cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, August 18 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

Hi everyone! Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Velvet,
eBay
Message 1 of 75
latest reply
74 REPLIES 74

Re: Community Chat, August 18 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

@myhomeschooldelights wrote:

On the "Share Tech Issues" board there is a post just a little while ago from a seller stating her managed payments funds are now on hold until buyers receive their items.  She was told by customer service that it is because her account has been designated as "casual", meaning over a rolling 2 year period she has to sell at least 25 items.  When asked where the documentation was on site, or the announcement that this was starting this month, the customer service rep could not point her to the information on site.  The only link provided was out of date, still referring to PayPal.   

I have no idea what this is.  If a seller is going to have a status change to their account, why can they not see that on their MP summary page?  Or somewhere at least?  And what is this "Casual Seller" status exactly,  how is it defined, how does it affect us, and where is the documentation on site announcing this?  Thanks.

Hi @myhomeschooldelights - great to hear from you! I hope things are going well and that you're enjoying the last days of Summer (can you believe we're already almost through?).

Just like before eBay managed payments, there are situations where we will place funds on a temporary hold. There are a variety of reasons for the holds, and one of them is based on selling activity. For members that sell casually (used to be called 'occasionally') we will place funds on hold until the item is delivered. 

A casual seller who has their payments managed by eBay is defined as: A seller who has not completed 25 transactions in the last 2 years. These holds are eligible for an early release based on proof of successful delivery and that can be done by CS directly. 

As to public facing documentation, there isn't anything that goes into specific detail like I've shared, but it is briefly mentioned in the T&Cs for payments (the 'Holds' section in Section 7). Specifically, "Each hold may be based on factors including selling history, seller performance, returns, chargebacks, riskiness of the listing category, transaction value, the ability to make direct debits from your Linked Financial Account, or the filing of eBay Buyer Protection Program claims."

I hope that helps!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 31 of 75
latest reply

I see one poster here says Basic Stores can have 1000 free auction posts.

But my store ia limited to to 350. Why is that?

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here

Message 32 of 75
latest reply

jasmen@ebay wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

It amazes me each time a seasoned seller comes to the Payment forums to complain about the fee structure in MP.  It is as if they never looked at their fee structure before MP as there are many that complain about having to pay FVF on shipping, which has been in place for over 10 years now.  Or international fees on buyers from another country purchasing and then have the item shipped to a US address.  Apparently they didn't realize that PP charged the fee as well.  Or the per transaction fee, there are some that never realize they paid that in PP either [now it is 49 cents].

This issue I know you can't help with as it is just something that needs to be explained to each seller as they state this stuff.  

But here is one that you might be able to have the proper department help with.  In the Seller Hub, under the Performance Tab there is a Summary page.  There is a box on this page called Selling Costs.

Selling Costs Graphic.JPG

While if someone spends a moment with this screen it is clear what it is showing.  However that isn't what is happening with many sellers.  Seasoned Sellers that apparently have no idea of what their costs are on Ebay even after years of selling.  They look at this graphic and come away with that their FVFs with Ebay are 28%.

Now reading what this graphic says clearly tells you differently, but lots of people don't see the explanation of the graphic and assume the 28% is their FVF paid to Ebay, not seeing that part of that percentage is shipping charges ran through Ebay and taxes.

I would suggest one graphic for JUST Ebay fees, all of them, store, FVF, promo fees etc.  And separate graphics for other costs Ebay wants to show us.  Knowing that the only way Ebay has to track shipping costs would be for those that are paid through Ebay and the same holds true for taxes as a seller.  

Thanks for the feedback @mam98031 you're always so insightful, and we appreciate you so much! 😊 I have talked to many sellers myself that assume that percentage is what they pay in FVF so I get it for sure. On the payments page when you pull up a transaction it will give a breakdown there too for that specific transaction, but I get what you are saying and it totally makes sense! 

Oh believe me I know where we can get the actual FVF numbers.  That isn't an issue.  This particular Graphics can be significantly improved and should be.  There should be a separate graphic for Ebay fees. 

We all have to stay aware that even many seasoned sellers aren't bookkeepers nor do they understand much to do with it.  KEEP IT SIMPLE should be the moto here.  So that even those inexperienced people can understand. 

Putting together three different costs, two of which Ebay has limited info on, is not helpful.  The only category they have full info on  is Ebay fees.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 33 of 75
latest reply

I noticed that during last night's scheduled maintenance period... that I was unable to view my store during that time frame (approx. 10pm Pacific; Tues. Aug 17):

https://www.ebay.com/str/disneyanaauctions

Unfortunately, anyone trying to view my store was provided with a somewhat misleading message... that no such store existed.

Even though the message was resolved by this morning... I'm wondering if the tech / maintenance teams might be able to provide a more accurate reflection as to why a valid store name is inaccessible for the moment... ie. "undergoing routine maintenance"... "servers currently unavailable due to scheduled maintenance"... or something of that sort.

For regular customers to read that after more than two decades... my eBay store no longer exists... they are then left to wonder why that might be the case.  Did I close my store?  Did eBay close my store?  Did I do something inappropriate?  None of those assumptions would be true... but those could be logical assumptions under the circumstances.

Obviously, it's not a high priotity request... but perhaps we can see some kind of adjustment that prevents shoppers from being told that eBay has no record of our store... or that the glitch is only temporary?

Thanks for your consideration.

Dave Mason

User ID:  SaturdaysToys

-----

Message 34 of 75
latest reply

I have tried using Chrome and had the same issues. I have also tried clearing cache and  cookies vs. not clearing cookies and cache for a while to see if it makes a difference. I always investigate thoroughly before mentioning anything like this. Thanks again for the suggestions anyway.

Message 35 of 75
latest reply

@dentalsales4u wrote:

Thank you @Tyler

FireFox, Chrome and FireFox Ice Dragon (another FireFox browser)

It only happens in the FireFox Ice Dragon browser version 65.0.2 (64-bit) with user id discountdentalwarehouse.

It tells me I am up to date as I have it set for auto updates.

This is super helpful @dentalsales4u - sorry, just to make sure I'm on the same page: this is only happening with the discountdental id, and only with the FF Ice Dragon browser?

I'm trying to sort out whether it seems like the problem follows your user id or the browser. I'm inclined to believe it's the user id - would you mind testing this by logging into a chrome browser with your discountdental id and seeing if it does the same thing?

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 36 of 75
latest reply

@tsme35 wrote:

Also pass along how many complaints showing up on the boards, buyers waiting months to file "does not recognize" and sellers losing. Sounds like a another scam going around, I have one I'm waiting on that was file a couple weeks agao

Sadly buyers have been doing this for years.  Sometimes the buyer is actually telling the truth and they just didn't recognize it.  But one I got the other day was clearly not that as the buyer knew full well what it was for, they just couldn't file an Ebay claim because they were well past the return window.  And this way they can keep the product and maybe get their money back too.

Message 37 of 75
latest reply

@tsme35 wrote:

When is ebay going to do something about the duplicate auctions, are they not smart enough to know if you flood the market the value decreases dramatically. Can't report them because sometime last year the auction's were change to list as many of the same item as you want. I'm seeing 3-10 listings of the same item, size, color and name listed at the same time. I've had to cut a 1/3 of my inventory because I can't sell the same items when their listing 3-10 auctions per week and the only sell for pennies. Ebay is losing a ton of money and honestly I don't even see out they could make any money selling the items at that price

Hey @tsme35! I appreciate the feedback and also wonder how those sellers are surviving if they're selling items for pennies. I want to make sure that you know what is allowed with duplicate listings though, so you can report any you come across that are in violation of our duplicate listing policy. If you find any that don't meet the below requirements, please be sure to file that report:

• Have the same start price
  • Have the same reserve price
  • Have the same title and description
  • Don’t use the Buy It Now option

Thanks!

Velvet,
eBay
Message 38 of 75
latest reply

what is does not recognize?

Message 39 of 75
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

It amazes me each time a seasoned seller comes to the Payment forums to complain about the fee structure in MP.  It is as if they never looked at their fee structure before MP as there are many that complain about having to pay FVF on shipping, which has been in place for over 10 years now.  Or international fees on buyers from another country purchasing and then have the item shipped to a US address.  Apparently they didn't realize that PP charged the fee as well.  Or the per transaction fee, there are some that never realize they paid that in PP either [now it is 49 cents].

This issue I know you can't help with as it is just something that needs to be explained to each seller as they state this stuff.  

But here is one that you might be able to have the proper department help with.  In the Seller Hub, under the Performance Tab there is a Summary page.  There is a box on this page called Selling Costs.

Selling Costs Graphic.JPG

While if someone spends a moment with this screen it is clear what it is showing.  However that isn't what is happening with many sellers.  Seasoned Sellers that apparently have no idea of what their costs are on Ebay even after years of selling.  They look at this graphic and come away with that their FVFs with Ebay are 28%.

Now reading what this graphic says clearly tells you differently, but lots of people don't see the explanation of the graphic and assume the 28% is their FVF paid to Ebay, not seeing that part of that percentage is shipping charges ran through Ebay and taxes.

I would suggest one graphic for JUST Ebay fees, all of them, store, FVF, promo fees etc.  And separate graphics for other costs Ebay wants to show us.  Knowing that the only way Ebay has to track shipping costs would be for those that are paid through Ebay and the same holds true for taxes as a seller.  

-----

Edit: A reply to your comment can be found here

Good idea. Problem is, doesn't matter how much they dumb it down, some still won't accept it even when it is explained in detail, as evidenced by one recent thread about it☹️  That person even presented the graph as proof to back their misconception.

Message 40 of 75
latest reply

When I click "contact" buyer from the sold item page or listing page I get redirected to my message inbox instead of to the send message page. This has left me unable to contact buyers when I have a reason to do so. Is this a known issue? If not can you please get it reported?

-----

Message 41 of 75
latest reply

(If this was discussed last week, I apologize. I was never able to  find last week's discussion.)

I was really excited about eBay Open!

But when I went there, I was only able to "attend" the three specific events assigned to me.

A CS rep said that was true. That we couldn't hear the keynote addresses, or participate in other events, until the recordings were posted. What's up with that?!?

-----

Message 42 of 75
latest reply

velvet@ebay wrote:

@tsme35 wrote:

When is ebay going to do something about the duplicate auctions, are they not smart enough to know if you flood the market the value decreases dramatically. Can't report them because sometime last year the auction's were change to list as many of the same item as you want. I'm seeing 3-10 listings of the same item, size, color and name listed at the same time. I've had to cut a 1/3 of my inventory because I can't sell the same items when their listing 3-10 auctions per week and the only sell for pennies. Ebay is losing a ton of money and honestly I don't even see out they could make any money selling the items at that price

Hey @tsme35! I appreciate the feedback and also wonder how those sellers are surviving if they're selling items for pennies. I want to make sure that you know what is allowed with duplicate listings though, so you can report any you come across that are in violation of our duplicate listing policy. If you find any that don't meet the below requirements, please be sure to file that report:

• Have the same start price
  • Have the same reserve price
  • Have the same title and description
  • Don’t use the Buy It Now option

Thanks!

Is there a sell through rate factor too?  There use to be one.  We see this a lot with Asian sellers and have for many years.  I know I've reported them in the past with no luck, I'm sure others can attest to the same thing.

-----

Message 43 of 75
latest reply

After several days of routine and repeated Captcha screening... sometimes to no avail (preventing us from logging  in)... yesterday and today we've had absolutely no trouble with Captcha.  The system allowed us to log-in without Captcha... a much more satisfying experience.

We always use the latest version of Google Chrome... and have been having trouble for approx. 2 weeks though we haven't made any changes to our computer other than routine Windows or Google Chrome updates.

Bottom line... we were very pleased to have an easier time logging in to eBay... but we can't tell why things are working better.  We didn't do anything to cause the improvement.

Message 44 of 75
latest reply

I clear all cookies and temp files at the end of each day before I shut my computer down, so that's not it.

Message 45 of 75
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: