cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I the only idiot that ever made this mistake?

I made a listing for an item with a low opening bid of $10.95 to get things going. but I used a template set with buy it now, spaced out and didn't notice and some keen buyer saw it and grabbed itwithin an hour. I own my mistakes, its getting shipped this morning and probably not a huge loss.........

But the time it took to list is gone gone gone. Good lesson to stick to selling your specialty(this was not that)

tobiasness

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Am I the only idiot that ever made this mistake?

That's one reason I have avoided using Sell Similar universally.  It almost always leads to some type of mistake, not often that bad (sorry), but still usually wrong details or something.

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

I have made more boneheaded mistakes over the years than I care to remember.

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

Priced a $20.00 stamp at $2.00 and it sold in about 2 minutes.   

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

Yep, at least twice a year

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

Way back in the day that used to be a bit of a game. Finding items that were clearly buy it now mistakes and buying them. But it was all dial-up then so it was a race with others playing the same game.

I would occasionally "win" one. Some would honour their mistake while others would say sorry no way. You just let it go then as you knew it was a mistake. But now buyers are a bit meaner, the seller would get a neg every time.

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

I use sell similar only from my own listings but yeah, I've shot myself in the foot a few times with my prices not being right. Tough lesson to learn sometimes, but you are, at the very least, not alone! 

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

I once listed a Real Photo postcard of a "South Seas Cannibal"  for $15.

Without noticing that he was carrying a human head!

It sold to the French New Hebrides within minutes.

At least it went home.

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

Two things here.

#1. Don't have any free shipping templates, put free shipping on an item manually or have a free shipping business policy and you will never end up giving free shipping by accident.

#2. If you never run auctions then you won't ever accidentally auction anything. 98 percent of the items auctioned on this site are commodity items that are not appropriate for auction format.

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

I once listed a Real Photo postcard of a "South Seas Cannibal"  for $15.

Without noticing that he was carrying a human head!

It sold to the French New Hebrides within minutes.

At least it went home.

😲

Francopolynesian cooking - yum yum, tastes like chicken!

Mine is forgetting to change shipping for a cheap thing from priority to first class and ending up paying the buyer to take it off my hands.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 10 of 25
latest reply

You are not alone!

A while back I bought 20 pieces of pretty rare railroad china at an auction, 5 different types. No ebay history on some so I was listing them as auctions. The best piece I put a start price of $129 on  and guess what?, it sold within minutes. Yes, I mistakenly listed as BIN. Within minutes another buyer messaged me saying he missed that one was it really sold, etc.

Sent him a message back explaining what I'd done and that I was going to list another auction style (I had 5 of these), he says if you want to sell it now I'll give you $400. Well OK then , sold him one and sold the rest for $395 BIN

Sorta hurt my feelings to sell the first for $129 but the fact that I was in them for about $30 each eased my pain a little

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

I consider this proof that there are MANY users scouring the site for bargains.

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

@tobiasness   No, u r not the only idiot. Many, including myself, have made the same/similar and others.

When i first started selling, I use to print all my shipping labels at once, which resulted in me sending the wrong package to the wrong buyer a few times. So i stopped doing that and only print one at a time.

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

IMG_1820.gif
Didn’t Reebok do something like this here like tens of thousands of times and they got a bunch of sales and didn’t fill any of them. They ended up getting floods of negatives that got scrubbed by eBay.

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

Good story thanks. My mistake wasn't as pricey as yours! haha but sounds like you made out just fine.

Message 15 of 25
latest reply