cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2nd case opened on one item.

A buyer contacted me about receiving an empty package and opened a case for a refund. The buyer sent photos which showed the item was ripped open and was empty. I contacted ebay about it and they closed the case in my favor since tracking confirmed that the item was delivered.

Now the buyer has opened a return request claiming the item is "defective or not working".  Now what happens since ebay did close the case in my favor?

Message 1 of 164
latest reply
163 REPLIES 163

Re: 2nd case opened on one item.

You have a good point. Maybe they know something I don't about the buyer.
Message 151 of 164
latest reply

@equid0x wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@equid0x wrote:

@fern*wood wrote:

I believe ebay allows for two different cases to be opened under certain circumstances.  For instance, if I filed a INR case because it was 2 weeks late, and then received the item, but discovered it was not as described.   This sounds like what the buyer did.  It could be legitimate, so ebay has to have a process for this occurance. 

As with most protections, though, there is always the possibility for abuse. 

eBay doesn't give a **bleep** which case was opened.  They will let the customer open 6 cases if the customer feels its necessary.

@equid0x 

Are you trying to trick us?!?!?  Smiley Surprised  In your post [#115] right before this one you stated "By the rules... buyer should not be able to open a second case."  [which is accurate, but not the point]

Then in the above post you stated "They will let the customer open 6 cases if the customer feels its necessary."

??????????????????

Nobody's tricking you. EBay doesn't follow it's own published policies and hasn't been for some time now.

My question to you has NOTHING to do with what the Ebay policy is.  It was about what you said.  In one post you say they can't open 2 claims and then in your post right after that you said they could open several.  Ebay didn't make those two statements, you did.  Therefore I asked you what I did above.

I know the Ebay policy, that is not an issue and the buyer in this particular case had every right to open the INR and then once that was closed, they opened a SNAD.  Buyers are allowed to do that.  Just because you file an INR and the item finally arrives doesn't mean there isn't something wrong with the item.  It simply means the item arrived and therefore the INR is closed.  So if there is an issue with the item, then the buyer still has the right to open A single SNAD.  Buyers are NEVER allowed to open multiple SNADs on the same item purchased.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 152 of 164
latest reply

@beardedbovine wrote:

@shopkiger wrote:
 I wouldn't have spent hours and hours here if I wouldn't have foolishly defended myself over and over again against somebody on the other end of a computer screen. I'm ashamed that I did for as long as I have.
I got an answer to my question days ago. I have to end it.

Knowing when to stop contributing to the back-and-forth will save your sanity... especially on this forum.

I agree with someone upthread who said they think the buyer may have opened too many claims which is why eBay is giving this a closer look instead of leaving it to the bots. I find your case interesting and I look forward to hearing the outcome.

@beardedbovine 

Buyers are allowed to open a INR as you know.  Once that INR is closed / item received.  The buyer can open a SNAD if necessary.  The INR doesn't have anything to do with if the product was correct, damaged or anything else.  It is simply for receiving the item.  Everything else is covered in the return request system.  Which is why buyers are allowed one INR and one SNAD per purchase if they are necessary.

Message 153 of 164
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@equid0x wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@equid0x wrote:

@fern*wood wrote:

I believe ebay allows for two different cases to be opened under certain circumstances.  For instance, if I filed a INR case because it was 2 weeks late, and then received the item, but discovered it was not as described.   This sounds like what the buyer did.  It could be legitimate, so ebay has to have a process for this occurance. 

eBay doesn't give a **bleep** which case was opened.  They will let the customer open 6 cases if the customer feels its necessary.

@equid0x 

Are you trying to trick us?!?!?  Smiley Surprised  In your post [#115] right before this one you stated "By the rules... buyer should not be able to open a second case."  [which is accurate, but not the point]

Then in the above post you stated "They will let the customer open 6 cases if the customer feels its necessary."

??????????????????

Nobody's tricking you. EBay doesn't follow it's own published policies and hasn't been for some time now.

My question to you has NOTHING to do with what the Ebay policy is.  It was about what you said.  In one post you say they can't open 2 claims and then in your post right after that you said they could open several.  Ebay didn't make those two statements, you did.  Therefore I asked you what I did above.

I know the Ebay policy, that is not an issue and the buyer in this particular case had every right to open the INR and then once that was closed, they opened a SNAD.  Buyers are allowed to do that.  Just because you file an INR and the item finally arrives doesn't mean there isn't something wrong with the item.  It simply means the item arrived and therefore the INR is closed.  So if there is an issue with the item, then the buyer still has the right to open A single SNAD.  Buyers are NEVER allowed to open multiple SNADs on the same item purchased.

There is no dichotomy in what I stated. The rules are they get one shot on eBay with the exception of INR. Plenty of threads posted here about CSRs opening additional cases when they weren't warranted and violated eBays policies.

I think my statements are pretty clear: by the rules they can't do that but eBay has been letting them do it anyways.

These boards and this site have become truly toxic in recent years.

Message 154 of 164
latest reply

@equid0x wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@equid0x wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@equid0x wrote:

@fern*wood wrote:

@equid0x 

??????????????????

There is no dichotomy in what I stated. The rules are they get one shot on eBay with the exception of INR. Plenty of threads posted here about CSRs opening additional cases when they weren't warranted and violated eBays policies.

I think my statements are pretty clear: by the rules they can't do that but eBay has been letting them do it anyways.

These boards and this site have become truly toxic in recent years.

OK, I'll call uncle on this one as it just isn't that important. 

Ebay does not allow multiple SNADs to be opened on a single purchase.  One INR [which has to be first] and one SNAD are allowed on a purchase in Ebay.  

Now a buyer can go to PP and open a claim if they paid with PP.  Ebay has no control over that.

Message 155 of 164
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@beardedbovine wrote:

@shopkiger wrote:
 I wouldn't have spent hours and hours here if I wouldn't have foolishly defended myself over and over again against somebody on the other end of a computer screen. I'm ashamed that I did for as long as I have.
I got an answer to my question days ago. I have to end it.

Knowing when to stop contributing to the back-and-forth will save your sanity... especially on this forum.

I agree with someone upthread who said they think the buyer may have opened too many claims which is why eBay is giving this a closer look instead of leaving it to the bots. I find your case interesting and I look forward to hearing the outcome.

@beardedbovine 

Buyers are allowed to open a INR as you know.  Once that INR is closed / item received.  The buyer can open a SNAD if necessary.  The INR doesn't have anything to do with if the product was correct, damaged or anything else.  It is simply for receiving the item.  Everything else is covered in the return request system.  Which is why buyers are allowed one INR and one SNAD per purchase if they are necessary.

@mam98031 

You're explaining something I already know and you misunderstood what I said. When I said "too many claims" I was referring to other transactions and the buyer's history. My comment had nothing to do with 2 requests filed on the same transaction. Perhaps my follow up post 149 will give you more context to what I was saying.

Message 156 of 164
latest reply

@shopkiger2 wrote:
How can an item be not as described if it wasn't received? For a buyer to be able to open both a INR case and SNAD case is just ridiculous and shouldn't be allowed. UNLESS the item was actually found and proven to in fact be not as described and was proven. But that seems like a very unlikely scenario.

It WAS received therefore that case is void and closed. The second case is because the buyer is now saying they received bag of air. The second case is a not as described case UNLESS you sold a bag of air.

Message 157 of 164
latest reply

@dare-2046 wrote:

brian@ebay wrote:

Hi @mam98031, there may be times where additional documentation is requested from a buyer to determine the appropriate next step in a case. If a seller has been notified we are waiting for more information from the buyer, then the seller wouldn't need to take any further action until told otherwise.

Um, this instead is the work-it-out period. eBay certainly is not waiting for more information from the buyer. Hence the buyer has wisely gone silent as this is not one of those there may be times.

If the buyer has the smarts to start a return request after a closed INR, the buyer also knows, perhaps better than eBay CS, how a return request proceeds. Meanwhile, we watch as the seller approaches a trip and fall.

Today, our buyer will finally break the silence @dare-2046 and respond:

https://ip1.i.lithium.com/713b6779f34ab18ee7314925f926a42b7962f9a7/68747470733a2f2f696d6167652e6962622e636f2f6363627a58652f696d6167652e6a7067

And eBay CS will have hoodwinked another malleable seller, good job.

Message 158 of 164
latest reply

Malleable? Or constructing reasons to avoid responsibility?

Message 159 of 164
latest reply

I know I've used two different ebay accounts on this thread but fashionflips and thriftflips are both me.
Ebay decided yesterday to give the buyer 10 additional days to contact them but she finally responded to me this evening. She explained why she hadn't responded and gave me a better explanation of what happened with her package. She was super friendly and was actually grateful that I called ebay and that they found a solution that would work out for both of us. Since they were adamant about her filing a police report for proof that her item was stolen I decided to just send the refund. Filing a police report for a sweatshirt would be embarrassing.
Message 160 of 164
latest reply

@shopkiger  @shopkiger2 

Just for future, you do want to be careful about posting on a thread with two or more IDs.  That is against the forum rules.  I know it is very easy to forget sometime and make an honest mistake as I'm sure was done here.  I just thought you should know, just it case you weren't aware.

Message 161 of 164
latest reply

Thanks for letting me know. I didn't realize it was against the rules. I didn't want to do it that way cause I don't want to confuse anyone but I'm always back and forth so much I tend to forget.
Message 162 of 164
latest reply

@shopkiger wrote:
Thanks for letting me know. I didn't realize it was against the rules. I didn't want to do it that way cause I don't want to confuse anyone but I'm always back and forth so much I tend to forget.

I was confident it was an honest mistake.  I just wanted you to know you need to exercise caution as they don't like that on the threads.

Message 163 of 164
latest reply

I wouldn’t worry about the ID mixup; it wasn’t intentional and you weren’t causing mischief. I had multiple IDs a number of years ago and finally just dumped the extras - couldn’t keep them straight. I wonder if you could solve the issue by adding taglines on the board (...It’s me! Thriftflips/Fashion-flips!...)?

Personally, I’m not surprised the buyer got refunded in the end.

Message 164 of 164
latest reply