cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2nd case opened on one item.

A buyer contacted me about receiving an empty package and opened a case for a refund. The buyer sent photos which showed the item was ripped open and was empty. I contacted ebay about it and they closed the case in my favor since tracking confirmed that the item was delivered.

Now the buyer has opened a return request claiming the item is "defective or not working".  Now what happens since ebay did close the case in my favor?

Message 1 of 164
latest reply
163 REPLIES 163

Re: 2nd case opened on one item.

How could it be 'defective or not working' if she didn't receive it?

I think this would be one of those cases where you would call CS and have them close it for abuse of the MBG, wouldn't it?

Besides, I didn't think the buyer could open a second case on ebay for the same transaction.  Looks like you may have a lot of calling to do since the buyer will still have a couple of tries at getting the money back.

Perhaps you could just respond with 'return for full refund'?

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 2 of 164
latest reply

I didn't think they could open a second case either. The first request was just for a refund. Now they have opened a return request. Ebay assured me that since the tracking information confirmed the item was delivered that I would be protected in this case. They also told me not to do anything else and that they would contact the buyer to let them know the case was closed. They said if I received negative feedback it would be removed.
I'm going to wait til tomorrow and contact ebay again and hopefully since they already confirmed it was delivered, they will close this case again. I don't see how I can accept a return for an item she doesn't have! I'm assuming if ebay makes me accept a return I can possibly appeal it for receiving an empty package as well.
The seller is accusing me of not sealing the poly mailer but when she sent pictures you could clearly see that it was ripped open on the back. Why would anyone have to rip the back of the poly mailer open if it wasn't sealed?
Message 3 of 164
latest reply

Many years ago a buyer did the same thing to me:

Here's the thread, the rest doesn't really apply to you until page 5:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Archive-Selling/Buyer-is-leaving-for-vacation/td-p/19772736/page/5

"All buyers are always offered the option to change an INR to a SNAD. (Now received, although not as described) some wording to that effect.

I also, didn't know what to do...but there's some useful information there from @starroute-us and a few others.

I had to contact postmasters, police departments and all sorts of ridiculous stuff.

Good Luck

Message 4 of 164
latest reply

A buyer absolutely can

- start a second case for Not As Described on the same transaction

- after the item arrived for a first case for Item Not Received.

You see your options to resolve the return request:

- Accept the return and pay for a return label,

- refund now with no return required, or

- offer a partial refund with no return which your buyer can decline.

If you don't resolve this within 3 business days, i.e. by Thursday, your buyer can ask eBay to step in starting Friday and earn you a defect.

eBay will not change the reason for the return even if it's obviously wrong, if you call. You will be refunding, whether or not you get the poly mailer back.

Message 5 of 164
latest reply

That's pretty exciting that you won that case!
The buyer in my situation made a comment in the SNAD case saying "I received an empty bag! MAKE IT RIGHT!" I'm hoping that was maybe a mistake on her part since she's claiming it's SNAD. I know most of the people in these threads say the buyer can change it from INR to SNAD and still win. But since she made that comment I'm hoping it will be to my benefit. I guess I'll find out in the morning.
Thanks for the help!
Message 7 of 164
latest reply

I'm hoping that was maybe a mistake on her part since she's claiming it's SNAD.

--------------------------------------------

If the buyer received an empty package, it is SNAD.

The buyer should have filed a SNAD claim in the first place and not INR.

Message 8 of 164
latest reply

That's what I was thinking.  If the buyer really did receive an empty box, they opened the wrong case to begin with.

Message 9 of 164
latest reply

That buyer should have opened an item not as described case to begin with.

Tracking would have shown that she DID receive something, so an item not received case would have bee thrown out. 

Have never heard of a buyer being able to open a second case with eBay.  Was the second case opened with Paypal?

Message 10 of 164
latest reply

If buyers receive something, even if it's just an empty package, they will always lose INR if tracking shows delivered.

So, the correct claim to file is a SNAD because an empty package or an item not as described is not what the buyer purchased.

Message 11 of 164
latest reply

I believe ebay allows for two different cases to be opened under certain circumstances.  For instance, if I filed a INR case because it was 2 weeks late, and then received the item, but discovered it was not as described.   This sounds like what the buyer did.  It could be legitimate, so ebay has to have a process for this occurance. 

As with most protections, though, there is always the possibility for abuse. 

Message 12 of 164
latest reply

I get it, they did not receive it, but wait, they did receive it.  BALONEY, call Ebay and get that case closed.

Message 13 of 164
latest reply

Oh, come on now. This person first makes claims of an EMPTY ripped opened package with nothing in it and them goes back and files a SNAD on something they did not receive. Read between the lines. 

Message 14 of 164
latest reply

I guess they found it on their porch after it was ripped open and empty. LOL.

Message 15 of 164
latest reply