cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A lot of buyers dont leave feedback. Why?

I have 100% good feedbck and i dont always get feedback left after i sell something to a buyer. I leave feedback for every transaction as a seller and as a buyer. I think it's a good policy to do so. How come people dont return feedback after they recieve the item? I would have a much higher score then i do if everyone would leave feedback.  I dont think the reason they left no feedback was because an item was bad cause they would of filed a complaint. So is it bad practice to remind or ask  a buyer to leave feedback if they havent?   Or can that cause me to get negative feedback you think?  or is it just plain tacky?

thanks 

Message 1 of 52
latest reply
51 REPLIES 51

Re: A lot of buyers dont leave feedback. Why?

As a buyer, I hate getting feedback. That huge number reminds me I am an obsessive compulsive who buys too much stuff. I'm embarassed for other people to see it! Also, if if I do a rough guess of say, times $4.00 for postage on each purchase, it makes me hate the post office.

I think ebay should do it's own generated FB for buyers. X = number of purchases made and X = number of purchases returned/complained about. That's all sellers need. There's another E site where you can't leave buyers FB. They don't really need it.

I rarely leave it for sellers, but sometimes leave a "zillion" at a time. The only ones who don't get any FB are those I was not real happy with. Unfortunately, also by that time I have forgotten who sent extra gifts, or had special wrapping that made me smile when I opened the package. I'm sorry, sellers. Guess I'm just a bad person.

As a seller, I love positive FB. I don't worry though, if I don't get any. The only time I would like more, is if/when my stars get dinged and I need more positive to sort of bring it back up. I think that's how it works. I'm not a high volume seller.

Message 31 of 52
latest reply

@old-child wrote:

I think ebay should do it's own generated FB for buyers. X = number of purchases made and X = number of purchases returned/complained about. That's all sellers need. There's another E site where you can't leave buyers FB. They don't really need it.

What I mean is: That's all sellers need to determine if they are getting / have gotten involved with a problematic buyer.

Message 32 of 52
latest reply

Be careful what you wish for.  I made the mistake of asking a buyer for feedback some years ago. Guess the buyer was having a bad day and I got a Neutral in return, even though it was undeserved.  As a rule now, I generally leave a positive feedback for the buyer on the day the item is to arrive, unless the little hairs are standing up on the back of my neck. For sellers, I leave positive feedback as soon as I receive and inspect the item.

Even though feedback no longer affects your score, it is still seen by potential buyers. Would you purchase an item from a problematic seller, even if it was well priced ?

Message 33 of 52
latest reply

Some buyers re sell the item and dont want the price they paid showing that is what I was

told a few years ago .. That was a buyers response to me..

I dont ask anymore. I leave feedback as soon as the pay me..

Message 34 of 52
latest reply

@dirk12955 wrote:
Feedback is harmless and takes me about 3 seconds to do it for a buyer.

I've always been of the opinion that I'll go ahead and do it. Then I don't run the risk of offending an eBay feedback maniac going off the rails.

I understand, but it's just sad that you have to post it in fears that that could happen.

Message 35 of 52
latest reply

@dirk12955 wrote:
Feedback is harmless and takes me about 3 seconds to do it for a buyer.

I've always been of the opinion that I'll go ahead and do it. Then I don't run the risk of offending an eBay feedback maniac going off the rails.

I understand.  It's just sad that anyone has to live in fear of that happening.

Message 36 of 52
latest reply

Imagine being pestered every time you leave a real store, to give a review or rating. 

Feedback on the internet has outlived its usefulness.

We're here for the money, not recognition.

Message 37 of 52
latest reply

Other posters have mentioned some of the reasons buyers don't leave feedback as much as they did several years ago. 

I will discuss some of the reasons that we do not see mentioned so often.

Buyers who read the discussion boards may get the impression that FEEDBACK is no longer important.  If it is not important, they there is no need to waste time leaving feedback.

Buyers see sellers saying such things as these, and that causes some buyers to not leave feedback as much as they did before:

"Feedback is no longer needed, and feedback for buyers is useless". 

"Buyers have no incentive to leave feedback".

"As a seller I reciprocate feedback.  I want to know the  buyer is happy before I leave feedback for the buyer".

My comments:

I agree that feedback for buyers and sellers is not as useful as it once was, BUT ....

The facts are that feedback is still useful for buyers and sellers. 
Buyers still have an incentive to leave feedback - which is to let other buyers know about the seller.

Sellers have good reasons to leave feedback - which are: 
1.  It causes buyers to leave feedback for sellers more often than they would if many sellers did not leave feedback.

2.  It avoids causing some buyers to be dissatisfied because the buyer thought the seller did not think the buyer deserved a positive feedback. 
Message 38 of 52
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

Do buyers leave feedback at Walmart.com?  Target.com? Macys.com?  Any one of a million other retail websites?

Or in other words, yesterday I went to the petrol station to get some gas. Do I really need to have an opinion about it?

If something is really outstanding, or really bad, ok, then yes. 

I think it's really overrated. 

Test your eBay search rank: https://ranktool.bid
Message 39 of 52
latest reply

@rjmasc49 wrote:

Some buyers re sell the item and dont want the price they paid showing that is what I was

I leave feedback when I ship. That way you can avoid folks like this:

9caf7ef4f602a663bef9fe902807a01f

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 40 of 52
latest reply

@old-child wrote:

As a buyer, I hate getting feedback. That huge number reminds me I am an obsessive compulsive who buys too much stuff. I'm embarassed for other people to see it! Also, if if I do a rough guess of say, times $4.00 for postage on each purchase, it makes me hate the post office.

This was a very interesting post to me.  I hadn't even thought about the buyers out there that might not want feedback.  As a seller, I rush to give feedback as soon as I'm paid to avoid annoying buyers that want that positive for their total...but I've completely ignored thinking of those that might not want it.

IAll the more reason to do away with this antiquated feature altogether.

Message 41 of 52
latest reply

OMG.

Message 42 of 52
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

@rjmasc49 wrote:

I leave feedback when I ship. That way you can avoid folks like this:

9caf7ef4f602a663bef9fe902807a01f

That is just...sad.

Message 43 of 52
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

Many now purchase as a "guest", and leave no feedback.

This is true.  I don't think they can leave feedback as a guest.

Message 44 of 52
latest reply

I think leaving feedback is generally the right thing to do, and sensible. But we live in a world where that has gone out the window. So I settle for getting feedback 33 percent of the time.
Message 45 of 52
latest reply