cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2019 USPS Rate Summary for Priority Mail and First Class Mail

Here is my 2019 USPS Priority Mail and First Class Mail summary.  I created this for my own use and it is an incredibly helpful tool for me.  I'm sharing it here with anyone else who wants it.

Break-even amounts are calculated by dividing the Seller's cost by 0.871.  It ignores PayPal's $0.30 fee.

Ebay continues to charge buyers less than seller's cost for the flat-rate shipping amounts shown in the top box.  I have updated my flat rates to the purple amounts (break-even amounts).   You may wish to do the same. 

Enjoy!

Imgur link

Message 1 of 68
latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

Re: 2019 USPS Rate Summary for Priority Mail and First Class Mail

But as your chart shows, in most cases the buyer's payment is higher than the "break even" amount. If you ship 3 pounds to Zone 6 you lose 95 cents, but if you ship 3 ponds to Zone 7 you're ahead by $1.05, etc. So sellers probably come out ahead.

It would almost always be cheaper to ship via First Class and then pay $2.20 for insurance,  than to ship via Priority just to get the free insurance.

Message 31 of 68
latest reply

In the same manner that I insist that it's not fair to undercharge, I would readily forego the Buyer overcharge.  In fact, before the January 2019 First Class rate calculation change, I had a shipping method set up for every First Class bracket using the breakeven amount as the flat rate.  Exactly fair to the Buyer and the Seller.

I always learn something here.  You are right (of course!) -  I can buy $50 worth of insurance for $2.20.  I will factor that in and if the shipping cost difference between FC and PM is greater than that, it will go FC with $2.20 worth of insurance.  Thank you for that nugget!

Message 32 of 68
latest reply

Ebay's up to their same old tricks with USPS First Class Package International Service (FCPIS).  Here's the chart for anyone that finds these useful.  (I still just can't believe that Sellers aren't up in arms about this.)

Table removed at poster request - mod

Message 33 of 68
latest reply

>>Ebay's up to their same old tricks with USPS First Class Package International Service ...
>> (I still just can't believe that Sellers aren't up in arms about this.)

What tricks? Up in arms about what? I've gotten lost here.

FVF on International sale shipping is the FVF assessed on the lower of the cheapest non-1day domestic shipping option offered or the international rate, not the international shipping amount - looks like you are assessing FVF on the international amounts in the chart above.

If I missed the point entirely I'll go back to my corner.
Message 34 of 68
latest reply

@berserkerplanet wrote:
FVF on International sale shipping is the FVF assessed on the lower of the cheapest non-1day domestic shipping option offered or the international rate, not the international shipping amount - looks like you are assessing FVF on the international amounts in the chart above.

Boy, did I have some incorrect assumptions in that chart.  Wish I could just go back and delete that entire post so as to not mislead anyone else.  I didn't realize (obviously!) that Final Value Fees (FVF) are calculated differently on international shipping.   Actually, it is quite a relief to learn the actual method of calculation.  I feel so stupid but that is how we learn, right?  Thanks once again for setting me straight.

Message 35 of 68
latest reply

No problem. I forget that myself sometimes (since I don't ship internationally anymore I don't get reminded often).

You might self report your post there to the mods (options>>report inappropriate content) and ask them to remove the post (they don't often do that) or just the chart (might have more luck getting them to do that) and then post a corrected version in another post.

(although with variable FVF on international depending on sellers domestic shipping that chart could get complicated and might not really be a viable thing)
Message 36 of 68
latest reply

Self-reported to moderator, as suggested!

Message 37 of 68
latest reply

What a fabulous piece of work this rate chart is! Congratulations & thanks!

Message 38 of 68
latest reply

I made the same chart for myself, however today I shipped 3 first class items from MA to OH and I plugged in Beverly Hills in to the listing and teh cost did not change for a 5ounce item the calculator is saying $2.60 egardless of distance.  Did Ebay renogiotate rates with USPS, or were they over charging us since 1/27/19?  Anyone experience this?

Message 39 of 68
latest reply

I always tried to cover the fees in my shipping then it is a simple analysis of what you want to get for the item.  If you are a free ship seller- there is no such thing- you have a shipping cost which is what is outlined in the formula and what you are asking less that is what you will end up woth minus 30 cent paypel fee.  You need to know your numbers it doesn't matter how you look at it!  There is no such thing as free lunch- someone pays will it be the buyer or you accept less!

Message 40 of 68
latest reply

@kirseller wrote: ... I plugged in Beverly Hills in to the listing and teh cost did not change for a 5ounce item the calculator is saying $2.60 egardless of distance.  Did Ebay renogiotate rates with USPS ...

There have been no changes in rates.  Sounds like you were figuring the postage cost for a flat (AKA Large envelope) rather than for a package.

Message 41 of 68
latest reply

@kirseller wrote:

I always tried to cover the fees in my shipping then it is a simple analysis of what you want to get for the item. 

Maybe you understand this but for the benefit of anyone else, the seller has to apply the same breakeven analysis to the sales price of the item, too, if you want to net a particular dollar amount.  If you want to net $10.00 in your pocket after all costs, and you paid $2.00 for the item, and you will have to pay eBay and Paypal fees, you must take the $12.00 and divide by 0.871 to get your breakeven selling price.  $12.00 / 0.871 = $13.78 selling price.  (This ignores the PayPal $0.30 fee.  You could add that in, too.)

$13.78 - $1.38 ebay fee - $0.40 paypal fee (ignoring the $0.30 paypal fee) = $12.00 - $2.00 original cost = $10.00 net profit in your pocket.

Message 42 of 68
latest reply

Such helpful information!  Thank you!

I started using calculated shipping for just about everything after having been burned on shipping to the west coast a few times (I'm in CT). 

I'm saving a copy of your charts just in case.

Message 43 of 68
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

BUT eBay has decided that Top Rated Sellers should continue to get the same 3% discount on Priority Mail that they have been getting.  So they will see prices that are 3% less than the published rates.

See post #4:  https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/USPS-Commercial-Plus-Rates-2019-eBay-Labels/m-p/29394313

Do TRS receive a discount for any USPS service besides Priority Mail?  USPS First Class Package?  USPS Media Mail?  Thanks!

Message 44 of 68
latest reply

Not for any other domestic services besides Priority and Priority Express.  

There might be some international discounts but I don't ship internationally so I didn't pay attention.

Message 45 of 68
latest reply