cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 buyer complaints they didn't get their package by date Ebay promised

I received 2 complaints today from buyers that didn't receive their packages by the date that i promised? I didn't promise any delivery date. I'm guessing Ebay did.

One opened a case and then sent me an Ebay message, the other left a positive feedback with a kinda negative message that said i don't give accurate shipping dates. i think they probably ment to give me a negative but gave me a positive my mistake who knows.

I contacted both buyers and told them that USPS does no guarantee any deliver date and i also do not guarantee a delivery date. Its possible Ebay does but they would need to call Ebay for that.  I ship same day or if its after 3pm i will ship it the next day.

Both of these packages are still in transit, and appear to be delayed. I gave both buyers the USPS consumer affairs number that i was given by my local post office and i also told them i would call on Tuesday as Monday is a holiday. I tried calling today but they were already closed when i got the number.

Am i going to be negatively effected by this? If i was to get a negative feedback because USPS didn't deliver the item by the date Ebay promised can that be removed?

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: 2 buyer complaints they didn't get their package by date Ebay promised

You can sign up online for email updates if you care to, and/or you could tell your buyers about that.  You should be protected from negative feedback for these transactions, so if you call, CS may remove those negs for you.

Message 16 of 31
latest reply

Ebay has to remove negatives left for late arrivals per their own policy.  You will of course have to call and demand it of course.

Late Deliveries

What happens when a delivery does not arrive by its guaranteed date and the seller has met all of the criteria?

For customers: If a Fast 'N Free item with a guaranteed delivery date arrives late, eBay will make it right for your buyer with one of these options:

• Voucher for a future eBay purchase
  • Free return label if the sellers accepts returns

For sellers: If a Fast 'N Free item arrives late even though you met the stated handling time, eBay will remove any negative or neutral feedback left by the customer regarding late delivery. We will also provide the buyer recompense for their inconvenience.

We will not protect against late shipment defects, and a seller's listings can be deactivated from the program if they fall below the performance requirements. We reserve the right to rescind this seller benefit at any time.

If I met my same-day or one-day handling time but the item is still delivered late, can buyers leave negative feedback?

eBay will remove negative or neutral feedback regarding late deliveries if the seller met their handling time.

What happens if a Fast 'N Free item arrives late due to weather delays?

eBay will protect the seller and make it right with the buyer when guaranteed items arrive late due to major and unexpected weather events.

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 17 of 31
latest reply

I had same problem with buyer complaining he didn't receive item by guaranteed delivery date. I explained that Ebay adds that to listing, that I don't/can't guarantee shipping delivery dates (I mostly use Media Mail!) . He would need to take that up with ebay. He purchased on a Saturday, paid on Sunday, and I shipped Monday USPS Priority Mail. I told there was no possible way to ship any faster to him. He left negative feedback (my first), and i reported him for making unresonable demands. Waiting to hear what, if any, imact that will have.
Message 18 of 31
latest reply

I tried to edit or delete the last, but ran into the time delay.    Sometimes I can see only new posts and not the older ones, and sometimes only the older ones and have to exit and re-enter to see the new ones ... thus the duplicated information.  Add in an infection that's making me loopy and... yeah well. 

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 19 of 31
latest reply

@no_zero369 wrote:

@dande2016 wrote:

When looking at your listings, a lot of them say guaranteed by such and such date.  You evidently have been opted into GD by ebay, they did that to me also without me knowing.  Go into your site preferences and opt out of Guarantee Delivery if you do not want it.

I am going to be harsh here in hopes the point is made - but this needs to be cleared up!

There is no more "opting in" or "opting out" of the Guaranteed Delivery (GD) program - PERIOD!  eBay made an announcement this Fall that ANY and ALL shipments that qualify for the "Fast n Free" designation, also meet the requirement for the GD program and would receive such.  It is eBay's call, because it is 1) eBay's estimate of delivery times AND 2) eBay's money on the line when the GD fails and someone has to pay!

So if you are so opposed to giving your buyers an advantage or something they may be looking for go and change your handling time to 4-days and that way you will guarantee your listings will never be in the GD program!

But please, read & understand the GD program.  It really IS a benefit to sellers.

To me looks like one can still opt in and out of GD because I have the first attachment on  my Sellers page and the other is where you opt out in site preferences.  What am I missing here? Or did you mean you cannot opt in and out if you offer free shipping?

Message 20 of 31
latest reply

Hopefully, the following information helps.    Also, the delivery date of the item is determined and guaranteed by eBay.  If the seller met their handling time and the package was scanned on time at the post office, eBay will compensate the buyer if the item is delivered late.

IF A GUARANTEED DELIVERY IS LATE

If an item arrives late, a buyer is allowed to submit a claimed shipping up to 30 days following the missed Guaranteed Delivery date. There are three compensation options for buyers:

1. Refund on shipping cost
  2. A voucher for a future eBay purchase 
  3. If the seller accepts returns, a free return label (seller must refund item).

RE:   You asked, "Am i going to be negatively effected by this?" 

If you met your handling time and the package was scanned on time at the post office, then you will not be affected if tracking shows "an on time scan".  You can enter the tracking numbers into the usps.com tracking portal and provide this information to Ebay.  This information should tell you exactly when your package was received at the Poat Office and Scanned.

You might want to opt out of Ebay Guaranteed Delivery.

Message 21 of 31
latest reply

@remote_controls_and_more wrote:

I received 2 complaints today from buyers that didn't receive their packages by the date that i promised? I didn't promise any delivery date. I'm guessing Ebay did.

One opened a case and then sent me an Ebay message, the other left a positive feedback with a kinda negative message that said i don't give accurate shipping dates. i think they probably ment to give me a negative but gave me a positive my mistake who knows.

I contacted both buyers and told them that USPS does no guarantee any deliver date and i also do not guarantee a delivery date. Its possible Ebay does but they would need to call Ebay for that.  I ship same day or if its after 3pm i will ship it the next day.

Both of these packages are still in transit, and appear to be delayed. I gave both buyers the USPS consumer affairs number that i was given by my local post office and i also told them i would call on Tuesday as Monday is a holiday. I tried calling today but they were already closed when i got the number.

Am i going to be negatively effected by this? If i was to get a negative feedback because USPS didn't deliver the item by the date Ebay promised can that be removed?

What I find worrisome these days is that I'm getting more and more tracking messages that say a package is delayed. Thank god I have insurance on my most expensive items, but this is really frustrating when you pay for Priority post and the item is not there a week later?

Message 22 of 31
latest reply

No one can control the weather, traffic, and many of the variables of getting a package from point A to point B.   I try not to over promise things to my buyers.   The last thing I need is another reason to give money back for something totally out of my control.   Even the post office with all their money, resources, and whatnots do not guarantee packages.  No guaranteed delivery for me and I can guarantee that! wink

Message 23 of 31
latest reply

@evelyb30 

If you are a seller in the Guaranteed Delivery program, then yes there are some protections in regards to FB for being in the program.

HOWEVER that gets a bit more tricky if the buyer says something else in their negative FB besides something about late delivery.  Or if they leave negative FB and there is no mention of late delivery.

So it is NOT a given that just because you are in the Guaranteed Delivery program that you have protection from Neg FBs.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 24 of 31
latest reply

@dande2016 wrote:

To me looks like one can still opt in and out of GD because I have the first attachment on  my Sellers page and the other is where you opt out in site preferences.  What am I missing here? Or did you mean you cannot opt in and out if you offer free shipping?

I have no idea as I don't have the option to opt in or out of the GDP on my seller account.

That said, the basis of my comments is from announcements by eBay and confirmation of such from blues here.  After all it wouldn't be the first time eBay instituted a change and left "detritus" laying around on its website that is non-functional.  {opt in & out}  Shoot I had the option of "restocking fees" available until late last year.

So IF your shipment meets the requirements for Fast n Free, the way I understand it is eBay may decide to opt that shipment into the GDP.

Message 25 of 31
latest reply

i paid for my item 1/20 and the seller said he wasn't going to ship it. Case opened on 2/7 and still nothing from ebay or seller. After 17 years im getting screwed for a $60 order, meanwhile my watched list is full of new truck parts. I guess its time to go to Amazon and try my luck there. 

Message 26 of 31
latest reply

@dande2016 wrote:

@no_zero369 wrote:

@dande2016 wrote:

When looking at your listings, a lot of them say guaranteed by such and such date.  You evidently have been opted into GD by ebay, they did that to me also without me knowing.  Go into your site preferences and opt out of Guarantee Delivery if you do not want it.

I am going to be harsh here in hopes the point is made - but this needs to be cleared up!

There is no more "opting in" or "opting out" of the Guaranteed Delivery (GD) program - PERIOD!  eBay made an announcement this Fall that ANY and ALL shipments that qualify for the "Fast n Free" designation, also meet the requirement for the GD program and would receive such.  It is eBay's call, because it is 1) eBay's estimate of delivery times AND 2) eBay's money on the line when the GD fails and someone has to pay!

So if you are so opposed to giving your buyers an advantage or something they may be looking for go and change your handling time to 4-days and that way you will guarantee your listings will never be in the GD program!

But please, read & understand the GD program.  It really IS a benefit to sellers.

I  opted out of GD.

I had 2 day handling. Some items were showing GD in search, but when ticking on the GD up on the left right, zero items are seen.

eBay will go by the sellers "historical data" when it comes to handling time rather than the actual handling time selected.

To be covered by eBay if opted into GD the seller must HAVE A CARRIER SCAN in time.

I have changed to 3 day handling to cover weather/internet issues/senior moments.

eBay is still showing estimated delivery "on or before" the day that I actually need to ship by. It is no wonder that buyers are getting annoyed.

I have not checked to see if items with 3 day handling are showing GD to anyone.

Message 27 of 31
latest reply

This is turning into a nightmare, I just got my 4th message in 2 days about a delivery being late. I hope this doesn't become a trend.
Message 28 of 31
latest reply

@david_renner wrote:

i paid for my item 1/20 and the seller said he wasn't going to ship it. Case opened on 2/7 and still nothing from ebay or seller. After 17 years im getting screwed for a $60 order, meanwhile my watched list is full of new truck parts. I guess its time to go to Amazon and try my luck there. 

@david_renner 

There must be something going on with your claim.  Go to your Resolution center and call up the claim.  When you go into the claim it should tell the the status and what the next step is.  An INR case should not have taken this long to resolve.  So check the status of the claim.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 29 of 31
latest reply

per Ebay:

"You can opt out at any time by navigating to Account Settings > Site Preferences > eBay Guaranteed Delivery Setting. Click "Show," then "Edit". Lastly, select "I want to opt out of eBay Guaranteed Delivery," and click "Continue." You may opt back in at any time. "

Which is exactly what I have now done. Who needs the aggravation of buyers taking it to heart & not realizing that it has NOTHING to do with you, the seller. I ship next day & always get scanned at the PO, & yet I still already got a complaint that they didn't get their package from FL to TX by Media Mail in the THREE DAYS that Ebay apparently "Guaranteed" in Email to the buyer after purchase. Not cool, Ebay !!!!

Message 30 of 31
latest reply