cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping to different request

Buyer as asked via eBay messing to ship to a different address on eBay and PayPal both.
Buyers address on eBay and PayPal is in OH but they are asking to ship to an address CO.

They are claiming...

"On the shipping address I placed last night, it added the wrong address. Could you please send it to XXXXXX Lakewood CO. I have been having issues with somebody going in and changing my shipping address."

Red flags? Am I SOL if they file a INR and lose all seller protection I have?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

@passedexpirationwrote:

Buyer as asked via eBay messing to ship to a different address on eBay and PayPal both.
Buyers address on eBay and PayPal is in OH but they are asking to ship to an address CO.

They are claiming...

"On the shipping address I placed last night, it added the wrong address. Could you please send it to XXXXXX Lakewood CO. I have been having issues with somebody going in and changing my shipping address."

Red flags? Am I SOL if they file a INR and lose all seller protection I have?

IMHO, yes.  Yes, you will be SOL if an INR  if filed.  Ask the buyer to correct the shipping address before paying (or if she paid, refund and tell them to repay with the correct shipping address.  If he/she knew the shipping address was incorrect, he/she could have made the correction then.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Is the message linked from the item?  Is the ID the same?  Or do they in some way directly mention the item itself, by name?

There has been a rash of 'messages from buyers' trying to redirect things they never bought.  And videogame stuff is very high on the list of things scammers try to redirect in that manner.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

I'm sure someone else better versed at this will be along to advise, but I think this is a 'cancel due to address' problem, block and refund.

Oh well, back to the slow typist corner.  Smiley Sad

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

The message is directly linked from the item itself and buyer of the item.

I would think eBay being able to see this request would side with me in the cae of an INR, but I trust next to nothing with eBay and letting buyers run rampant and attain items free on the backs of sellers

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Dear buyer,

I'm sorry I cannot honor your request.  According to eBay & PayPal protocol, I must ship to the address that was provided at the time of payment.

What we will need to do is to cancel that transaction.  I will then re-list it and you can repurchase.  I suggest you immediately go into both your PayPal & eBay accounts, verify that the correct address is there, and then change your passwords.

Let me know when you've done this and I'll launch the re-list and provide you with a new listing number.

If the buyer takes you up on your offer to relist/repurchase, you can always re-list it at a much higher price with Make Offer.  That way you can control who purchases it.

Was this the auction that just finished for $115 + shipping?  No way would I change the address and give up protection against an Item Not Received claim for that item/category.  If it was a $15 stapler, I wouldn't hesitate.

@passedexpiration

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

It was the item that ended by aution last night for $100+ shipping.

I'm going to contact eBay in a bit and get no where, but likely this is going to be refunded and relisted.
Not playing games with buyers who can't properly handle their account addresses on not one but two different accounts. Just not happening

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@passedexpirationwrote:

I would think eBay being able to see this request would side with me in the cae of an INR, but I trust next to nothing with eBay and letting buyers run rampant and attain items free on the backs of sellers

eBay may side with you because of the message, but PayPal won't, and they trump eBay when it comes to refunds.  That's the policy I follow.

And the one who trumps that all is the buyer's credit card provider.  The buyer would win an unauthorized use chargeback in a heartbeat as you have no proof of shipping to the address provided with payment.   To win an unauthorized use claim, you don't have to have proof of delivery but proof of shipping to the buyer's actual address.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

The explanation that "someone" keeps going in and changing their address is the part that really bothers me.    I wouldn't do it in this situation.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@passedexpirationwrote:

It was the item that ended by aution last night for $100+ shipping.

I'm going to contact eBay in a bit and get no where, but likely this is going to be refunded and relisted.
Not playing games with buyers who can't properly handle their account addresses on not one but two different accounts. Just not happening

DO NOT CONTACT EBAY.  They will tell you that it's okay to ship to the address in the message because they can see it.  That won't hold up with PayPal though.  The buyer would win a PayPal claim.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

If it is a cheap item not a big deal, you have every chance of them saying they did not get it. I would personally tell them you are going to have to refund (use the something wrong with the buyer's address option) and refund from the ebay area, not just from paypal. Then tell the buyer to correct the address in both places and they can rebuy. You can even type something like On Hold For and their ebay name if you really want to, or just let them take their chances. You are not going to be covered if they say it does not get to them, they could probably pull that for either address. 

If they are having issues with someone else changing their address....... goodl luck. The messages might help you, but why ask for a problem? That is THEIR responsibility to get their info right. 

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@passedexpirationwrote:

Anyone can send a message directly linked to the item and that is why the scam mentioned is so successful. If you aren’t paying attention, you don’t notice that the user ID who sent the message is not the user ID that bought the item. So, just to confirm, the user ID on the message is the same as yours buyers right?

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 12 of 12
latest reply