cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else find foreign based male representatives demeaning?

I’ve learned that non US based male customer support agents are somewhat condescending and dismissive of me, and I’m thinking it’s because I’m a woman and any female I speak with US or abroad is typically very helpful. I spoke with a US representative about the issue, a male, and he confirmed my suspicions of the fact that in the countries that the men are in, women are treated as inferior, property, and not given the same rights as men.

So I won’t even talk to another male representative if I can clearly tell he is in the middle east or south asia because it’s like banging my head against the wall. One representative was arguing with me because he didn’t think I should speak with a supervisor...this has happened more than one occasion. It’s really bad and I typically do not feel discriminated against ever as I worked in a male dominated industry quite well and treated as an equal. Only way to guarantee a US representative is to have an Anchor store.

Anyone else experience? Any men feel the same way? Or is it gender related or just residing in the USA?

Message 1 of 54
latest reply
53 REPLIES 53

Re: Anyone else find foreign based male representatives demeaning?

Thank you. It’s a cultural issue. That was my point. Unfortunately it makes my job much harder to get an issue solved. I have hung up called back and gotten a female and resolution. It’s my experience and once twice not so bad, but when 90% of the time, and sellers constantly recommend on discussion boards to get a US rep, etc...it seems like ebay should address the cultural issues, surely in the USA I can get sued for any discriminatory behavior in business. I appreciate your insight, opinion and experience and that you replied nicely, as we all should. Thx!😉
Message 16 of 54
latest reply

Random thoughts.

I think I called ebay one time in 18 years with 14,000 plus transactions. Honestly I can't even remember why I called.

If I can't handle these little problems myself, that arise I'll stop selling on ebay.

From reading the boards and having lived and learned about life away from ebay, If a customer service rep is a doofus, or a woman hater, or whatever todays particiular issue is.......

Ask for a supervisor. Seems simple.

I hope Loyola wins it all.

Girls are mean. Not all girls, Just the ones I know.
Message 17 of 54
latest reply

I did ask for a supervisor and the rep argued with me that I didn’t need to speak with one. Honestly now that I think of it the supervisor called from 801 area code as a confused follow up. I wonder if they use utah area code for foreign call centers or if i’m just very unlucky with who I get on the phone. But twice I was told no supervisor, like supervisor maxi instead of soup nazi from seinfeld 🤣
Message 18 of 54
latest reply

I had almost 4000 transactions this year, women’s fashion. it’s difficult.
Message 19 of 54
latest reply

this year meaning past 12 months. i wish this year 

Message 20 of 54
latest reply

No, as a guy I don't see this issue but it is totally plausible.  Some parts of the world have radically different ideas about how to treat women.  We are just scratching the surface on all of the problems caused by outsourcing customer support.  We take things for granted as common knowledge that they don't.  Remember the Indians who did not understand the letter 'O' for the number zero?

Message 21 of 54
latest reply

i have had pleasant interactions with foreign accents before, I do not discriminate. Getting discriminated against is the issue I have. Full picture. It’s not a hobby, I sell upwards of 4000 orders in the past 12 months. i’ve been selling for 18 mos. I’m a business person, entrepreneur and work very hard. I treat everyone with respect until they give me reason not to. Being dismissed when a buyer extorts me and told to just see how it goes and take a few days to think about it is demeaning and it’s not professional. Hobbiests may not care, but it’s my money that pays for merchandise and extortion is a violation of ebay policy. Called back, after two men, female answered and problem solved. It made me reflect on all my interactions and then other sellers say called during the day to get US rep...in a reply to me and Im wondering if there is an issue why isn’t it addressed. But it’s clear I hit either a gender or ethnic nerve and it was not the intention. It has been my experience. I have a lot of work and wasting time trying to get a buyer who extorted more than just me removed to make it safe for other sellers is something I do on a sense of wanting the system to be fair, for others not to be cheated too. But I realize some of the alleged sellers responding do not feel the same sense of community, probably why buyers get away with all sorts of abuse. I’m good now, I think I get it. 

Message 22 of 54
latest reply

Also you have more replies on the seller board than feedback as a seller. It will be difficult to understand if your volume is so low as a seller.
Message 23 of 54
latest reply

Do you sell anything? Or just post on seller boards?
Message 24 of 54
latest reply

You have zero listings. I am starting to see that many just like to post on seller boards and not sell. You have sold items, yes. But seriously?
Message 25 of 54
latest reply

@calistas_closet33wrote:
Also you have more replies on the seller board than feedback as a seller. It will be difficult to understand if your volume is so low as a seller.

Don't make assumptions about the experience and knowledge of posters here based on the feedback profiles of the IDs they're using to post here.  Many posters use "posting IDs"

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 26 of 54
latest reply

seems kind of silly to hide identity, since there should be nothing to hide
Message 27 of 54
latest reply

you don’t hide your identity. It’s because you are an established seller
Message 28 of 54
latest reply

@calistas_closet33wrote:
seems kind of silly to hide identity, since there should be nothing to hide

Which of their accounts would you require them to use on a discussion board?   Selling account one, two, three, four, five, or six?   I know members who work that many selling accounts.   I know members who use three accounts strictly for their purchases here as well.   Would one of those be OK with you, or would that mean they couldn't possibly be a long-time and successful seller here?

Message 29 of 54
latest reply

@calistas_closet33wrote:
you don’t hide your identity. It’s because you are an established seller

Actually this is only my clearance and low price item ID, not my primary selling ID.

I had to abandon this as my primary ID back in 2003 due to auction interference directly resulting from my posting on these community boards.

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 30 of 54
latest reply