cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Already burned out from babysitting my listings!!!

Anyone else already feeling extremely burned out from having to "babysit" listings to end them before they auto renew? Feeling defeated by the GTC movement from hell.

I missed a day of babysiting. Because I have a life outside of eBay. When my whole family is sick, I don't think about checking my ebay account to check the countdown clock and manually cancel listings. And lo and behold! 26 listings auto renewed when I DIDNT WANT THEM TO! Goodbye the rest of my 50 free listings and HELLO FEES!

Anyone else exhausted by GTC and hating eBay right now?!

Message 1 of 53
latest reply
52 REPLIES 52

Re: Already burned out from babysitting my listings!!!

@around-the-block wrote:
Yep more work for less profits. Who is the real idiot here. Not ebay, it is clearly us for continuing to use them. This should be my last year on Ebay if I can just get through the last of this inventory. Of course with the number of buyers in absolute freefall (I don't blame them, I NEVER buy on ebay either) it could take me 10 years to get through this inventory. Ebay has ruined this for me and made it totally suck. I want nothing to do with ebay anymore, buying or selling. If this was ebay's goal with the GTC than congrats I guess. I don't understand why you would want less sellers, less items for sale per seller and less buyers. That seems really really dumb, but of course I have never been in charge of a failing corporation before so what do I know.

You say you NEVER buy on ebay yet you sell here and expect others to buy from you? Seems like more than a little disconnect there imho

Message 16 of 53
latest reply

@auctionpet wrote:
Yup, all is working as ebay planned. Sellers tired of babysitting listings, trying to lead a life and those listings auto renewing with ebay hoping they'll generate fees rather than come out of your listing supply.

Since ebay can't seem to attract enough buyers to generate fvf's, they hope to pick pocket the sellers when your items relist while your looking the other way!

Yep, its the new Ebay. Bleed whats left. 100% not sustainable and entirely scummy.  There is adapting to change that benefits all involved and then there is adapting to change because the change only benefits the person instituting the changes, at the cost of of the other side.

Businesses need to adapt, and at some point that adapting might include kicking the person forcing the adaptation to the curb.

Message 17 of 53
latest reply

GTC is ABSOLUTELY ridiculous. (I have a main selling account, which this one is not)  It's more extra work, and less profit.  What a waste of time having to constantly check to make sure you cancel before it renews.  On weeks when I am very busy, I wound up canceling my listings up to 5 days early, just to not have to worry about it.  That's FIVE DAYS of NOT having viable listings listed that otherwise could have been listed more time, possibly getting sold.  Now they just sit in the unsold folder instead.  And the worst of it is, that the last 5 days are often the BEST for selling. 

FURTHERMORE, now, I only list once or twice a month, instead of having a few listings go up (and down) every few days.  I am NOT sitting babysitting listings every day to see if they are ending soon, so it makes the listing process EXTREMELY inefficient .  But that also made me lose sales, as there are times I would have otherwise listed new items, but now, won't as I don't want listings that I have to babysit all month listing every couple days.  It's ridiculous, as that was a great way to sell.  But it is what it is.

Also, I buy less on EBAY now too, as I am in "get rid of" mode instead of "lets see what I can add to inventory" mode.   And that hurts other sellers too, as EBAY forgets that sellers are ALSO buyers. 

But what can you do when they FORCE this nonsense on you.  It's less money for me, and less money for EBAY. 

Message 18 of 53
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

@havemyfaves wrote:

I use TurboLister and have been starting all my listings on the same day.

So for now my babysitting schedule is limited to one day a month.

lucky - I'm sure many sellers do the same thing - but as a small seller - I've been told to list something everyday to show Ebay my account is active and why I would rotate items especially if I didn't have anything new to list. Is this another fallacy that sellers' accounts should be active everyday?

Message 19 of 53
latest reply

I completely agree. I’ve been cancelling listings 2,3,4,5 days early if I know I likely won’t check the timers. This time I forgot to end those 20+ listings. 

Plus, I do all my selling on my mobile device. I hardly EVER open up my laptop. But I’m forced to now because the mobile version doesn’t give you the countdown clock for renewal. They don’t even give you a date! I hate using the desktop seller hub. Parts of it still looks like it was created in 1995.

Before GTC, I loved the mobile version for selling! Super easy and quick to create new listings and manage everything. It was awesome. But about a month ago, same time as GTC, they went and changed the mobile functionalities so that it’s harder to list and manage. So, not only do I hate using seller hub, I hate the mobile app now too!!!

I hope ebay is feeling the same loss that we are feeling. 

Message 20 of 53
latest reply

@havemyfaves wrote:

Anyone else already feeling extremely burned out from having to "babysit" listings to end them before they auto renew? Feeling defeated by the GTC movement from hell.

I missed a day of babysiting. Because I have a life outside of eBay. When my whole family is sick, I don't think about checking my ebay account to check the countdown clock and manually cancel listings. And lo and behold! 26 listings auto renewed when I DIDNT WANT THEM TO! Goodbye the rest of my 50 free listings and HELLO FEES!

Nope.  I check eBay every morning while I'm waiting for my morning coffee to brew to see if I have any sales/messages/etc., then scan what's ending today and decide whether I want to let it keep going or end it.  It takes less time to do that than it does for my pot of coffee to brew.

Message 21 of 53
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

Continuing to gripe gets us no where...

"Griping" (or FREE SPEECH) is VERY important Freedom of expression is a fundamental human right. It reinforces all other human rights, allowing society to develop and progress. The ability to express our opinion and speak freely is essential to bring about change in society. JMO

Good luck to ALL the small sellers out there!
Message 22 of 53
latest reply

@tunicaslot wrote:

@luckythewinner wrote:

@havemyfaves wrote:

I use TurboLister and have been starting all my listings on the same day.

So for now my babysitting schedule is limited to one day a month.

lucky - as a small seller - I've been told to list something everyday to show Ebay my account is active

This is a GREAT point! Listing 3-5 listings (if you are a small seller) every couple days is VERY important to make your shop look active and "fresh" with NEW products.

Message 23 of 53
latest reply

@havemyfaves wrote:

I completely agree. I’ve been cancelling listings 2,3,4,5 days early if I know I likely won’t check the timers. This time I forgot to end those 20+ listings. 

Sorry but that's the "GOT YA FEE" in action.

Message 24 of 53
latest reply

"You said it...thank you
Using this Forum as a way to educate and gain insight that would HELP me to succeed...But when lead to reading complaints such as this, I am reminded about just how lazy today's American workforce has become...

eBay may need to create "How to" videos for those that choose NOT TO read, learn and operate...Cheers"
Message 25 of 53
latest reply

@popeye3165 wrote:

@dhbookds wrote:

"Griping" (or FREE SPEECH) is VERY important Freedom of expression is a fundamental human right. It reinforces all other human rights, allowing society to develop and progress. The ability to express our opinion and speak freely is essential to bring about change in society. JMO

@popeye3165 

Actually I would say it is exact opposite of what you wrote and for many reasons that I cannot get into here.

Message 26 of 53
latest reply

@tunicaslot wrote:

I've been told to list something everyday to show Ebay my account is active 

{snip}

Is this another fallacy that sellers' accounts should be active everyday?

IMHO fallacies about search placement and visibility are posted on this board every single day. 

IMHO too many sellers are fixated on their Best Match search placement when they should be focused on their Price - Lowest First placement. 

Message 27 of 53
latest reply

@popeye3165 wrote:

@dhbookds wrote:

No one suggested that you did not have the right to gripe. 

But I would suggest progress and change in society generally come from motivated people actually doing something, not just posting about it. 

Message 28 of 53
latest reply

I have always had the habit of signing into each of my IDs first thing every morning to see if anything needs attention.  So now I have tweaked my process to include glancing at my ending soonest column to see if anything needs to be manually ended. 

I guess I've always babysitted (is that a word?) my listings to some extent or another. 

Message 29 of 53
latest reply

Not happy with the GTC format.

I don't have a store and only use the free listings.

Last month when GTC started, I read a lot of sellers waiting to the 29th day to cancel so that their listings don't auto renew.

I decided to make it easier on me.

I list in groupings in one day.

I received 200 free listings. I listed about 100 items the first day of the offer and the balance of free listings on the last day of the offer. I list my free 50 listings in groupings too.

This month, I had only 6 due dates of GTC listings that I have to cancelled.

I am not checking daily to end listings.

This will end when eBay has their in-house payment and I will be gone.

I have my shops on e crater  and e.bid and not having all the hassles and sending my shop names listed on the packing slips from the sales on eBay.

Message 30 of 53
latest reply