cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else find foreign based male representatives demeaning?

I’ve learned that non US based male customer support agents are somewhat condescending and dismissive of me, and I’m thinking it’s because I’m a woman and any female I speak with US or abroad is typically very helpful. I spoke with a US representative about the issue, a male, and he confirmed my suspicions of the fact that in the countries that the men are in, women are treated as inferior, property, and not given the same rights as men.

So I won’t even talk to another male representative if I can clearly tell he is in the middle east or south asia because it’s like banging my head against the wall. One representative was arguing with me because he didn’t think I should speak with a supervisor...this has happened more than one occasion. It’s really bad and I typically do not feel discriminated against ever as I worked in a male dominated industry quite well and treated as an equal. Only way to guarantee a US representative is to have an Anchor store.

Anyone else experience? Any men feel the same way? Or is it gender related or just residing in the USA?

Message 1 of 54
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@calistas_closet33wrote:

I’ve learned that non US based male customer support agents are somewhat condescending and dismissive of me, and I’m thinking it’s because I’m a woman and any female I speak with US or abroad is typically very helpful. I spoke with a US representative about the issue, a male, and he confirmed my suspicions of the fact that in the countries that the men are in, women are treated as inferior, property, and not given the same rights as men.

So I won’t even talk to another male representative if I can clearly tell he is in the middle east or south asia because it’s like banging my head against the wall. One representative was arguing with me because he didn’t think I should speak with a supervisor...this has happened more than one occasion. It’s really bad and I typically do not feel discriminated against ever as I worked in a male dominated industry quite well and treated as an equal. Only way to guarantee a US representative is to have an Anchor store.

Anyone else experience? Any men feel the same way? Or is it gender related or just residing in the USA?

I find the foreign CS reps to be way nicer than the US CS reps overall. I'm a guy so the males will treat me different than they would a female, due to their culture. In the US, I noticed that the new CS call centers in the US have very poorly educated reps. I'm not talking job skill education either. I'm talking overall education. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 13 of 54
latest reply
53 REPLIES 53

I can only remember having to call Ebay once in the nearly 20 years I've been here. My selling account was hijacked.

I doubt you'll find many people who call enough times to see a pattern?

Message 2 of 54
latest reply

@the*dog*ate*my*tableclothwrote:

I can only remember having to call Ebay once in the nearly 20 years I've been here. My selling account was hijacked.

I doubt you'll find many people who call enough times to see a pattern?

There are quite a few here who have claimed to call many times just to try and get a FB comment removed.  Others seems to make a habit of calling for simple things based on a few threads here.

I find it demeaning that US companies would farm customer service out to offshore companies to begin with.  They don't think US workers are worth the money, but they have no isseues risking our personal information.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 3 of 54
latest reply

that’s the problem, sellers encounter issues don’t call as much I suppose I sold 3500 transactions in the past 12 months, 4 bad buyers...multiple phone calls to get any results. So 4 buyers results in 10-12 calls plus i’ve had questions about new selling policies which I have had some very nice representatives, anchor store gets access to a human that cares
Message 4 of 54
latest reply

I've only had to call them a couple of time in all these years, but it was the female rep who was atrocious.

Message 5 of 54
latest reply

well... so the US rep said that huh?....male or female?

the fact is that other countries are not all the same..cultures are different...and you will find the same thing here is the USA....

maybe they simple are raised and have that within their DNA/enviromental ...but would if a foreiner feels funny calling here... and what about a US citizen who call but has an accent..ummm. not sayiong anything is right....but maybe it is also how it's preceived by the person.

lets face it..and not say you...but don't you read how an US person calling and getting any other voice...already has the attitude and is placing themself above the person....

so many these men...who view women with certain blinders , maybe it flows from their pours, but just many some of it is.....what we hear ...or think we hear...

as for REPS being in other countries...I DON"T CARE as long as they can help!... BUT many times they follow a script, and doesn't matter what accent you hear...if it says...no..or can't...they follow it to the nth degree..... so I think what i am saying is what sucks is the way the CS is set up....and mostly just to cover the basics... I've had good luck when called,.,,BUT/and I did not always get MY WAY....but not because of an accent.....

Message 6 of 54
latest reply

I've only had to call twice and both times I got a semi-helpful female. Unlike most folks, I like when I get outsourced customer service because when I tell them my name is Cliff they believe me (my husband set up this selling account).

They didn’t say it was your fault. They said they blame you.
Message 7 of 54
latest reply

Seems kinda racist and sexist to assume that all foreign reps are treating women badly.

Maybe it's the personality of the caller that causes the condescending attitude.
Message 8 of 54
latest reply

the countries that the men are in, women are treated as inferior, property, and not given the same rights as men

You're female, right?  ^^^ That applies to all patriarchal nations, including the USA.

The only offshore call center for eBay is located in The Philippines, where divorce is not possible and the dictator executes people.  You can always exercise your option to disconnect and call back.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 9 of 54
latest reply

I don’t get philippine accents on the calls, can you supply evidence to support ? And honestly every person should be treated respectfully, it’s customer service
Message 10 of 54
latest reply

Hmmm Normally I do not think about it, until it is obvious and another US make ebay representative agrees and tells me it’s why having an Anchor store is good. 

Message 11 of 54
latest reply

@pvcliffwrote:

I've only had to call twice and both times I got a semi-helpful female. Unlike most folks, I like when I get outsourced customer service because when I tell them my name is Cliff they believe me (my husband set up this selling account).

Make me remember the TV ad where the foreign customer rep gave his name as Peggy.   Smiley Very Happy

Message 12 of 54
latest reply

@calistas_closet33wrote:

I find the foreign CS reps to be way nicer than the US CS reps overall. I'm a guy so the males will treat me different than they would a female, due to their culture. In the US, I noticed that the new CS call centers in the US have very poorly educated reps. I'm not talking job skill education either. I'm talking overall education. 

Message 13 of 54
latest reply

It's common knowledge, but feel free to google it.

And honestly every person should be treated respectfully, it’s customer service

No one disagrees with you about that, but that was not your initial argument.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 14 of 54
latest reply

*male, sorry for typo. 

I have rarely brought up discrimination in my life, I built and sold a company and have been hugely successful compensated more then 99% of the population before selling. But the condescension is very obvious and it’s onky from men not based in the USA based on my experience.  Typically women are each other’s worse enemy in the workplace...and women are excellent, reps in texas great..i forget where last rep in US was located, be he was great too. Why are you so quick to be not nice? Did I offend you personally? Amy post was meant as an experience not a personal insult. Was your reply?

Message 15 of 54
latest reply