information is given after a transaction is in progress or when a seller's address in shown right on the shipping label of merchandise received, it just isn't invisible anymore.   Without being paranoid, it's just safest to separate business from play on an internet discussion board to my way of thinking.

However, awfully glad you read the boards here and always appreciate your input, which I mostly agree with!  Smiley Wink  Thank you for your input here.   It makes me feel happier, but no less likely to keep all my family's accounts separate from the discussion boards.  lol

Great post, well... I'm here if you need me, @mistwomandancing!

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 45 of 54
latest reply